PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stall converter locking up every now and then?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stall converter locking up every now and then?!?

Ok its been a few months since i put my yank converter in and noticed a few weeks ago that sometimes on my way to work or back the converter wasnt locking up.sometimes it would. but only after it was turned off and restarted. anybody know what it could be. the converter clutch is fine its just benn kinda odd only doing this every now and then. now the paast few days i havent noticed it locking up at all. loose connection somewhere maybe? nothing in the tune possibly?the only thing i had done to the trans tuning was just upping line pressure by 5psi and set the shift time tables to zero.anybody have any ideas?gas is just to damn expensive to have no lockup on a daily driver lol
Old 04-16-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

nobody ever had this problem?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine does the same thing with a fuddle converter. most of the time it locks up fine, but every now and then it doesn't. if i shut the car off and start it back up it will lock up fine. one other way i got it to lock back up is to drop it down into drive, or 2nd, then go back to overdrive and it will lock up.
mine also didn't do it right away. it took a few months as well. hmmm. oh well, i'm not too worried about it because it's probably gonna get trashed along with the tranny from spraying at the track this year anyways
Old 04-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Teching In

When I first bought my Camaro, I noticed it went in and out of lockup repeatedly on the highway at about 70mph. Every two minutes or so. I haven't had it on the highway since, but I assume it would still do it.

Sometimes, in the city, it will go into lockup unexpectedly and actually jerks the car around because it does it at low RPM where there is a bit of an idle surge.

The previous owner did all of the tuning and I haven't investigated further yet. I know this doesn't help you much, but at least you know you're not alone.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

check this thread out, it may be a misfire problem

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/162767-i-just-replaced-my-torque-converter-now-unlocks-randomly-fix.html
Old 04-17-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

that was interesting but dont think it is my problem but will check my tune out and see if it helps. This morning as i got onto the highway it locked up like normal, first time this week!?!, and as i came to some slow traffic it unlocked when i hit the brakes, like it should...but never locked up again the whole way to work. i dont know what to do.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have tried putting it into drive on the highway and back up to od with no luck.....shifts fine, but no lock up.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

well just thought i would give somewhat of an update.. tody my convertor locked and unlocked just like it should the whole way to work.still havent figured out the culprit but am going to check the connector on the trans and see iff it is possibly making a bad connection or something. besides that not to sure what else to do to diagnose this problem.