PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone help me setup a pid in hptuner?

Old 05-16-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can anyone help me setup a pid in hptuner?

I am trying to use the egr to run my wideband in hptuner. I cant figure out how to set up the pid for it. can somone give me step by step instructions on this? I am using AEM UEGO wideband.
Thanks!

By the way, I read over the threads covering setting up pids for things like this but cant seem to get it right.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:04 AM
TECH Regular

noone????????????
Old 05-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fletchls1
noone????????????
I gotcha man!!!

Open VCM Scanner
Open the Table Display
Right Click in the table
Click Insert
Click Configure User Defined
Go to one thats undefined
Down where it says Function: clear out the white text box and enter this:
([PID. 2810]/.5)+10

Voila
Old 05-18-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

thanks. I managed to get that far but when I went to log it never showed up. I talked to someone and he was able to tell me what my problem was. I had to put the egr in the table...duhh....
Old 05-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a tutorial I wrote up if you want it for future reference:

Reading a Wideband through the EGR or A/C Pressure Switch

EGR

• The EGR wire is located at Pin 55 on the Blue Connector of the PCM.

• On vehicles that come with and EGR, there will be a Brown wire at Pin 55, it is designated “EGR Pintle Position Sensor Signal” in a pinout schematic.

• If your vehicle did not come equipped with an EGR (Corvette), just add a wire to the PCM at Pin 55, everything still works the same. I went to a junkyard and found a plug under the hood of a GM vehicle with the same type of ends as the PCM wires.

• Connect the Wideband 02 wire with the 0-5v output to the EGR wire at Pin 55. This may be all you need to do with some widebands, some others require a ground. Check the wiring schematic for your specific unit.

A/C Pressure Switch

• There are 3 wires connected to the A/C Pressure sensor. The Red wire with Black stripe that is going to the PCM is the one we want to use. You can go to a junkyard and find another connector to plug into this so you can switch back and forth or you can buy a Maintain switch that, when you switch it one way it reads from the A/C sensor and when switched the other way, it reads from the Wideband O2 output wire. Either way will work fine, so that you can easily put it back to normal when done tuning.

HP Tuner Scanner

• Now that the wiring is done, you need to set it up in HP Tuners. You will need some information on your specific wideband that will be in the widebands paperwork. You will have to set up a formula to change the voltage (0-5v) into your AFR wideband reading. It will look like this:

VOLTS / (VOLTAGE RANGE/DEVICE RANGE) + (MINIMUM VALUE OF DEVICE READING) = AFR

VOLTS = the voltage that the wideband 02 sensor is putting out to the EGR wire

VOLTAGE RANGE = typically 5v (0-5v), some people use the narrowband 02 input (not recommended) which is 1v (0-1v)

DEVICE RANGE = the range your wideband is set to read. If the wideband is set to read from 10 – 20 AFR, then the range will be 10. If set to read from 8 – 22 AFR, the range will be 14, etc.

MINIMUM VALUE OF DEVICE READING = the lowest number that your wideband is set to read. In the above examples, it would be 10 for the first example, and 8 for the second.

I am using a PLX SM-AFR 250, so I will use it for my example. The formula will be:

VOLTS / (5/10) + 10 = AFR or,

(VOLTS / .5) + 10 = AFR

• Since HP Tuners Scanner will be using the EGR or AC Pressure switch to get its readings from, we need to add that into the formula. The PID for the EGR on LS1 based cars is PID.2811 (EGR Position). Now the formula reads like this:

([PID.2811]/.5)+10 = AFR

• The formula for the A/C Pressure switch is the same, you will just have to change the PID to PID.7101.

([PID.7101]/.5)+10 = AFR

Custom PID

• Open Table Display in Scanner

• Right click any blank line and choose Insert

• This will open the Insert PIDs display

• Here you will see PID List, AUX Input List and User Defined. Click the + next to User Defined to open the drop down list

• Double click Configure User Defined to open Configure User Defined Parameters

• Click on one of the numbers with <undefined> next to it

• For Name:, put the name of your choice, say, Air Fuel Ratio

• For Abbrv:, put AFR

• For Sensor:, open the drop down box and choose Air Fuel Ratio

• For Units:, open the drop down box and choose :1

• Under Function:, insert your formula. For the SM-AFR it is ([PID.2811]/.5)+10

• If you are using the A/C Pressure switch, use the formula: ([PID.7101]/.5)+10

• That’s it, just click the X at the top right to close the box and click the Save icon on the Histogram Configuration page.

• To make a custom PID for AFR % Error make your way back to the Configure User Defined Parameters page. There will already be an Air Fuel Ratio Error PID. Open it and look at the information in the Function box.

• Copy this formula EXACTLY. It will look like this:

100*([SENS.120]-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121]

• Since SENS.120 is the AFR SENSOR we want to create a new Custom PID and substitute our new formula in place of SENS.120, then enter this into the Function box. Now it will look like this:

100*((([PID.2811]/.5)+10)-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121] or

100*((([PID.7101]/.5)+10)-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121] for the A/C Pressure switch.

• On this Custom PID, give it a name, use AFR%Error for the Abbrv, leave Sensor blank, and use % for Units.

• Now, you can change the information in your VE and MAF Histograms to use the custom PIDs that you just made.

• Don’t forget that you will have to log EGR Position ((PID List/Engine/Emissions/EGR Position (V)) for reading throught the EGR or A/C Pressure ((PID List/System/AC/AC Pressure (V)), AFR, AFR % Error and AFR Commanded in the Table display. Also, in Editor, you have to enable EGR if it has been disabled or your car didn’t come with it.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000c-5
Here is a tutorial I wrote up if you want it for future reference:
blah blah blah
you're so ****, it's entirely too complicated, some of us dont need that level of precision
Old 05-19-2007, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
you're so ****, it's entirely too complicated, some of us dont need that level of precision

You love me.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000c-5

You love me.
LONG TIME!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:49 AM
Banned

sorry to resurect this thread but i can seem to get mine working with this function
([PID. 2810]/.5)+10

its pin 47 for EGR position on a 2000 fbody right?
Old 06-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Teching In

If I want to use another 0-5v pin in addition to EGR (C5)... how would I find the PID location for HP Tuners?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can anyone help me setup a pid in hptuner?