PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to the beta tuning book?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very interested in getting this book but concerned about it being so new. It sounds as though it's not quite finished and is still being changed? Once it's purchased and a new better version comes out, do we have to pay full price again to get the new version or is this the final finished version?
Old 02-08-2009, 06:39 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HavATampa
I'm very interested in getting this book but concerned about it being so new. It sounds as though it's not quite finished and is still being changed? Once it's purchased and a new better version comes out, do we have to pay full price again to get the new version or is this the final finished version?
So is the dictionary, does Barnes and Nobles give you a discount on the newest one, when it comes out? All kidding aside, the his web site, that's included should supply, any more need info, like new case studies. You can alway sell your old copy on Ebay and buy a new one
Old 02-08-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

lol...this is true. But I can get another paperback dictionary for a lot less than $70, no big loss. I'm just hearing things like some of the text refers to certain colors on a graph and this is a b&w book. And I'm sure he plans to add more features to it eventually. Just wondering how future releases will be handled. Maybe one day he can get it setup online and we can pay a fee to access it and print what we want.

Originally Posted by poconojoe
So is the dictionary, does Barnes and Nobles give you a discount on the newest one, when it comes out? All kidding aside, the his web site, that's included should supply, any more need info, like new case studies. You can alway sell your old copy on Ebay and buy a new one
Old 02-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Banned

I have it and I think you'll learn enough from it not to worry about the little mis-referances in the book. Other then the graphs not being in color, so the cells are shaded instead of colored, I don't see any issues. Every book has corrections on each new printing. You can buy it now and start using it right away, or wait until you retire to buy it and use it to tune your classic car.

By the way a hard cover unabridged dictionary runs about the same price as this book and the library version is about 3 times that, of course it has a few more pages
Old 02-08-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

I don't doubt I'll learn from using it, just want to make sure I know what I'm getting before sending my money. And the last time I checked his website, this is a spiral bound notebook looking book and not a hard cover book that you used for comparison. Or am I wrong?

By the way a hard cover unabridged dictionary runs about the same price as this book and the library version is about 3 times that, of course it has a few more pages
Old 02-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HavATampa
I don't doubt I'll learn from using it, just want to make sure I know what I'm getting before sending my money. And the last time I checked his website, this is a spiral bound notebook looking book and not a hard cover book that you used for comparison. Or am I wrong?

Spiral bound is much better, since it stays on your page.
My comparision to the hard bound dictionary is the fact that they don't replace them, when they add new words.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a beta book, just got the final edition- if you are trying to learn tuning- its a great book. Quality the whole way around is great-

Colors being in text and not image are not a problem ( as I always had HP infront of me as I read ) so I could just look on screen and see a color image - for the money, its a great buy- if u need advanced info it is probably to basic 4 u.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm bringing this one back from the dead. I bought this fairly expensive book, and was promised a website with exclusive access only for book purchasers with more update, more case study's with more FI, Diesel, EFILive stuff, and to my knowledge, NONE of this has happened unless I missed something. So is it going to ever happen or what??? It's a very good book, but didn't get what was promised to go with it.

Last edited by kbracing96; 09-07-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I'm bringing this one back from the dead. I bought this fairly expensive book, and was promised a website with exclusive access only for book purchasers with more update, more case study's with more FI, Diesel, EFILive stuff, and to my knowledge, NON of this has happened unless I missed something. So is it going to ever happen or what??? It's a very good book, but didn't get what was promised to go with it.
Its already been so long I had forgotten about the website.

Update???
Old 09-08-2009, 05:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I'm bringing this one back from the dead. I bought this fairly expensive book, and was promised a website with exclusive access only for book purchasers with more update, more case study's with more FI, Diesel, EFILive stuff, and to my knowledge, NONE of this has happened unless I missed something. So is it going to ever happen or what??? It's a very good book, but didn't get what was promised to go with it.

You and 69Yenko both have emails, for everybody wondering, Dan is working on it, I think like the book, it will be more then worth then wait. I'd had ask him a short time ago about it, and got to see some previews and was impressed.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:25 AM
10 Second Club

You and 69Yenko both have emails, for everybody wondering, Dan is working on it, I think like the book, it will be more then worth then wait. I'd had ask him a short time ago about it, and got to see some previews and was impressed.
Thanks for the E-mail
Old 09-08-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Joe,
Old 09-08-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I gave up on the website and other case studies long ago.

The book was decent but alot of info was missing. Cant remember exactly but a camaro was one of the case studies and it mentioned the car would need extensive ve and maf table tuning. Long story short it went through the maf table curve and didnt even mention that the ve table was touched at all. I asked about it and was told that the ve table was modified but I cant remember the asnwer I got as to why it was not covered.

The guy that wrote the book is probably the best tuner out there. He knows his stuff. The bad part about being that good is that no matter how hard you try to lay out all the details for the beginners, you will end up forgetting some stuff because you know it so well that you skim over it.

My honest opinion. For that price it should be like an owners manual. Yeah maybe everyone knows where to plug the cable in, but it really needs to be to that level. Step 1 - Step 2 - etc. Then in the back, a troubleshooting guide with references back to the book covering the possible causes. Thats alot of material but hell, its/was 75 bucks.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Totally agree. I really feel the book was not as good as advertised and all the information found in it can be found for free on this site and other links if you look hard enough. Not worth $75 IMO. If anyone is interested in my copy, PM me for a good price.

Originally Posted by Full-Force
I gave up on the website and other case studies long ago.

