PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has the better real time tuning ? EFI or HP ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shoemike
how can you say it is REAL time tuning?
the moates RR is a very versatile tune tool even though it is more expensive.
the only real draw back to it, is efilive is slow to make any upgrades with it.
you can only make changes by multiplying logged data.
i have been asking them to make the software capable
of selecting how logged data is applied.
I.E. add for RAFIG, subtract for knock ect.
with the RR you can download a whole tune
to the PCM while the car is running
and while logging it will make changes
via WBO2 instantly and automatically not manually paste and whatever.
You're confusing RTT with automatic RTT. Apples to oranges if you're trying to compare those two particular features. For my .02, the HPT RTT is phenominal in getting things dialed in right.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RedTtop6spd
You're confusing RTT with automatic RTT. Apples to oranges if you're trying to compare those two particular features. For my .02, the HPT RTT is phenominal in getting things dialed in right.
If I did understand i right, then EFIīs automatic RTT just does it for you.
You just need to put in what A/F you wanna see, then drive the car and EFI uses the widebandīs info tol change the tables itself.
Even more easier
Old 01-26-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The question is a simple one that is being asked. IT isnt asking about price, or anything else. It is "Who has the better real time tuning ? EFI or HP ? "

That question is not even something to even argue about. The roadrunner hardware is 1000% better in every aspect of real time tuning. IT is a TRUE 100% emulation with no rules that a normal pcm would have.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Teching In

I love EFI Live, i researched and researched until i made my decision. Since i didn't know how to tune, the automatic features really sold it, plus the "credit" system is better imo. No matter what vehicle it is it only costs one credit. And the custom operating systems are free. You also don't need a laptop to log data, veiw and clear DTC's and soon you will also be able to upload tunes also without a laptop. So, basically soon you will not even need to have a laptop to tune your prized possesion. It is so easy to use and if i didn't have a 98 i would def be using the roadrunner pcm. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Dennis93TA; 01-26-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

To get started with EFI + roadrunner........

....can I download the stock ECU datas with EFI and save it on the laptop, then swap in the road runner ECU and upload the stock ECUīs file?

Then the car should run as it would have the stock ECU installed, right?
I could start tuning from there, then....

Does it work like that?

Is the quality of the roadrunner ECU as good as the stock ECU?
Ever heard of one making troubles?
Donīt wanna get stranded somehwhere with an ECU not working properly....
Old 01-27-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** i am never going to learn this........i think a little blood came out of my ear just right now reading, i wish there was such thing as TUNNING FOR DUMMIES i need a tune bad but i dont want to pay nobody for it now to do it for me or later when i make more mods.... plus learning how to do this sounds so valuble
Old 01-27-2008, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by davidadavila
**** i am never going to learn this........i think a little blood came out of my ear just right now reading, i wish there was such thing as TUNNING FOR DUMMIES i need a tune bad but i dont want to pay nobody for it now to do it for me or later when i make more mods.... plus learning how to do this sounds so valuble
It just takes some reading and being able to apply what you've read. I tried my tuning at LT1's and said i would never try this **** again. After buying my LS1 and ralized how much it was to have someone else tune it and then anytime i need a tweek, I went ahead and purchased my own software. It is great. I am no tuning genius yet but i have learned alot and the only thing that has given me problem is trying to tune my idle(thanks to a big 1/4" hole in the TB). Just 2 weeks ago I gained 49ft/lbs on the dyno by tweeking with the car, and it feels much better when you do it!!

Australian Vette:
I don't have Road Runner so i can't tell you from experiance but it is made by Moates and i have used there stuff before and it's top notch. You can give him an email and he will answer all of your questions promptly.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Austrian Vette
To get started with EFI + roadrunner........

....can I download the stock ECU datas with EFI and save it on the laptop, then swap in the road runner ECU and upload the stock ECUīs file?
Yes.

Then the car should run as it would have the stock ECU installed, right?
I could start tuning from there, then....

Does it work like that?
Yes.

Is the quality of the roadrunner ECU as good as the stock ECU?
Ever heard of one making troubles?
Donīt wanna get stranded somehwhere with an ECU not working properly....
I got mine in 2006 and have had no problems with it so far.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Doc
Yes.

Yes.

I got mine in 2006 and have had no problems with it so far.
Thanks for the info!

So, the roadrunner works like a stock ECU, just with the ability to get real time tuned........

Thatīs even better than the AEM in my Supra, as I can start with a stocklike ECU with stocklike functions and go from there......

For me that sounds as EFI + Roadrunner ist the ONLY option.......

Now I just need to find out where I can get a complette package at the best price, with perfect customer service (as I will for sure need some help and have 100īs of questions

Forgot two things......do I need a license for just downloading the software from the stock ECU?
Or only one for uploading to the roadrunner??

And: Can I use every widbandcontroller?
It just needs a seperate output to hook up to the roadrunner, right? 5V?
Old 01-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Teching In

you can scan and copy any supported pcm for free. you only need to use credits when you write to a pcm. As for best price, there are alot of sponsors on here. I got my V2 system plus a LC-1 WBO2 for the same price as the HPT with WBO2 if purchased seperatly. I got mine from GRL---->

But wait4me has been helpin you out alot and maybe he can help you the rest of the way. Also correct me if i'm wrong, but i beleive wait4me will include a free tune to get you started if you purchase from them plus unlimited help.

oh, and you hook the WBO2 up to the V2 unit, it makes it so easy.

