Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Shift Speed / Shift Points

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Shift Speed / Shift Points

I have been working on my shift points for the past few days. I originally started with jimmyblue's shift points that are posted on the HPTuners forum but they were a little too aggressive for me. I don't do much freeway driving but do a lot of expressway driving (40-55mph) and the 43mph 3>4 shift was too close to my cruising speed. My current upshift points are similar to stock, (smoothed out the graphs a little bit giving a tiny bit more 2nd and 3rd gear hold at higher TPS) and I eliminated lockup in 3rd gear. I moved my downshifts closer to the upshifts so I don't have to go nearly WOT to get the car to downshift. So far I love the new setup, near stock upshifts to keep current gas mileage and more aggressive downshifts for power on demand. Haven't driven enough to see if they need any fine tuning, will keep everyone interested updated.

Attached is an excel file with my new shift points, stock, and jimmyblue's.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Shift Speed MyModified.zip (7.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 08-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

I have been looking for this type info to compare with my tweaking.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 98, the stock tcc lock was mostly the same as the 3-4 upshift, in the cruising range anyway. Meaning 3rd actually would never lock up, unless the selector was pulled down into 3 and the trans was not being permitted to shift to 4th.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Updated Shift Points

For the most part the previous shifts are pretty good except that when I am driving about 45-50MPH in 4th and give it about 50% throttle it goes from 4-2 and i'm not really liking it that much. I lowered the 2-3 and 3-2 shift points a bit to push the 4-2 downshift to about 60% throttle at 45-50MPH. I also slightly lowered the 1-2 and 2-1 shift points to move then a little further from 2-3 and 3-2. Still a work in progress, i've been logging data every morning and afternoon when I drive to and from work. Also changed the shift time table, any shift times above .300 to .300 and anything below .250 to .250. 1-2 table did not change but 2-3 and 3-4 did and I noticed a slight improvement in shift speed without much added harshness.

I also adjusted the TCC Lockup duty cycle max table to 100 and min table to 90 and I love the way the converter locks up now, must faster with no messing around. And finally I copied the 2-3 torque management row to 3-4 shift since it didn't have any TM. Then in the Engine>Torque Management>Spark Retard vs. Torque Reduction I reduced the values by half to give me 50% torque management. Trying to reduce as much TM as possible in order to keep Trans Delivered Torque under 300 at shifts.

Most my techniques were learned from JimmyBlue's old posts on these subjects.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Shift Speed MyModified2.zip (8.0 KB, 21 views)