The book was decent but alot of info was missing. Cant remember exactly but a camaro was one of the case studies and it mentioned the car would need extensive ve and maf table tuning. Long story short it went through the maf table curve and didnt even mention that the ve table was touched at all. I asked about it and was told that the ve table was modified but I cant remember the asnwer I got as to why it was not covered.

The guy that wrote the book is probably the best tuner out there. He knows his stuff. The bad part about being that good is that no matter how hard you try to lay out all the details for the beginners, you will end up forgetting some stuff because you know it so well that you skim over it.

My honest opinion. For that price it should be like an owners manual. Yeah maybe everyone knows where to plug the cable in, but it really needs to be to that level. Step 1 - Step 2 - etc. Then in the back, a troubleshooting guide with references back to the book covering the possible causes. Thats alot of material but hell, its/was 75 bucks.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Launching!

Well i see the price has dropped from 70 down to 40 on the website. Does anyone know if the website that was supposed to go along with the book is up and running? Just curious
Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 98legendws6
Well i see the price has dropped from 70 down to 40 on the website. Does anyone know if the website that was supposed to go along with the book is up and running? Just curious
To clarify, YES, the website is on the way, HOWEVER, we have changed how this is going to work. More on that later. To address the price of the book: When we first started printing the book, we had it spiral bound as per the majority of users' requests so that the book could be folded open. This form of printing costs us roughly 5 1/2 times what perfect-bound printing costs. After hearing complaints about pricing, we went with perfect binding and a GM-only format to reduce the price to $39.99. This is cheaper and we hear less complaints about binding now than we heard about price before, so, I consider this a successful change. Back to the website: The few people that were asked to read and review our test website did so and forwarded the site link to other folks...some of whom then started copying our information and selling it as their own, or handed it out for free, including some real devils who posted this information on other forums as a tuning guide! This is why I decided to change the format for the upcoming case studies. What we have been working on (and have now finished beta testing) is an online webinar format that will be live and interactive. I feel this is the best solution for protecting our hard work, and those who wish to learn how to tune, as learning live, online, in an interactive format is better than reading a published case study. For those folks who bought the spiral bound version of the book directly from us AND REGISTERED ON OUR WEBSITE, you will get 6 of these webinars offered to you for free. Those who purchased the perfect bound books directly from us AND REGISTERED ON OUR WEBSITE will get a discount on webinar pricing. Once we officially launch the webinars for sale to the public, anybody will be able to attend the online webinars whether they purchased a book or not, but the full retail price of the webinars will apply. Our newest book, the EFI Live version of the GM-vehicle tuning book, will be available soon. It is in the final proof stages at this time before going to printing. The webinars are undergoing one final software test this week and will be ready for launch next week with the first webinar tentatively scheduled for the evening of July 28th. We've had many setbacks over the last year, but we've worked hard and diligently to make this a reality despite the setbacks knowing that our end goal of offering readily-avialable and affordable tuning information will help keep the automotive aftermarket performance industry alive and set to grow in the coming years.
IF YOU HAVE PURCHASED A BOOK DIRECTLY FROM US IN THE PAST AND HAVE REGISTERED ON OUR SITE, YOU WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL WITHIN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS REGARDING THE WEBINARS. I will also post upcoming webinars on this forum so that anybody who is interested has a chance to enroll.
FINALLY: I would like to apologize to everyone for MY lack of communication regarding our products and projects. I know that learning how to tune is something that many people want to do and I recognize that many are excited about the possibilities. I won't ask for your forgiveness, but I hope that those that have read the book recognize how much work it takes to bring projects like these to fruition. Rome wasn't built in a day. I am my own worst critic and nobody is as disappointed in how long this has taken as I am. I too have a family to take care of and a business to run so that I can pay my bills on time. These projects...the books, the webinars and the online magazine have taken every spare minute I've had available outside of work and family for the last 4 years. For those of you who have been patient, you have my humblest and sincerest thanks for your understanding.
I look forward to presenting the webinars soon and hope that many of you will join me.
Cheers,
Dan
Old 07-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Cool, Thanks for the update DAN....
Looking forward to the webinars...
Old 07-12-2010, 08:08 PM
10 Second Club

Maybe I missed it but where was the registry on your site? I bought my spiral bound copy over a year ago in one of the very first couple runs after the beta testing.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
Maybe I missed it but where was the registry on your site? I bought my spiral bound copy over a year ago in one of the very first couple runs after the beta testing.
The way our website was set up, whenever anyone purchased the book, they were given an option to register on our site during the order completion process. Some registered, some chose not to. It was an option provided to EVERYONE and it was purely the consumer's choice to opt in as a registered customer. For those that chose not to register, I don't see how they could expect to be contacted by us in the future. Beginning late last year, we made customer registration on our website mandatory for anyone buying products from us, but a minority of people chose to fill their forms out with obscenities or purposely misleading information. The minority of people who fall into the latter category have expressed through their behavior that they have no interest in receiving any bonus information our company offers. For the rest of you that chose not to register for whatever reason, we may make concessions to accomodate you but understand that that takes time and effort on our part to look up your shipping history. This is arduous, time-consuming work and will not be high on our list of priorities when ultimately the customer registration process was your choice at the time of purchase. In time I will set up a separate email account that I will post up here so that those who chose not to register can send their FULL purchase information to us to be verified and we will do so as time permits. We will not respond to any inquiries on this matter until we fully and properly set up the means to do so. Rest assured that I will make every effort possible to see to it that those honest and sincere people who have supported us gain the benefits of the bonuses we're offering. I consider our automotive community a group of like-minded enthusiasts and look forward to "seeing you" at the webinars.
Cheers, peeps!

Quick Reply: What happened to the beta tuning book?