PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some realistic tuning advice for a radical cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I could help, but I am in MN, so that won't work!!! Plus, now would be a good time to get some cold start and driveability testing done!!! LOL
Old 12-27-2007, 06:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines
I could help, but I am in MN, so that won't work!!! Plus, now would be a good time to get some cold start and driveability testing done!!! LOL
Sorry to ask, but you guys do tuning now?? Which software do you guys have license with, and how much for a tune...?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedo
Sorry to ask, but you guys do tuning now?? Which software do you guys have license with, and how much for a tune...?
Click on the link and it gives the pricing and sofware used.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Judd
Haven't posted up in quite awhile but I have a question on tuning. I have a 402 with a pretty radical cam {something with duration in the 240-250 range and lift right around .600-.610, the center line is something like 112} and I'm having tuning issues below 3-3.5K rpm. It still has a MAF and would prefer it stay that way. Can I get this cam tuned to the point where it will not spit, sputter below 3K? I know it's a radical cam and I am fairly used to large cams but this sucks a big one. It is nearly useless for anything other that WOT.

The cam is in a muli-purpose car than is mainly built up for road race style events. I know the cam is too large, I didn't want that large of a cam but know that it is in there,,, I have to live with it. To be honest, I don't need an overabundance of low end anyway and the soft bottom end can actually help be coming off the corners but the loading up, spitting and sputtering is irritating. Matter of fact, some autoX stuff gets so slow that I can't help but get under 3.5K and it sucks a big un to have the engine loading up then busting alive when trying to smoothly get on the gas during these events. I also tow a small trailer that I load up with tires and tools. Sometimes I even tote a bike around behind it and the tuning sucks for that too as you can imagine.

Back when it was a cam only 347 I had a TS 231/237 and even though it was a bit too big it's tuning was worlds better than what I have now. If I could get this set-up to be anything like that 231 tune I would be more than happy. If there is no way to do it with a MAF on there I suppose I could do speed density but I would have to buy some tuning software and get someone that knows what they are doing to initially tune it and show me the ropes on the small tuning changes I would have to make from time to time.

I live in the N.E. Ga. area and would prefer not to have to travel too awfull far for any tuning. Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
That's similar to the cam I had in my 402 (with MAF), so it's not that big and more importantly, it can be tuned to eliminate the problems. Mine was very streetable considering it had 3.73 gears and a 4000 stall converter. It takes time, patience and good tuner. I use EFIlive and could take a look if you somehow could send me a copy of the tune.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Since when did you guys get into tuning? Last year we were there and you guys weren't even close for tuning anything!?Traver
Old 12-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

To the OP, there are some knowledgeable guys in North GA. Keep looking. Bump for ya.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Umm, I came back here last February, we purchased EFI Live in March and we have been doing all tuning in house ever since. It has been very interesting tuning the sprint cars and getting the stock trucks dialed in.

Sorry for the thread hijack, if anyone has questions, I will start a new thread in Intro and greetings section as soon as they update my sig with the sponsor logo.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

I would purchase software and that cam in a 402 should be very streetable. I have a very similar cam in a 347 and my Mom could drive it! Actually my wife drives the car all over the place. Im running a 242/252 610/600 112 and i get very little bucking @1500rpm in when trying to sneak home at 2am. (shhh)
Old 12-28-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well then,,, in ya'll opinion,,,,,, is my tuner at fault here? I have a lifetime tune but so far they have had little success with this. Matter of fact, I was told this was as good as it gets. I can live with some spitting and bucking at 1500rpm. My 231/237 TSP did that in my 347 but seriously,,, this cam in this 402 will not respond worth a crap below 3-3.5K. It loads up, it bucks, it spits,,, it will not accept full throttle at anything below 3K.

Please, please be honest here because I will use your responses as ammo. I do not want to make an enemy by telling someone they do not know what they are doing when in fact,,, the cam tuning is as good as it will get.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judd, I believe you should contact Mike (WS6FirebirdTA00) in my sig and talk with him. Shoot him a PM or email @ budchevy358@yahoo.com

Jim
Old 12-28-2007, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

How far are you from Fort Stewart Ga. ? I will be down there soon to visit my brother in law.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't say the tuner is at fault, he just isn't finished yet
Old 12-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
I wouldn't say the tuner is at fault, he just isn't finished yet
If he was told its as good as it gets, sounds like the tuner thinks hes finished.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RUTAN TA
How far are you from Fort Stewart Ga. ? I will be down there soon to visit my brother in law.

Fort Stewart is a good 4-5 hours from me.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jimmyz
Judd, I believe you should contact Mike (WS6FirebirdTA00) in my sig and talk with him. Shoot him a PM or email @ budchevy358@yahoo.com

Jim
Here is an idea too; Mike is a nice guy and a good tuner.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:01 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
If he was told its as good as it gets, sounds like the tuner thinks hes finished.
tuners always get the stick pointed at them on this board; I was just trying to be curteous. Hard to believe any pro shop would leave a car unusable below 3K and say "this is as good as it gets". They *KNOW* that at very least the car will go somewhere else to be fixed, and that they may be hung out to dry on the boards they sponsor on as well.

Maybe you ask them for your money back and have them reload a stock tune. Get Mike to go from there.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
tuners always get the stick pointed at them on this board; I was just trying to be curteous. Hard to believe any pro shop would leave a car unusable below 3K and say "this is as good as it gets". They *KNOW* that at very least the car will go somewhere else to be fixed, and that they may be hung out to dry on the boards they sponsor on as well.

Maybe you ask them for your money back and have them reload a stock tune. Get Mike to go from there.

I def agree. Its always the tuners fault. You know that as well as I, Steve.
And yes, I would, without making issue of it "publicly", get your money back and move on.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With that cam that size in a 402, there should not be many issues. Sounds like what the others were hitting on that the VE may need some further dialing in. Low RPM high load is going to be really sensitive to fueling (from both VE and MAF) and timing. From what you explained, it could be loading up on fuel, too low on timing, or a combination of both that is causing the low end sputter. Is the car a manual or auto?

Just shoot me a PM back and I can help you out.

Last edited by WS6FirebirdTA00; 12-29-2007 at 09:44 PM.