Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG DILEMMA - PCM Mod for 01 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG DILEMMA - PCM Mod for 01 Z28

I am in the market for tuning my 2001 Z28. I have researched both the DiabloSport Predator Handheld and the HP Tuner VCM Suite software. I would have to agree that the HP software would provide the most flexibility and options, but I'm not sure if I need all that extra power. The thing I like about the DiabloSport Predator is that it comes with a power tune program already installed. I'm affraid if I go with the HP Tuner software, I will have to start from scratch and generate my own program (and possibly tear something up since I'm a newbe). Does anyone know if the HP Tuner software comes with a base 'Power Tune' for a particular model car? It would be nice if the Predator's power tune could be converted to a .bin file to use as a base for the HP Tuning software. I don't really plan to modify the engine much. If I do anything, I plan to add long tube headers, a larger throttle body, intake, or anything anyone would suggest (like to prevent from pulling the engine). My car's setup is as follows:

Flowmaster Series 40 muffler
K&N Cold Air Kit

Any help or advice anyone has, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!!
Old 08-27-2007, 04:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Predator's "power tune" just jacks your timing forward 6 degrees.
That, and deletes torque management etc. which is not really the
best idea.

Trust me, I have them both, skip the half measures and go for
broad access. The more you mod, the more you are going to
bump up against stuff you need to change but "isn't on the
menu" of the handheld.

What you start with is what's already in the car, and modify only
what you need or want to. There's nothing you need to create,
per se; just determine what wants improved. Big difference is,
Predator lets you touch about 1% of what's in there (at least
on my original-version one). Not to mention no logging, and
listening to the vehicle is how you know what it wants and what
your changes really do.

There are a lot of tune files out there that are all tweaked up
and these represent your more advanced "power tune" only it's
a smorgasbord, not a box of crackers.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prowan
I am in the market for tuning my 2001 Z28. I have researched both the DiabloSport Predator Handheld and the HP Tuner VCM Suite software. I would have to agree that the HP software would provide the most flexibility and options, but I'm not sure if I need all that extra power. The thing I like about the DiabloSport Predator is that it comes with a power tune program already installed. I'm affraid if I go with the HP Tuner software, I will have to start from scratch and generate my own program (and possibly tear something up since I'm a newbe). Does anyone know if the HP Tuner software comes with a base 'Power Tune' for a particular model car? It would be nice if the Predator's power tune could be converted to a .bin file to use as a base for the HP Tuning software. I don't really plan to modify the engine much. If I do anything, I plan to add long tube headers, a larger throttle body, intake, or anything anyone would suggest (like to prevent from pulling the engine). My car's setup is as follows:

Flowmaster Series 40 muffler
K&N Cold Air Kit

Any help or advice anyone has, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!!

No it doesn't... but if you get the HPTuners software and email me your image, I would do that for you (better than a canned "power" tune) or send you a file of your year car and you could compare and copy over the differences (the software will do the compairing for you) to see what is changed and I would be happy to explain why the changes were made. Get it already!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info.. You all helped me make up my mind. I really appreciate your help!! I will go ahead and buy the HP Tune software and as soon as I get an image of my car, I'll give you a shout Frost, if that's ok.. Thanks again!!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem, good luck