PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has the better real time tuning ? EFI or HP ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree 100%.... my "opinion-is" post was in response to the post above it
Old 02-16-2008, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
I agree 100%.... my "opinion-is" post was in response to the post above it
I did understand what you wanted to say and that you ment the post above yours.

I just quoted your post so you can see that I fully agree with you.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

So seems to me that HPTuners with RTT is enough to tune FI car? No real need for RoadRunner?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm bringing this post back to life..lol. Since the Roadrunner PCM is basically a normal pcm
does anyone know what's installed in the RoadRunner pcm to make it work in real time?
And will Moates sell the parts so people that are technically knowledgeable to open the pcm and install the parts? I've open up a spare pcm that i bought from Shaun Carter just for a spare incase i stock pcm crapped the bed. The flash chip inside the pcm was blank when i opened it up and removed the flash chip and installed it in my EEPROM burner. So what i did was i took my WS6 pcm out of the car anfd removed the flash chip that was program with the stock 2002 A4 file on the chip. I removed the chip, installed it in my EEPROM burner and copied the stock file to my PC's harddrive since my burner read whatever was on a chip then save it on your PC. Once i copied the stock file i reinstalled the chip back into my stock pcm, then i put the blank flash chip in my chip burner and flash a copy of the stock file from my PC. I put it all back together and the spare pcm worked perfect. This was after i bought LS1 EDIT in 2003 i just experimented and learned to tuning and save the new tune into my spare pcm. And thankfully after doing a lot of reading how to tune for heads/cam setups, i was part lucky and happy that the spare pcm ran the TA with all the mods i had done to it. Then i kept refining the file and took it to a dyno and it all worked out good. I even got good enough with the tuning
i retuned my car after adding a TNT F1 125hp wet nitrous kit and on its very first pass the car ran a 10.93@127.71 mph, but they kicked me out..lol. I really couldn't blame them. It's good to be challenged sometimes and satisfying
Old 10-13-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can buy the guts kit and install it yourself which does bring the price down a bit.
http://www.moates.net/roadrunnerdiy-....html?cPath=95

The emulation card just replaces the flash EEPROM
You then run all tuning comms through the USB making it 100 times faster than before. (Scanning is still OBDII though)
Old 10-13-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you save around $100 installing it yourself, and it is not worth the money saved unless you have good expierence soldering and the right tools to do it already.

The roadrunner is a great tool.

Ryan
Old 10-13-2010, 10:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A strong point for the RR is that it can be used with more than one software tool as well.

If you have the needed tools and skill to remove and replace a PSOP flash chip, you should be able to install the guts kit.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:23 AM
11 Second Club

While the VE/maf table RTACS set up for the RR has it's uses. I personally dont like using this feature for anything but roughing a tune in. I find the filtering a bit clumsy but that may be more ignorance on my part than a fault of the software.
Where the RR shines is the speed of flashing along with being able to flash a tune with the engine still running. This allows me modify the VE table on the move & prevent heatsoak from skewing the data of the verification run.(on road)
Also the use of the RR has allowed me to test .cax files that I build on the fly, as well as run a few experiments on table composition that a normal flash & wait will make too time consuming.
Now that you can apply the data to tables as you like (add,subtract multiply), it has opened up a few more options for the RTACS users. Especially now with the dyno input.(from a mainline dyno) You could just make a pid for timing, or commanded AFR that will automatically adjust your tune until peak torque for that cell is found.
Without starting a shitfight as this is a genuine question. Does or will HPTuners have this capability?
Old 10-22-2010, 04:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dmart
HP tuners wont alter the table for you, you just have to paste the results yourself, it's insanely easy.
Sorry... but auto v/e tuning in EFI Live makes tuning so easy my 13 year old sister could tune my car