Sponsored by:

Tuning VE with wideband?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning VE with wideband?

Is there a write up on how to do this?

I've read through using the LTFT/STFTs to adjust the VE, but I notice people mentioning that using a WB is more preferable for getting the VE right. Being new to my wideband, I can't see how to go about doing this. Can someone shed some light for me?

Do you need to hook the WB into HP tuners (rather than using the stand alone software, i.e. Logworks)?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd recommend checking out the Sticky thread which starts out with 'Read Me First' in this forum. If you have more questions there's lots of help around here
Old 06-24-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro ChriSS
Is there a write up on how to do this?

I've read through using the LTFT/STFTs to adjust the VE, but I notice people mentioning that using a WB is more preferable for getting the VE right. Being new to my wideband, I can't see how to go about doing this. Can someone shed some light for me?

Do you need to hook the WB into HP tuners (rather than using the stand alone software, i.e. Logworks)?
lol yes you need some kind of tuning tool and software.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Yeah. I've read that several times over. Thats kind of why I'm asking.

Honestly, couldn't find much about it, other than using the LTFTs/STFTs. Which I've done before. Looking for more on the WB method. I may have missed something perhaps?

I have my tuning tools. I am fairly well versed in most tuning. I just haven't found a doc to help me out on this little part.

Obviously I'm missing something simple here, so a polite little "read this" would help.

Thanks.

Last edited by Camaro ChriSS; 06-24-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which WB are you using?
Old 06-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Launching!

The LC-1. It works pretty darn good so far. I haven't had some of the problems others have reported. Been great for my WOT tuning.

I'm just not sure how to use it to get values to adjust my VE table more accurately.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

You need the MPVI Pro version of the HPTuners to direct connect additional inputs. With that in mind:

Standard vs. Pro version of interface:
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2924

How to connect, configure, and log an attached wideband:
http://www.hptuners.com/help/index.h...connecting.htm

In a nutshell, off the top of my head:

1. Properly connect your wideband to the MPVI Pro using the built-in help file.
1a. Physically disconnect the MAF (or set the MAF Fail to 0 Hz).
1b. In your calibration, disable Deceleration Fuel Cut off by setting it to 284*, Disable LTFT's, disable Cat Overtemp Protection. Use the VCM controls to reset the LTFT's.

2. Log the following PID's in the top section of the Table Display... remove extraneous PID's so your sample rate will be faster:

- Engine RPM (SAE)
- Air Fuel Ratio Commanded Hi Res
- Engine Coolant Temp

3. At the bottom of your table display, there will be two more sections for EIO inputs and EIO outputs. They will be grayed out unless you manually add a device. Remember the EIO input you connected your WB to? Well, find that input in this section, right click that cell and choose 'Insert'. Expand the WB O2 container and highlight the wideband you have, then close the window.

4. In your Histogram display, I think page 6 or 7 defaults to 'VE - AFR Error'. If not, you can select any page and click the folder icon to open the included 'VE - AFR Error.hst'. Once open, it will display an error message if you are not logging the correct PID's to populate the table. Click the configure icon and change the cell hits from 0 to a higher value, at least 10, some choose 50.

5. Turn on your wideband and let it warm up, start the car, then start logging. The Error histogram we added earlier will show the percentile difference between what the PCM is requesting, and what the wideband is reporting. Try to hit as many cells as possible using very slow and smooth throttle inputs

Right-click the table with the error values and choose Copy. In the Editor, open the Primary and Secondary (if applicable) VE tables. In the Primary, right-click, choose Paste Special -- Multiple by %. If you have a Secondary table, manually copy the 10, 20, 30, ... rows from the Primary to the Secondary.

Write this calibration, log again, rinse lather repeat for as many cells as you can hit in the histogram. Once your cells are typically below 4% error, then you can start pasting using the 'Multiple by % - Half' in the Primary table (and don't forget to copy to the Seconday if you have one).

I'm tired and I'm sure I forgot some detail, but hopefulyl others will chime in. Once you are happy with the VE table, you can work on recalibrating the MAF curve
Old 06-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Thanks Jim. That will certainly get me going. Sounds very similar to doing it with the FTs.

Quick Reply: Tuning VE with wideband?