PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone ever taken the EFI 101 class?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever taken the EFI 101 class?

i was reading that EFI live offers a training coarse on tuning called EFI 101. Has anyone ever taken this class or know if it is a good class?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Hello Dave

Originally Posted by 900hpSS
i was reading that EFI live offers a training coarse on tuning called EFI 101. Has anyone ever taken this class or know if it is a good class?
EFI University is the company that offers the EFI 101 course, not EFILive. EFI 101 is a 2 day course that starts off with the basics of what is fuel injection and dives in depth into the 5 primary sensors and their function, and ends up with a dyno demonstration of basically how to tune. You can find more details about it here: http://www.efi101.com/efi101.html

In addition to the EFI-101 course, there is also an advanced course, a 4 day accelerated certification program and a few different manufacturer specific courses (including one on EFILive).
Old 08-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

ya thats where i read about it on there website. have you taken the class? I read all about it I just waondered if anyone has taken it so I know if it is worth while.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Hello Dave

I would say that it definitely is worthwhile, but I am a bit biased. I'm presently the instructor for the EFILive course, so my relationship with EFI University is a bit loaded.

Everybody that I've recommended the 101 course to that have taken it have taken quite a bit away from it, even those that have a considerable amount of experience.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dc_justin, you live in Alexandria and your the instructor?! Sweet! Let's have a class here in Northern VA and I'm all over it!
Old 08-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Hello Dave

I would like to, really, but I don't foresee it happening anytime soon. There is a shortage of good shops to hold the class at in this area...
Old 08-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll let you guys know, I am attending the EFI101 class on August 11th. I am anxious to see how in depth the class is and to see how much I already know.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Banned

Missed out on the EFI 101 in DFW area , would have loved to gone but , maybe next year if they have it at another place besides the one in NRH .
Old 08-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

dc justin
what does the class teach you about using EFI live if anything? i know there is a class for that but i figured if they show you how to do a real tune then they have to somewhat show you how to use the computer program? what do you think?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dc_justin
I would like to, really, but I don't foresee it happening anytime soon. There is a shortage of good shops to hold the class at in this area...
I know that ALL too well! All we'd need is a dyno though right?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Hello Dave

Originally Posted by 900hpSS
dc justin
what does the class teach you about using EFI live if anything? i know there is a class for that but i figured if they show you how to do a real tune then they have to somewhat show you how to use the computer program? what do you think?
The EFI 101 class is not geared towards any particular fuel injection system, but rather towards the principals that drive them all. Depending on who the instructor is, EFILive may come up at some point or another, but there typically will not be any in-depth discussion about one package or another. Dyno demonstrations will be performed with a vehicle and system capable of real-time changes.

The EFILive specific course is all about the software, rather than in-depth into the tuning aspect.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Hello Dave

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
I know that ALL too well! All we'd need is a dyno though right?
It needs to be a load bearing dyno in order to be useful for the purpose of the demonstrations. There are a couple of shops I've found that use either Dyno Dynamics or Dynapak dynos, but I haven't had a chance yet to pursue anything. I'd love to have a shop local to teach at once in a while (and to start having EFI-101 courses at).
Old 08-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

so which class would you take first the class that teaches how to tune or the class that teaches how to use the computer?

Oh and i'm a bit confused. is EFI Live a computer program or just a hand held tuner? Or do you get both?
Old 08-04-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I have taken the EFILive 101 class. I am pretty well versed on the software. What is great about the class is you will find small things that you had either forgot about or didn't know. In this business there is never a point where you know everything, if you think you do, its time to quit and start another hobby/business. I would recommend the EFILive 101 before the EFI 101 if you are inexperienced with the software and the tuning methods.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

are there any EFIlive 101 classes near new orleans, la?
Old 08-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

I attended the EFI 101 class this last weekend in Temecula Ca. It was very informative, I have performed some EFI tuning before so I was familiar with most of the material however I was uncertain on many aspects of EFI tuning. They give you everything you need for the 1 and a half day course. Text book, calculator and pen. The book is yours to keep and is recommend that you take notes in the book for future use. Most of the class time is spent discussing the basics ofEFI tuning starting with the basics 4 cycles of an engine and going on to the beginning of actually tuning a car.
Since the EFI world is fairly diverse they really don't touch on any one type of system. All of the information taught is related in all EFI systems. There is alot of math involved. They show you formulas on how to figure BSFA, BSAC, injector size, engine volume, etc etc. They also show you how to apply it in the real world. They also illustrate how all the sensors work. The only thing that they did not touch on very much is MAF's. Most after market EFI systems are speed density, so there was not much mentioned about this sensitive area. That to me was kind of a bummer, but after class the instructor was happy to answer any additional questions.

The last day was half class time and half dyno demo. They showed basic fuel curve and timing tuning. All in all I would recommend it to anyone who is remotely thinking about getting in to tuning their own car or even has a good grasp on tuning. The class is great to get you feet wet yet the instructor was knowledgeable enough to answer and describe every question that was asked. Defiantly worth the money in my book!
Old 08-17-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how much did it cost?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Hello Dave

Originally Posted by eLTwerker
how much did it cost?
The regular price for the course is $495. If you register early you will receive a $50 discount, so $445. PM me if you're interested in attending one of the upcoming EFI-101 courses and I'll try and help you out with any questions you have.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmalibuss
I attended the EFI 101 class this last weekend in Temecula Ca. It was very informative, I have performed some EFI tuning before so I was familiar with most of the material however I was uncertain on many aspects of EFI tuning. They give you everything you need for the 1 and a half day course. Text book, calculator and pen. The book is yours to keep and is recommend that you take notes in the book for future use...
What book was used?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

No, It they are new. They are printed paperback type work books. Basic but what you need to get the info across. They are about 90 pages long.

Quick Reply: anyone ever taken the EFI 101 class?