PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use a Wait4me Mail order tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok this wait4me thing really really got my attention. I have a 98 T/A A4. My mods are (Underdrive pulley, BBK SSI intake, SLP air intake pack, LTs, offroad y, magnaflow catback, air & egr delete.) Eversence I did the BBK intake and egr delete the car just dosent seem to be quite right. I was going to buy HPtuners and a wideband after the first of the year and try to tune it myself. I figured it was going to cost atleast a grand to get started, and I dont think i'm ready to just jump into tuning.

So let me get this straight, I call them up, tell them what ive done to the car and what i want done and then just pull the PCM out and ship it to them?? So they pretty much do every thing that i would try to do with HPtuners without alot of pain and suffering??
Old 10-17-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh.. That's the gig...
Old 10-18-2007, 04:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, and it seems almost everyon is happy with the bolt on mail order tune. for the price, its hard to beat. I never put mine on the dyno, but the car is running very good, so im happy with wait4me. Oh the only part you got wrong is its tought to talk to them. I called many times before ordering never got anything but vm. They reply to emails, and pm's in a day, i just paypal'd him the money, and typed out what was done to my car, and what i wanted done to the pcm, and put the directions in the box with the pcm.

Chris
Old 10-18-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Called them today. Think i'll send my PCM to them next month.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Im going to put a wideband kit on the car first and see how bad my Air fuel ratio is off. Then i'll compare the wait4me tunes Air fuel ratio. What u guys think???
Old 10-18-2007, 08:02 PM
9 Second Club

sounds like a good idea, but remember jesse will definatly tune on the safe, rich side, cause he doesn't have the car in front of him being watched, so dont hope for a perfect a/f.

Chris
Old 10-24-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used him and mine sucked..it would barley idel and when I called him about it he blamed everthing but the tune..I took it to a dyno tuner and and the wait4me tune was so screwed up the hp tunners said boot loader dosn't match. Took it to GM for a reflash still would not work..called Jesse and again everybody else's falt but his..got a new PCM took it back to dyno tunner running perfect in about 10mins. before anybody say's anything my PCM worked perfect before he touched it. so I was out about $250 extra messing with him
Old 10-24-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

my swap was tuned by him via mail order and it fired right up and runs fine so far. I'd use him again if I had to send the PCM off.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 491 Likes on 343 Posts

Mail order tunes should ONLY be used for code deletes, gear swaps, etc. It is ridiculous to think that anyone can properly GUESS a tune for a modified car. There are a few generalized parameters that can be changed, but a tune that isn't done in person will NEVER be exactly right. Most won't even be close. Anyone with a highly modified car either needs to buddy up to a good local tuner or buy their own tuning software. I would say over 90% of the blown motors you read about on this forum are due to poor tuning. BTW, I am not knocking anyone who does mail order tunes, I am just pointing out how limited they are by not having physical access to the vehicle being tuned.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=gametech;8007211]Mail order tunes should ONLY be used for code deletes, gear swaps, etc. It is ridiculous to think that anyone can properly GUESS a tune for a modified car. There are a few generalized parameters that can be changed, but a tune that isn't done in person will NEVER be exactly right. Most won't even be close.

Well here is another topic that will have mixed feedback/Bashing.

"Mail order tunes should ONLY be used for code deletes, gear swaps, etc."

Wrong, a good tuner that has been in the profession for a while and performing tunes the "CORRECT" way has a knowledge of how much of a percentage of certain parameters to change.

It is ridiculous to think that anyone can properly GUESS a tune for a modified car.

Again in your own words "GUESS", You are right, if a tuner has to Guess at what to do it doesn't matter if he has the car in front of him or not.

a tune that isn't done in person will NEVER be exactly right. Most won't even be close.

I agree to a certain extent, It is true that there is nothing like data logging parameters and adjusting for a Perfect package. But again, if the tuner has been in the business he WILL know how much of what to change, I agree every car is different even with the same mods. MY street tunes were actually hurting our Dyno business because some of the customers would later come back for a Dyno tune, The air fuel would be Spot on and horsepower gains were minimal (5-7HP) or none with my street tune. I have done mail order tunes for Nitrous, Forced Inducted cars with no problems, customers still going strong for a few years now.
There has been people on this forum that have gone and received Dyno Tunes that were still not up to par, A/F too rich or lean, too much timing by the looks of the graph. The bottom line is someone that "KNOWS" what they are doing instead of "GUESSING" will be very close via a mail order tunes.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

my tune from him for my truck was ****... I sent it back 4 times for updated with logs and it got no better... I understand it wont be great via the mail but it shouldnt be like it was... my gas mileage went from 18, to single digits. and I had the same shutting off problem a couple others did.

-Just my experience with him. I'm not bashing or pointing fingers but I wasnt happy at all. Now my tuning is done by a friend of mine locally and everything is running A-ok, after downloading a stock tune, and starting over

Last edited by silver-mod-o; 12-03-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

What is with their consistancy? Some people are very happy and others have a hell of a time with em. I just wonder why it seems like such a drastic "I loved it" "I hated it" difference.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

the worst part for me was that he changes your vin# to better suite him and your car dont know if its a 99 or a 02 and he leaves it so messed up that when you go to a dyno to get a "REAL" tune your screwed!! my PCM was worthless when he got done. And when I called him about it he offered to sell me another one
Old 11-25-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow.. he jacked your PCM?

I am thinking about sending my PCM in in the "interim" between when i can find time to get my car on the dyno..
Old 11-25-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tram
Wow.. he jacked your PCM?

I am thinking about sending my PCM in in the "interim" between when i can find time to get my car on the dyno..
I would send it to somone else. Texas-speed does good work
Old 11-25-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

What does Texas Speed charge?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:56 AM
9 Second Club

texas speed charges 225. I believe speed inc charges 150, and even has a nice little form you can fill out with the mods done to your car.

I sent my pcm to jesse @ wait4me. I had talked to him first, i knew he was capable of doing what i wanted, and it seems the vast majority of people that used him were happy, it was just a couple that werent.

I have had 0 problems with my pcm since he worked on it, and i would use him again, he was good to deal with, and kept in touch via email.

Thanks Chris
Old 11-25-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just found a post on here where Jason at Texas Speed is saying tuning is $125.. The website says $225.. Wonder which one is correct..
Old 11-25-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

I have a W4M tune in my truck...i love it. Ive sent it back for changes and it was all good.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

you might get away with it. infact if its a basic tune you will probley be ok. I have used his tunes on 3 cars I did heads,cam,ect. and NONE of them ideled worth a crap. BUT if you eventually want to get dyno tuned YOU WILL BE SORRY!!

Quick Reply: Anyone use a Wait4me Mail order tune?