Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle problem when coasting

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default idle problem when coasting

I have serched and have come across many many threads about cars stumbling when coasting. This car I have been working on is a h/c car with torquer2 cam. I have tried running the IAC steps at 30-60 with no luck.

The car idles as good as stock as long as it is sitting still. When its rolling and you are coasting in nuetral or with clutch in it will drop to 300 or so and then once the car comes to a stop its back to perfect idle.

Like I said, I have seen many threads just like this but no solution.

I have had the RAF stock all the way up to 14.0 and everywhere in between with no luck. The VE table is dead on with trims -3 to 0 in all cells.

I do have it running in SD because it seems to be better for now. Thats closed loop SD by the way.

I did see where some have suggested playing wit throttle cracker and throttle follower but Im not sure if I know what gets "zeroed" out in these tables. I did attempt to disable the throttle cracker by changing the speed at which it is enabled/disabled. Still no luck.

I do have a log file that shows it dipping as well as the tune if anyone thinks they know what the problem is.

Any help is appreciated as I am getting tired of this crap.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Old 02-04-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your using EFI LIVE. Post up your tune and I'll have a look for you. It looks cracker related from what you've mentioned.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry, HP Tuners.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same cam tuned in SD....and the same problem...My car will do the same except it will die sometimes.Also,when i take a sharp turn it likes to surge and wants to die.Idles perfet when at a stop but if i touch the gas wrong at slow speeds it dips down low in the rpms.I bought HPtuners (should be here soon)to try to solve the problem myself because nobody seems to know how to fix it...car has been tuned 2 different times.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Sorry, HP Tuners.
send me your tune and i will make some changes to it that will make it idle ****. i tune quite a few of those cars that cam

also have you cracked the throttle blade at all? might want to try and adjust that as well
Old 02-07-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes the throttle blade has been cracked to get the IAC steps where I want them. I can usually crack the throttle blade and then clock the tps sensor to get the tps voltage back to stock and that does miracles in itself.

Anyway, here is the tune
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
Will01TA.hpt (452.5 KB, 96 views)
Old 02-07-2008, 09:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had the same problems with 99/00 Cars.About 50% of them do this.Will run perfect for about 8 stops then the next one will die for no reason at all.The logs look identical. I chalked it up as 99/00 computer difference.Someday I'll test it by putting in a 02 computer into the 00 car with the same program.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Well like I said, it messes up when you are going down the road and press in the clutch and let it coast or put in nuetral and coast. Once the speedo goes back to zero it instantly idles perfect again.

By the way, this is an 01 car.

Quick Reply: idle problem when coasting