Another thing, once you are done tuning the car, you can pull out the RR and flash that program to your stock PCM and use the RR to tune anycar that is RR supported and it won't cost you anymore until you wrte to there stock PCM. Kinda cool if you want to make some money on the side.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dennis93TA
you can scan and copy any supported pcm for free. you only need to use credits when you write to a pcm. As for best price, there are alot of sponsors on here. I got my V2 system plus a LC-1 WBO2 for the same price as the HPT with WBO2 if purchased seperatly. I got mine from GRL---->

But wait4me has been helpin you out alot and maybe he can help you the rest of the way. Also correct me if i'm wrong, but i beleive wait4me will include a free tune to get you started if you purchase from them plus unlimited help.

oh, and you hook the WBO2 up to the V2 unit, it makes it so easy.

Another thing, once you are done tuning the car, you can pull out the RR and flash that program to your stock PCM and use the RR to tune anycar that is RR supported and it won't cost you anymore until you wrte to there stock PCM. Kinda cool if you want to make some money on the side.
Thanks a lot !

Iīll look a bit deeper into that and also will contact wait4me.

BTW, Iīm from Austria (Europe), not Australia
Old 01-30-2008, 04:37 PM
KVU
Staging Lane

Tunercar RT FTW. Powerful without the fluff. TC has been around longer than anyone else mentioned. They add things (like column lock bypass switch) usually within a few days. Great to work with. I have actually fried a 05 vette PC while programming with HP tuners. The guy from HP said that it's impossible to fry a PCM with their software. Guess that is why two LS2 pcms are sitting next to my too box. The worst part is that HP's applied credits are to the individual PCM's serial number. So I had to buy more credits when the PCM fried. Tunercar RT FTW.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Its unfortunate you don't have acess to a demo in your area of either product.

For our solution, its undeniably easier to install and use. Functionality between the two products however is debateable.

With our solution:

You read the vehicle as you would with either product. (~2 minutes)

You apply our real time tuning operating system and perform a write entire. (~2 minutes)

Now, you real time tune..

When you're happy with your changes, you write the changes back to the vehicle using a calibration only write (~30 seconds).

For the tunershop, this is a great solution as it saves the tuner tons of time, and gives him access to all the major tables you would want to real time tune.

However, if you are looking to real time tune every parameter of your PCM, then yes the EFI Live solution is your only option.

We built our solution to be affordable for everyone, and easy to implement. It will allow you to real time tune all the major parameters you would really want/need to tune in real time. We here at HPT have performance cars as well and if there were tables we felt were missing that we wanted to tune in real time, you can be assured we would have added them. We certainly love real time tuning our own vehicles, its a lot of fun!

If you'd like to see what some HPT customers think, feel free to jump on our forum here:
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/

Good luck with your decision, in the end both products will do what you require so it will likely be the little things that sway your decision.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:01 AM
On The Tree

@ Austrian Vette

I'm living in Austria, Graz and have been using HPtuners for tuning ls1 cars for 2 years now. It is a great product and makes tuning really easy. Also they have a very good customer service and always willing to help you out once you're in need of. I would be more than happy to give you a demo on HPtuners functionality and it's options. Also if you need some tuning for your vette I could be of help. You can send me a pm to get in touch with me.

R. Fazeli
Old 02-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Teching In

"i wish there was such thing as TUNNING FOR DUMMIES"
A classic request. I also wish there was one of these.

Sorry about that old comparison PDF, it's pretty outdated and as said, it wasn't as accurate as it could be. I've taken it down.

As stated above, there's pros and cons for any choice. Anything will get the job done, just a little differently. It looks like there's three solutions right now, EFI/HPT/TC. You'll find the least information on TC, but it's the cheapest for multiple vehicles. In my opinion, the EFI stuff is the sexiest and most full-featured, but I haven't had much experience with the HPT myself so will just say that there are a lot of people happy with the HPT as well.

One important point that many folks forget is that there is no free lunch with EFI tuning, you've just got to pay some dues in terms of learning. Other knowledgeable folks can help, and the tools can make things more streamlined. However, nothing will just automatically tune your car for you. You still have to get in there and understand what you're doing. But that's ok, it's all part of the fun.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Craig Moates
One important point that many folks forget is that there is no free lunch with EFI tuning, you've just got to pay some dues in terms of learning. Other knowledgeable folks can help, and the tools can make things more streamlined. However, nothing will just automatically tune your car for you. You still have to get in there and understand what you're doing. But that's ok, it's all part of the fun.
Could not have been said any better, absolute truth
Old 02-15-2008, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys for all the info!

I fully understand what you wanted to say me.

I decided to get EFI Live.

I just feel comfortable with the program and most important of all, the tuner who does all my cars, uses EFI live, too.

Again, thanks a lot for the help !!
Old 02-15-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You've made a good choice mate. EFI LIVE is no doubt the most premium capable tuning solution for our engines.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...and opinion is fact!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Frost
...and opinion is fact!
It will never be.

I am sure both, HP and EFI are very good tuning tools.

For me, the most important thing was, that the tuner of my trust uses EFI.......if he would use HP, I may have gone that route.....

In the end both programs are only as good as the tuner who uses them..........thatīs the only real FACT