PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wont downshift when mashing pedel (logs,configs,tunes included)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 05:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
Bill I haven't seen this before, could this possibly be related to my non-downshifting tranny?
I don't think so. I ran into an issue similar to yours that I could never figure out. IE built tranny that would respond to any tranny changes I made.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
I don't think so. I ran into an issue similar to yours that I could never figure out. IE built tranny that would respond to any tranny changes I made.

I had previously tuned a 99 f-body with a built tranny that would upshift and downshift, but the upshifts were always at 5800 1-2 and 6100 2-3.... didn't matter WHERE the MPH tables were or even setting RPMS up to 7500....

But the one that won't downshift has skipped a gear or two on upshift on occasion too...
Old 08-04-2007, 04:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DóòD
Oooh...Ok..
I was thinking it was just a checkbox setting in the DTC listing..
But you set:
P0121 Error Max MAP 100kPa
P0121 Error Min MAP 0kPa
This is used by the PCM to check pressure reading from the MAP and compare it to the value of the TPS sensor. The larger cammed cars have a higher rate of airflow and the PCM freaks out because the TPS reading doesnt correlate. This will absolutely not allow your trans to downshift when its supposed to. I had the same thing happen to me and changed these values and it went away. Sometimes it will not throw the P0121 code and sometimes it will.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WS6Drop
This is used by the PCM to check pressure reading from the MAP and compare it to the value of the TPS sensor. The larger cammed cars have a higher rate of airflow and the PCM freaks out because the TPS reading doesnt correlate. This will absolutely not allow your trans to downshift when its supposed to. I had the same thing happen to me and changed these values and it went away. Sometimes it will not throw the P0121 code and sometimes it will.
Had the same problem and no it wont let the tranny downshift. Corrected the error on the P0121 and never had a issue since.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Holy F@#$ Sh@#%% YEAH!!!!!

IT WORKS!!!!
IT WORKS!!!!
IT WORKS!!!!

I dont know what else to say other than F@#$# YEAH!!!!!

This problem has been doggin me for a very..very..long time! So bad in fact I've had thoughts of junking the car and eating the cash I put into it.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!
If I ever encounter any of you in person...the beers, shots and women are on me!!!

I still have some tweakin to do with the trans tables. (have a lil 'bump' at 50 mph on an easy accelaration, but I think its because I'm using a somebody elses shift tables that could be better for my setup. I'll load my previous tables back in and tweak those.)
BUT..at the end of the day?... It didnt do the infamous 1-4 shift at all since the change was made! I havent even bothered to log it to confirm because..well..its obvious when it occurs.

It feels like a new car!
Old 08-04-2007, 11:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Congrats DooD!..

DooD is a perfect example of how easy to use HP Tuners is.. He went from never tuning a vehicle before to having his trans issues fixed within one week of receiving the software.

I'm very glad it all worked out for you DooD. Enjoy the new ride!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 04:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear that was the fix DóòD driveablity issues were what originally prompted my purchase of HP Tuners...its a good feeling to be able fix things like that without dropping the tranny
Old 08-04-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by foff667
Glad to hear that was the fix DóòD driveablity issues were what originally prompted my purchase of HP Tuners...its a good feeling to be able fix things like that without dropping the tranny
Awwww hell ya!!
Not only that "I" wouldnt be dropping it, I'd be paying somebody else..

Also.. I have to note that the 'bump' I mentioned at about 50mph is gone too!
(At moderate acceloration at 50mph it felt like it would release/lock/burp)
I swapped back to the shift tables from the original tune and logged it for a cruise. In both highway and surface streets it didnt 'bump' once.
Even cleaned the clock of a 3000GT on the highway.. But those things are slow anyway..Not much to brag about..
Not sure what the deal was, I'll compare the tables later.. I'm just FREAKIN WIGGIN' that this thing is FIXED!!!
Too bad its raining right now otherwise I'd be out 'hunting' with what feels like a new car!
Old 08-04-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice jim! glad it's finally fixed... this is something I had no idea about (us 99+ers don't have the issue) ... so definetly glad you posted here!

Once I get this home purchase stuff finished up in the next week I should have more time to meet up and go through more of the "performance" tables with you!

Quick Reply: Wont downshift when mashing pedel (logs,configs,tunes included)