Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST XFI Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question FAST XFI Questions

I could not find a thread about this but if anyone knows where there is one let me know. I have a 98 T/A M6 that I am planning on installing a reman. LS6 in with a cam,springs,rockers,full exhaust,FAST intake&T.B. Thats pretty much set and I hope to get 400 at the wheels. I am pretty sure I want to get the FAST XFI but I am confused as to what harnesses I will need(main harness?, injector harness?, some harness to make the cluster work?). Anyone who has done this to their F-body please give me details like harnesses, part #'s, mounting locations, is their customer support any good. Any help is much appreiciated but I would prefer people that have actually installed and tuned this system. Thank You.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2manycars
I could not find a thread about this but if anyone knows where there is one let me know. I have a 98 T/A M6 that I am planning on installing a reman. LS6 in with a cam,springs,rockers,full exhaust,FAST intake&T.B. Thats pretty much set and I hope to get 400 at the wheels. I am pretty sure I want to get the FAST XFI but I am confused as to what harnesses I will need(main harness?, injector harness?, some harness to make the cluster work?). Anyone who has done this to their F-body please give me details like harnesses, part #'s, mounting locations, is their customer support any good. Any help is much appreiciated but I would prefer people that have actually installed and tuned this system. Thank You.
First question is WHY? The OE PCM will do anything yo want it to. Its more than capable of making that much HP, and you'd be better off spending your money on something that will actually make power. Some nice heads or something.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Launching!

I really like the fact that in the future I could do anything(bigger engine,NOS,forced induction) and not have to worry about doing further computer mods(more money). What have you used that you think would fit me better?

P.S. I do apprieciate any help or suggestions but I don't want 20 people telling me to go different routes when 3/4's of them have no experience with what they are suggesting. If you have experience with a particular system that you think would fit what I need then school is in session!
Old 01-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Also I forgot to mention that the blown up engine will be rebuilt and install in either a S10 blazer, 68 camaro, or 70 camaro so the factory ECU would more than likely not go to waste. Or I could pawn off the ECU and harness to some hot rodder for like $500 and go carbed and as of now I have the XFI and main harness priced through someone for $2000. But I don't know if that total will have to go up with the addition of an injector or cluster harness?
Old 01-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Am I off base here? Is the XFI a bad choice for this car? Any suggestions at this point would be helpful.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Your not off base but like responded to you, why do you need the XFI when the stock PCM will suffice. If you are going Radical Strip car only, spinning the motor to the moon with a healthy dose of dental gas then yes...Stock PCM tune correct will do wonders.........
Old 01-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Banned

Its just that you could spend that coin better ways. A FAST system will not make a bit more HP that the factory PCM, unless you're doing something thats out of the factory PCMs realm. Like upwards of 1200 hp. Or some crazy rpms or something.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Launching!

It's not that I am going to go for astronomical #'s it's more about being able to tune it myself with the new engine and in the future. I would like to put heads and a procharger on it in the future but cannot afford that now. From what I have heard the XFI is user friendly and that is important to me because I do not want to take the car to another shop to have it tuned. Now if you could answer this for me - Is there a tuning suite close to as capable as the XFI (Will work for setups) that I can tune myself without needing a dyno. (Although if necessary I can gain access to an emissions dyno)
Old 01-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Banned

You'll have a learning curve no matter what you're tuning with. If you've never tuned anything, none of it is really "novice friendly". HPtuners or EFIlive can do anything you want, and can actually do some things easier than FAST.
And if ya cant afford a SC now, you should just save the dough that the FAST will cost ya. You can even tune the factory PCM for the SC with EFIlive or HPtuners.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Launching!

I did not know that!
Old 01-14-2008, 06:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

XFI is not as user friendly as you might think if you have never tuned before..