PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EfiLive smoothing question................

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EfiLive smoothing question................

When you Guys are doing an AutoVe and finish a logging session, do you smooth each time or wait until a couple of logs?

I ask because I'd hate to log, update the VE table and then wipe it out with smoothing. I've been doin it every time and while my VE table is smooth (and pretty too ), I wonder if I'm just making more work for myself. I'd like to learn to do it the right way from the start.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2007, 06:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ussually do OLSD tuning here so the VE table's are not smoothed.They have nice little spikes in them
Old 10-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Thanks Slowhawk!

A couple of mine have had spikes in them that looked like mountains! I then hit the smoothing button twice to make a mountain into a molehill!

Does that hurt anything?
Old 10-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvmyC5
Thanks Slowhawk!

A couple of mine have had spikes in them that looked like mountains! I then hit the smoothing button twice to make a mountain into a molehill!

Does that hurt anything?
I would only smooth once, then log again.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Give the vehicle what it wants.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anytime I smooth with the provided functions to seems make it worse. It never does what i want.

I just leave it alone unless something looks errorous or I smooth by hand.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

i have had the same issues. They say the peaks and valleys arent good for transitioning, but ****, once you hit smooth, it takes the high ones own, and the low ones up. They need to make an option that just brings the low ones up, and leaves teh changes you just made alone!!! Usually smoothing makes more work for you, because you cancel out most of what you just changed.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvmyC5
Thanks Slowhawk!

Does that hurt anything?
I've found smoothing screws with the tune.In the beggining I spent weeks on a high hp FI car and kept going backwards with smoothing.At the end the VE table looked horrible but the car ran perfect.Made almost 900rwhp on pump gas and has had no problems in 2 years.Still maintains 14.5-1 A/F in all weather at cruise and 11.8-1 at WOT. So I just give the engines what they need now and not worry about smoothing to make the graph look good.

I'm sure if you put the MAF back in the smoothing will be fine.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Doc
Give the vehicle what it wants.
Hi Doc! The problem is that I'm not good enough yet to know what it wants, but I'm slowly getting there!

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Anytime I smooth with the provided functions to seems make it worse. It never does what i want.

I just leave it alone unless something looks errorous or I smooth by hand.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by 01FbTaWs6
i have had the same issues. They say the peaks and valleys arent good for transitioning, but ****, once you hit smooth, it takes the high ones own, and the low ones up. They need to make an option that just brings the low ones up, and leaves teh changes you just made alone!!! Usually smoothing makes more work for you, because you cancel out most of what you just changed.
I heard the same thing about transitions, that's why I was just highlighting the high areas of the 3d graph and letting the numbers average themselves out with the surrounding numbers. I wasn't doing the whole chart. Thanks for your input!

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I've found smoothing screws with the tune.In the beggining I spent weeks on a high hp FI car and kept going backwards with smoothing.At the end the VE table looked horrible but the car ran perfect.Made almost 900rwhp on pump gas and has had no problems in 2 years.Still maintains 14.5-1 A/F in all weather at cruise and 11.8-1 at WOT. So I just give the engines what they need now and not worry about smoothing to make the graph look good.

I'm sure if you put the MAF back in the smoothing will be fine.
Thanks Slowhawk! I know that you've tuned some BIG Power cars and I Appreciate you posting up (along with all of the others that helped me out...........Thanks!)

Reading the posts just help me decide that I'd rather have a Great running car than a Great looking graph (and it's Pretty ). As soon as I get ahold of Chad or Jesse, I've got to upgrade my EFiLive Personal to Commercial and then I'm going to give COS3 a shot. I'm sitting here looking at my 2 bar MAP and hoping that it's all worth it!

Thanks again Guys! Have a Great night!
Old 10-15-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01FbTaWs6
EXACTLY!! What they really need is an option where you mutliply in the new amounts and it locks those on those values and then all the other cells are changeable.

Plus if it always showed the pasted cells as a diff colour that would be so cool. I would email Blacky but he is so busy I doubt he would even have time.

Efi Live is great but a couple of super small things would make it tons better.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Tordne I believe originally made up this little spreadsheet. It works really well and limits how much smoothing you require manually.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Interpolation for BEN's.zip (14.5 KB, 24 views)