Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 cranks, but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ls1 cranks, but wont start

before this ive never had anyproblems with it starting. tonight (the 1st time i cranked it oveR) i didnt hold the key forward enough soo it cranked, started up a tiny bit- but not enough crank for the starter to get it going- so it died

after that it cranked up and started but idled rough for about 10 seconds, then died. then i started it back up and drove it for about another 10 seconds and it died. then it wouldnt start back up (cranking it for 20 minutes). THEN after 30 min. of cranking, IT FIRES BACK UP. idles rough for about 4 seconds and dies. wont start back up again until an hour later where it does the exact same thing and turns on for 4sec. w/ rough idle

.. i did a search and came up with checking the grounds and also a yellow/black wire from the pcm to see if it didnt melt

my fuel pump is good, turns on, no kinked lines and all the fuses/relays are good. i sprayed a little bit of starting fluid in the engine- that also didnt do anything. im guessing its most likely involving spark.

any help would be awesome. i left it abandoned in a parking lot and im going to go to tomorrow to see if i can get it cranked up(with yalls help!)

thanks in advanced
Old 02-25-2008, 09:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just because your fuel pump turns on does not mean it is making correct fuel pressure,, get a gauge from the parts store and check fuel pressure
Old 02-25-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the fuel pump wires . . . and the ground for it !

are the VATs disabled in the tune?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

if you are using a vats bypass module it may have failed,, let me know if you need the vats tuned out of your pcm
Old 02-25-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

im getting pressure at the fuel rail and vats was tuned out of the pcm. im about to head over to the parkinglot to check on it again right now
Old 02-25-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, i came back and attempted to start it and nothing. i went and filled up a 2 gallon jug of 'super' gas and came back and put that in the tank(i had less than 1/4 tank before i added). about after 2 cranks it fired up and idles very good. it stayed on for about 5minutes then cut off. But now i can start it up everytime i crank it. i even was driving it around for about 30 seconds but once i turned the steering wheel it shut off (im guessing once a load is put on it, its suppose to kick the rpms up a little bit-but mines not doing that which causes it to die)

the last time i started it up and reved it it sounded like it was misfiring alot. what do you guys think? bad gas? should i put more 'super' in it maybe an octane booster?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

sounds like the fuel pump is going out . . . or the filter is clogged up.

Is it still the stocker ?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tootall
sounds like the fuel pump is going out . . . or the filter is clogged up.

Is it still the stocker ?
nope, swapped it out for the walbro 255lph pump and the corvette filter/regulator. i actually did that about 2 months ago. while the engine idles i can squeeze the rubber line i have(yea i use rubber) and it has pressure. also when its off i can hit the schrader valve and gas sprays out of there, soo it is def. getting fuel

also, when its started up it smells really bad- not like gas like something else. clogged cats???? i hope not
Old 02-25-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

check ETC, IAT and put it on a charger or jumper cables and see what it does. might clear codes too just for chits-n-giggles.

-Eagle
Old 02-25-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Eagle02
check ETC, IAT and put it on a charger or jumper cables and see what it does. might clear codes too just for chits-n-giggles.

-Eagle
the battery went dead yesterday from cranking it soo much, put jumpers on it and it still acted up. i also unplugged the battery for about an hour- still nothing!~ im wondering if the injectors might be clogged or something
Old 02-25-2008, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

you really need to get a fuel pressure gauge,, i know you said fuel sprays out of the schrader port , 10 psi will spray, so will 60 psi,, kind of hard to tell by this way of checking. pick up a cheap gauge from autozone or any other auto store

i see many fuel pumps that are bad but still run and make some pressure,, but not enough pressure/flow
Old 02-25-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
you really need to get a fuel pressure gauge,, i know you said fuel sprays out of the schrader port , 10 psi will spray, so will 60 psi,, kind of hard to tell by this way of checking. pick up a cheap gauge from autozone or any other auto store

i see many fuel pumps that are bad but still run and make some pressure,, but not enough pressure/flow
yea, im going to try to get a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow

cant you rent the gauges at stores like autozone? or do i have to buy one

Last edited by TXjeepTJ; 02-25-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

bought a fuel pressure gauge... runs at 55psi when primed and 55-60psi while cranking. i guess that permanently knocks out the fuel pump as the problem lol
Old 02-26-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just took out one of the spark plugs and had someone crank it over, i could see gas spray being compressed out of where the spark plug goes. im guessing it must be a spark problem?
Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i replaced the crankshaft position sensor, since it is the key that tells the pcm to put spark to the engine. still nothing

any help would be appreciated
Old 02-26-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

and chance that a ground popped off ?

Check the fuses !
Old 02-26-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

and chance that a ground popped off ?

Check the fuses !
pcm ground is still nice and tight against the back of the cylinder head, all fuses are good. i just replaced the ignition relays- still nothing
Old 02-26-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

are the plugs getting juice ?

do you have anyone that can watch the plugs will you crank it? (meaning out and grounded to the block)
Old 02-26-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

are the plugs getting juice ?

do you have anyone that can watch the plugs will you crank it? (meaning out and grounded to the block)
yup, i did that- no sparks getting to them, i can also see the gas spray from the injectors coming out of the spark plug hole soo its def. a spark problem, which is why i replaced the crankpos. sensor($50) still no spark!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:13 PM
10 Second Club

if the crank sensor was bad you wouldnt have any fuel inj pulse,, you need to check the power and ground at the main coil harness conector on each valve cover, there should be a main power wire(pink, hot in run and crank) and a ground at both of the connectors where the hook on to the coil harness

Quick Reply: ls1 cranks, but wont start