Tsp Ls2 Fbody Swap-no Tach!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 06:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tsp Ls2 Fbody Swap-no Tach!

Ok here it is-2000 WS6 Texas Speed 402/LS2,6speed car converted to TH400
The tach does not work.TSP said to switch the wires on the cam sensor,I did
that & the tach worked very intermittently,20% of the time.I already replaced the eng sensor fuse(it was blown) & the vehicle ran better than before(the idle was surging & the lower rpm response sucked),however the
tach is still not working-the wire swapping seems to have no effect on the
way the vehicle drives.
When the motor was purchased from TSP it came with an LS2 harness that
plugs into the wiring harness cam sensor plug(also has knock sensor relocation harness)This is the one they said to swap.The motor has only about 100 miles on it so I don't think the cambolts would be loose.Its a
double roller timing chain from TSP that came with the motor,it is spaced properly from the oil pump.The relucter wheel is the one that came with the
motor.All wires appear to be ok,nothing burnt.Any wire extensions for 02
sensors have been soldered & shrink wrapped.
At this point I'm almost lost-really need some insight from someone who
has done an LS2 FBODY swap or anyone that can help for that matter.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

Just did one a few weeks ago and had the same problem. It ended up being the cam sensor wires were wrong in the adapter harness. The tach wouldnt work and gave me a cam sensor fault in the pcm, I dont remeber if the check engine light came on or not. If I rember right, its the 2 outside wires on the adapter.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by minytrker
Just did one a few weeks ago and had the same problem. It ended up being the cam sensor wires were wrong in the adapter harness. The tach wouldnt work and gave me a cam sensor fault in the pcm, I dont remeber if the check engine light came on or not. If I rember right, its the 2 outside wires on the adapter.
which wires,the outer ones on the cam sensor plug by the timing cover?
i changed those but the tach is still intermittent,the way texas speed sent it the engine cranked hard before starting but no tach,starts ok after the wire swap but the tach is intermittent.could you provide alittle more detail please
Old 05-22-2007, 02:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

Yes, it was the ones by the timing cover. You have to look at the apater and the other wires to make sure they are correct. The adapter I had switched them when they didnt need to be. I ended up looking a wiring diagram and the stock plugs and pin postions to figure it out.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by minytrker
Yes, it was the ones by the timing cover. You have to look at the apater and the other wires to make sure they are correct. The adapter I had switched them when they didnt need to be. I ended up looking a wiring diagram and the stock plugs and pin postions to figure it out.
just pulled the wiring diagram & have the correct pins numbered with the
correct wires to go from ls1 to ls2.according to the gm diagram the current
2 positions i have been swapping are incorrect,the diagram says the center wire is in the wrong position-i will have to wait to go home & see for myself
in about an hour.I will post as soon as this problem is fixed-it has pissed me off to no end,so if i can help someone who's got this going on I certainly will.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Teching In

I also did an LS2 swap and still have this issue. I have swapped the outside wires, changed the sensor, verified the timing gear bolts were tight, and recently ran a set of jumpers from the back of the PCM to the sensor itself. I get 11.4 volts down the feed wire and regardless of what I do... it still manages to outlast my patience. My next step is going to be replacing the PCM; other than that, I don't have a clue? Hopefully you will find the magic cure and make the rest of us feel stupid for not thinking of it first.
Best of Luck to you... and PLEASE let me know if you find a solution.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hallsj1
I also did an LS2 swap and still have this issue. I have swapped the outside wires, changed the sensor, verified the timing gear bolts were tight, and recently ran a set of jumpers from the back of the PCM to the sensor itself. I get 11.4 volts down the feed wire and regardless of what I do... it still manages to outlast my patience. My next step is going to be replacing the PCM; other than that, I don't have a clue? Hopefully you will find the magic cure and make the rest of us feel stupid for not thinking of it first.
Best of Luck to you... and PLEASE let me know if you find a solution.
Ok The car is fixed!for those not familiar the tach was inop on an LS2/FBODY
swap.I pulled the wiring diagram from shop key for an 06 vette & 2000 ws6.
The harness that TSP sent was wired wrong-this is what fixed mine.red wire
goes to center of cam sensor terminal,I swapped brown/white with pink/white
& it worked-I know for a fact that the red is in the center & the other 2 are
on the outside-you may need to swap the outer 2(brown/white & pink white)
& the tach will work.When mine was wrong it would start hard,then after swapping the wires it would start normal,but no tach-putting the red wire in the center made the difference.Don't forget to check the the 02 harness for chaffed wires.Found a pulled pin in the ds o2 harness connector that caused
black plugs on that bank.It did not throw the 02 code but a random misfire.
definately worth checking that & the eng sensor fuse(20 amp behind the
ds headlamp)
In short my problems were just simple stuff that was repaired with common
sense & persistance.Check the basics first!Hope this helps.
By the way,after getting it running right the rearend broke after 2 1st gear
stabs at half throttle(broke when it shifted into 2nd)LOL-these are the types of problems I want after an LS2/402 build-LOL-Time for the 9 inch
Old 05-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Teching In

When I first read your message, you had me giggling like a school girl. However, I made the corrections and still no tach. I will get some tach movement upon startup, but it goes right back to zero. The only new thing is that the code being thrown is now p0343. I don't have a clue where to go from here. I do however really appreciate your suggestion and wanted to say thanks for the PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

While browsing I came upon this thread as I am having the same problem on my new 402 swap.Code 342,very hard start/occasional pops in intake.No idle/below 1500 rpms,does have a tach though. I have the adapter harness as well and am thinking I also have a crossed wire.Will check tomorrow and post back as I have NO patience and want to drive my car soon !Thanks for the info and taking time to post up results !
Old 05-25-2007, 07:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by highpockets
While browsing I came upon this thread as I am having the same problem on my new 402 swap.Code 342,very hard start/occasional pops in intake.No idle/below 1500 rpms,does have a tach though. I have the adapter harness as well and am thinking I also have a crossed wire.Will check tomorrow and post back as I have NO patience and want to drive my car soon !Thanks for the info and taking time to post up results !
the tach will still work if the wire is backwards,this i know.I had to swap the wires several times to make it work.Mine popped & hard started when it was wrong,once it was fixed it statrted perfect everytime.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:05 AM
Staging Lane

When I first read your message, you had me giggling like a school girl. However, I made the corrections and still no tach. I will get some tach movement upon startup, but it goes right back to zero. The only new thing is that the code being thrown is now p0343. I don't have a clue where to go from here. I do however really appreciate your suggestion and wanted to say thanks for the PM.
I'm convinced you still have a crossed wire,w/o the diagram you at the Proccess of elimination point-3 wires,3 pins,9 possible combinations.You wont hurt anything by swapping.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Agreed, I have removed the factory conector and soldered in bullet style quick disconnects. I am going to run through all possible combinations tommorow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:39 AM
Staging Lane

Agreed, I have removed the factory conector and soldered in bullet style quick disconnects. I am going to run through all possible combinations tommorow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
You will fix it my son,persist onward.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Well mine was the two outside wires backwards ! Center wire was correct.Tach worked both ways but car started right up(like always) with the correct wire positions ! Now on to the final tune(and a little nitrous)
Old 05-29-2007, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by highpockets
Well mine was the two outside wires backwards ! Center wire was correct.Tach worked both ways but car started right up(like always) with the correct wire positions ! Now on to the final tune(and a little nitrous)
Hell yeah,persistance pays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great job!

Quick Reply: Tsp Ls2 Fbody Swap-no Tach!