PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car hits 4600rpm and POW, backfire and shuts off???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just walk outside, unplug the MAF and drive down the road... see what happens I'm hopeful for you.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happens if you get on it pretty good and it has'nt back fired, and you shift hard into second? Mine sounds like the fourth of july!
I have also noticed with mine, that if I smash into the gas (say first gear) at about 5000 RPM it just shuts off, now that my car is off, then it decides to back fire a few times. Is any of this similar to you?
I have tried the unplugging my MAF and it still did it.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CompCamaro
What happens if you get on it pretty good and it has'nt back fired, and you shift hard into second? Mine sounds like the fourth of july!
I have also noticed with mine, that if I smash into the gas (say first gear) at about 5000 RPM it just shuts off, now that my car is off, then it decides to back fire a few times. Is any of this similar to you?

I wonder if you have a sticking (ie leaking) fuel injector. Thats so wierd that it backfires after the car has shut off.
We have tried, CKP relearn, new PCM and MAF unplug right?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CompCamaro
id like to get this on video and post it here.
I think you are correct in the order that this happens. Its like it cuts out and falls on its face, shuts off and as your coasting down the road, thats when it will backfires.
Mine does this in every gear so once it does this, I have no chance of shifting into the next gear.

Im going to replace the ASP pulley for a stock one. My buddys ASP got messed up and was giving his a **** load of missfires. Although, I dont think his did want mine is doing.

Im going to unplug the MAF and try it and I also want to replace the entire wire harness.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

hhmm, its weird your car ran differently, yet still bad, with the other pcm... if you have a friend that really trusts you would it be possible to swap your pcm into his car, and see if his car does the same thing yours does, that would clear up if its related to YOUR pcm or something else...
Old 10-31-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98_Formula
hhmm, its weird your car ran differently, yet still bad, with the other pcm... if you have a friend that really trusts you would it be possible to swap your pcm into his car, and see if his car does the same thing yours does, that would clear up if its related to YOUR pcm or something else...
yea I thought of that the other day. Ill have to ask him. he might.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:28 PM

I will try to make a video this weekend, I feel like I am hurting my car when I do it but, I checked my new plugs I put in after this started and they didint tell/show me anything. They werent white like yours, I remember the ones before those, had a redish tent to them, what does that meen?(?? Lean and hot ??) My car smells really rich??

Hey KCFormula want to try my pcm, your car isnt anything specail anyway! HaHaHaHa
Old 10-31-2007, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

30th T/A, do you have tuning software so you can do some logging and post it?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

We will try to get some EFIlive data logs up this weekend of CompCamaro's car.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Thats a Corvette thing. Never seen it affect F-bodies. It'll damn sure kill a Vette though, you're right.

Just looked at a stock '99 TA tune and it does have the 6101 table, the related code 1514 is set as 'Not Reported'. Put my C5 into limp mode till car was shut off and 6101 was adjusted. Maybe Paul has a point.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
just walk outside, unplug the MAF and drive down the road... see what happens I'm hopeful for you.
... takes like 1 minute
Old 11-01-2007, 02:36 AM

Frost I want to see more video's of that bad *** ride.
THAT IS SWEET!!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Try replacing the sparkplugs. I never had this problem on LSx but it happens when I have Supras (2JZ) on the dyno. Some type of coils don't don't like certain sparkplugs.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fahadss
Try replacing the sparkplugs. I never had this problem on LSx but it happens when I have Supras (2JZ) on the dyno. Some type of coils don't don't like certain sparkplugs.
already tried that.

heres what I left to try.

unplug the MAF
swap my ASP pulley for a stock pulley
new wire harness
possibly swap my PCM into my buddies car to see if his car acts up.
pull motor and check reluctor wheel even though i had my finger on it trying to move it around and it would not move at all.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=CompCamaro;8045154]I will try to make a video this weekend, I feel like I am hurting my car when I do it but, I checked my new plugs I put in after this started and they didint tell/show me anything. They werent white like yours, I remember the ones before those, had a redish tent to them, what does that meen?(?? Lean and hot ??) My car smells really rich??

I have seen redish spark plugs once when someone was using octane booster.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Purrvert
Just looked at a stock '99 TA tune and it does have the 6101 table, the related code 1514 is set as 'Not Reported'. Put my C5 into limp mode till car was shut off and 6101 was adjusted. Maybe Paul has a point.
Yea I looked that up also on Holden Crazy Tune file,I thought so.He should add that to things he has left to try...................Paul
Old 11-01-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

well, I swapped my PCM (6 speed) into my buddys camaro (auto) and for some reason his car would hit 2500-2600 and it could not rev any higher. the only way I could explain it was like hitting a rev limiter. Mind you guys, his PCM was in my car and I didnt have this problem.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

... takes like 1 minute

Frost has asked you like 3 times about unplugging the MAF. Please do it and take away his burden
Old 11-02-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

... takes like 1 minute
Well, I disconnected the MAF....no good. Still did the same problem.

Something to think about. If I gently ease into the throttle, surprisingly I can rev it to 5000-5500, then I just let off. But if I stab the throttle hard, 3000 or so, the car just starts breaking up.

about 50% of the time the car will just break up extremely bad, and not backfire and shut down.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
Well, I disconnected the MAF....no good. Still did the same problem.

Something to think about. If I gently ease into the throttle, surprisingly I can rev it to 5000-5500, then I just let off. But if I stab the throttle hard, 3000 or so, the car just starts breaking up.

about 50% of the time the car will just break up extremely bad, and not backfire and shut down.
OK, I have a theory (ha). The problem only happens on extreme throttle transients. You've tried just about everything mechanical...

What do we know about extreme throttle transitions ? The car reads the MAF almost exclusively when the throttle changes drastically. During normal smooth throttle operation it is a blend of VE, MAF and a lot of other stuff.

It may be possible that the issue lies in the MAF table. Just a thought - my car ran like *** until I tuned my MAF table with some help from Rick at Synergy (who is "the man", BTW).

If you compare your friend's MAF table to yours, are they different ? Do you have a way to scan/log the car ?

Edit : hmm, looks like it's doing it with the MAF unplugged so I guess that may not be it... However, getting different results with your friend's tune and his car having problems with your PCM/tune kind of points in that direction... It's also still possible you fried something in your PCM when you were soldering the wires, right ?

Rob (Bad30th)

Last edited by Bad30th; 11-03-2007 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply: car hits 4600rpm and POW, backfire and shuts off???