ACCEL DFI GEN 7 FOR THE LS1/LS6

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 10:31 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: ACCEL DFI GEN 7 FOR THE LS1/LS6

Edit on a N/A 346CI VS a GENVII?
Well 550 to tune via edit session and u can still run into problems.(Relearn,IAC,MAF issues..)

GENVII 2150.
I wouldnt opt for a WB,I'd just tune the car via Joe's GENVII WB box.I'm sure he has one in his shop for guys that dont wanna spend the extra $$$ for it.

Then what ever Joe charges to tune the car.
300 or 400 and your done!!!

Shouldnt be more than 2500 out the door with u installing the system yourself.
Is it gonna be worth 30RW on a H/C LS1,No way.

Is it gonna be worth 10RW over edit,idle better,have snappier throttle response,cold start better etc,IMO YES and with the ability to run dry N20 SAFTELY its invaluable.

Sure its $$$,But if u want the best your gonna have to pay..
I want one controlling 2 stages (75/75) of N20
Old 09-02-2003, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris, there are advantages with larger displacement solid roller motors like mine. Speed Density being able to eliminate the MAF is a significant advantage. Also the ability to fine tune WOT a/f and timing at more defined increments. The LS1 PCM has done me well but it's time for a change.

No doubt there are advantages - I agree 100% - I would just be suprised (in a good way!) to see a 30rwhp+ gain on any kind of streetable NA motor (under 7500 or so rpm, can idle with ac, etc.) FI or N2O is a different matter and I readily grant it advantages there.

The MAF is another ball of wax - I actually see the MAF as an advantage for any kind of street driven car - it basically nails your VE for you with not much work. If you feel it is a restriction sizewize just convert to a larger unit - I picked up a 4" PRO-M Univer+ for my application - for 75 bucks extra you get a calibrated flow sheet.

I don't understand what you mean by tuning by more defined incriments?

Again, I am not trying to force a "street car" on everyone here - I will freely stipulate that an aftermarket EFI like the Gen7 is far superior in any kind of race only application, as well as any boosted or juiced application - but for streetable NA motors I just don't think it's as clear of a choice.

As for all the stock pcm problems people relate - most of those are from a crappy tune - you will have the same issues (more likely more) with the DFI if you have a crappy tune - as it isn't as close out of the box as the stock pcm is.

Anyway, I didn't mean to get so far off topic here - I do think it's a good product, and depending on your budget it may be worth it alone, even on a NA car, for the realtime wideband correction and "online" programming, ignoring everything else.

Old 09-02-2003, 12:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Chris, I know you do quite a bit of tuning down there. When tuning my own car, I found that it would have been nice to be able to program the PE in smaller RPM steps to better "fine tune" the a/f. I have some small dips and peaks that cannot be tuned out. I would agree that for a steet / mild strip car, this is a waste of money. A good LS1 Edit tune and the right hardware would work as well or better. For serious racers trying to eek out every pony, it is money well spent.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Joe i dont want to start a discussion on who's ECM is better but if you want to talk about copycatting then look at the GENVII. It is based off of a Factory Ford ECM.

I'm just saying their should be other options out there coming out soon and in reality some are already usable. Motec, FAST, with some modification. The nice thing with the GENVII is that it allows the comfort features to stay.

Personally i like the GENVII but i am waiting for the new FAST to come out and see how that is and really i would like to have an AEM but they dont make anything for me yet
Old 09-02-2003, 03:04 PM
Teching In

...if you want to talk about copycatting then look at the GENVII. It is based off of a Factory Ford ECM.
Speaking of copycatting, the current FAST box is a proven copy of the Accel Gen 6 box, and they are currently paying damages to Accel everytime they sell a system.

Bottom line is, nobody cares -- as long as their car runs.

It is nice finally to see a fully programmable LS1 system available without any of the duct tape and bandaids normally required to make the current system(s) operational. I already have mine on order!
Old 09-02-2003, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally i like the GENVII but i am waiting for the new FAST to come out and see how that is and really i would like to have an AEM but they dont make anything for me yet
I am also hoping the AEM debuts soon as well. Competition is good and it seems as if they are trying to get into the domestic market. I have posted on their forums as some of the engineers surf them to get feedback from customers, I have recieved no response as of yet.

I have surfed a few Mustang forums in particular the turbo forums and more than a few are suprised by how easy it is to tune and the flexibility it has, not to mention the price (VERY low cost)

sorry to get offtopic
Old 09-09-2003, 07:26 AM
Teching In

Just to let you guys know the kits are shipping this week, also we had some extremely good " real world" final testing results. The car picked up 3 tenths and 4 mph in the quarter barely tuned.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

what did the car have done to it.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I would love to get this system for my car cause it needs tune bad lol. To bad Im broke. Do u guys do installments .
Old 09-10-2003, 02:44 AM
11 Second Club

Just to let you guys know the kits are shipping this week, also we had some extremely good " real world" final testing results. The car picked up 3 tenths and 4 mph in the quarter barely tuned.
With not other changes, correct?
Old 09-10-2003, 07:29 AM
Teching In

other then removal of the MAF, no other changes, he also stated the "car idled smother" and "throttle response was crisper" the car should pick up more and have better numbers this week, after some more tuning and track time like I said there was no driving and no major tuning done on the car.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

other then removal of the MAF, no other changes, he also stated the "car idled smother" and "throttle response was crisper" the car should pick up more and have better numbers this week, after some more tuning and track time like I said there was no driving and no major tuning done on the car.
I doubt the removing the MAF alone would provide those major gains.

Very impressive
Old 09-10-2003, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt the removing the MAF alone would provide those major gains.

Very impressive
Wanna bet? What do you base that statement on?
Old 09-11-2003, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

God I want one. Hey Joe, can I do a payment plan? lol.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:12 AM
11 Second Club

The statement is based on not thinking the MAF was that much of a restriction.

Brings up another point. Whats the setup like?

Tom so your impling (sp?) the gains were strictly from removing the MAF?

How much air do you have to be moving so the MAF becomes a restriction?

Did you remove the one on your car, and what improvements did you see? (No its not a pissing contest question, its a serious question)

What kind if times did the car in question run?
Old 09-11-2003, 02:09 AM
Restricted User

More kuje the MAF as being inaccurate than a restriction I bet. Tune the car for closed loop operation, constant AFR?
Old 09-29-2003, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ttt
Old 09-30-2003, 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

My car will be up and running with the GEN7 next week. I am running a 385 cid stroker with a d1sc (dumped my turbo set up)I will be more than happy tp post my results. I will also be going to a F1 blower this winter again I will post results then as well.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Here in Europe we see this all the time.

People changing out the modified or stock Engine management system for an afthermarked like Autronic, Haltec, MoTec or som other brand they loose the MAF do a quick retune on the street.

And suddenly the engine responds quicker, idels smoother and makes more power.

A Porsche 911 3,6L No turbo they reasonly tuned out 26hp over stock with afthermarked engine management, new intake (no MAF), and complete good exhaust system the rest was stock.

So I want Gen7DFI on my LS1/T56 combo going in to my Vega racing track toy.

Erik
Oslo in Norway
Old 09-30-2003, 08:38 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does this system allow A4 cars to program trans shift speeds like the factory unit?

Richard

Quick Reply: ACCEL DFI GEN 7 FOR THE LS1/LS6