PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap and easy efi for LS1/fox swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap and easy efi for LS1/fox swap?

I'm going to swap LS1 into fairmont (fox) in the winter and thinking between megasquirt and hptuners or such. I'm going first na but next winter will turbocharge it, so I want it to have easy possibilities to tune for boost. I'm not very familiar with electronics so that's the part I'm afraid with mega. Question is what would you suggest for me as a engine management? Easy, cheap and reliable are the keywords.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:56 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by valiant65
I'm going to swap LS1 into fairmont (fox) in the winter and thinking between megasquirt and hptuners or such. I'm going first na but next winter will turbocharge it, so I want it to have easy possibilities to tune for boost. I'm not very familiar with electronics so that's the part I'm afraid with mega. Question is what would you suggest for me as a engine management? Easy, cheap and reliable are the keywords.
Stock computer (99-02) will do the trick just fine, no need for custom on these motors
Old 11-07-2007, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Eurospec2
Stock computer (99-02) will do the trick just fine, no need for custom on these motors
Ok, then I presume that tuning of the stock computer is made by i.e. hp tuners software. Do I still have to send the computer and wiring harness to somebody to mod them first or can I myself do all the mandatory mods with the software?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go over to www.performancetrucks.net and search for Parish8's post and "pinks". They put a 5.3 with turbo on it in a Fairmont and made a low buck "pinks" drag car out. Stock motor with 01 Z06 cam, 15psi of boost and TH400 transbraked, runs high 9's, and 600rwhp . They used MegaSquirt for fuel and MSD for timing. Very nice setup on the cheap .
Old 11-07-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock pcm, and tuning software. you can do the harness yourself for the conversion if you take you time, the factory f-car harness is almost setup for standalone use, with just a few connectors on the passenger side of the motor that need to get power/ground, ect..

Ryan
Old 11-09-2007, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys! So it would be easier way to use original pcm and tuning software.

Then what about maf? No problem when na but how does it like boost?

Also, what's best software and which level?

I have only engine and trans with harness, but do not know anything about the donor car, does this complicate software purchasing?
Old 11-09-2007, 05:25 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by valiant65
Thanks guys! So it would be easier way to use original pcm and tuning software.

Then what about maf? No problem when na but how does it like boost?

Also, what's best software and which level?

I have only engine and trans with harness, but do not know anything about the donor car, does this complicate software purchasing?
With HP tuners or EFI Live (my preference) you can tune the car for a 3 bar map speed density setup, wich will eliminate the need for any MAF, best way to go for boost IMO.

Quick Reply: Cheap and easy efi for LS1/fox swap?