PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE help! why would water cause this??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation PLEASE help! why would water cause this??

I know... long write but I NEED some help please!

One day it had been raining out and I took my car to go to the bank which is only about a mile from where I live. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot and got into line at the drive through i noticed the car was idling rough, and at about 100 rpm's lower at 500 instead of 600 rpm's. My service engine light was on but always is cause of headers and no rear o2 sensors and I removed me EGR pump. when I took off the car had NO power! after a while the problem just went away and nothing happened for about another month when I took it to an automatic car wash. It was the kind that sprayed up from underneath when you drove in. As soon as that happened my car started idling rough again, and shaking the whole car. so I shut it off. when it was time to leave the car wash the problem was still there. when I took off the car had NO power again. I seen the tac say it was at around 25 to 3k rpm's but i didn't sound like it when taking off. soon after the service engine lights started flashing! I knew that meant something serious was wrong so i pulled over and shut it off. after a while i started it back up and the SES light wasn't flashing anymore but was still running funny. I drove over to AutoZone that was close by and got the codes read. there were 10 codes! 8 or 9 were for the o2 sensors and EGR and one was pending and said "Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire". after a while i started it back up and it drove fine, the power was back and it was idling good. I thought it may be something with the transmission trying to take off in second or something so I tried manually shifting it but it didn't seem to help. anyone know what could be wrong?? please help if you can!
Old 11-25-2007, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Um.......I'm gonna guess and say something got wet. Check your air filter, maybe it let some water in which got on the maf. You say you have headers, check the wiring by the O2's, maybe something is exposed and also got wet, causing some erroneous readings, whichs makes the pcm try to compensate.

PS this isn't really advanced tech at all.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:17 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first guess is that you have a bad plug wire or two or a bad coil. With age, heat and handling (removal/installation) the insulation can break down. Humidity/moisture causes the insulation (dielectric strength) to be even weaker. The problem sort of resolves when things dry out. However, the underlying problem will just come back in the presence of moisture (even high humidity) and your spark is weaker than it should be.

Get a misting sprayer/spray bottle and adjust it to a fine mist. With the engine cool/cold, start the engine and lightly mist the plug wires and coils to see if you can isolate the problem.

Best of luck,

Steve
Old 11-26-2007, 03:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the help. i'll try that!!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:54 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Slowjoe99,
Did you have any luck diagnosing the problem?

Steve
Old 12-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Banned

Get a scan tool connected to it and not the cheap autozone type. It'll tell you exactly whats wrong.
Most good tools will read out immature codes even when the light is not on. And stored codes of past problems.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

I would guess crank sensor plug is loose, possibly corroded...
I would check there first since it would definitely be capable of causing your problem and be the most likely to getting wet as you described....

And just noticed you have long tubes...probably getting wet and grounding against headers
Old 06-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Teching In

So I know this is an old thread but 3 times in the past week this has happened to me, and each time was in the rain. What was the problem and solution. Any help would be wonderful.