Sponsored by:

HP tuners and scaning non LS1 engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HP tuners and scaning non LS1 engines

Hi

You know how it is. My girl friend has a 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander. It does not want to go when cold. I would like to scan it with HPT. Any body try this? Will it work
Thanks
Old 09-12-2008, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know but I hear you.
Friend had a 96 f150 throwing a code the other day and I couldn't even read the code out with HPtuners, but I can with a cheap CAN handheld scanner.
WEAK!

According to HPT I think you can scan any vehicle they support just not edit anything. So guess just find out if they support that vehicle. Being it's not a performance one I would guess no.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As stated you should be able to scan any vehicle on our supported vehicle listing, there are some GM applications that aren't on our supported list that you can scan generic obd2 data but not for other manufacturers such as Kia, mitsu, honda, toyota, etc.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_vehicles.php

Mitsu or the 96 Ford is not on the vehicles list so it won't scan them. I'm guessing the scanner can't interpret the OS on the other computers. This isn't a negative on HP Tuners they developed software for recent GM and Ford computers and interpreted the signals. It's much harder then you think to do this as the manufacturers try to stop this from happening I can't imagine what goes into doing this. It's basically hacking and reconfiguring the PCM. And you don't buy parts for a honda and expect them to work on an LS1 do you?
Old 09-12-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
As stated you should be able to scan any vehicle on our supported vehicle listing, there are some GM applications that aren't on our supported list that you can scan generic obd2 data but not for other manufacturers such as Kia, mitsu, honda, toyota, etc.
Not to hijack thread, but why don't hp tuners have support for lt1 cars?
Old 09-12-2008, 08:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Not to hijack thread, but why don't hp tuners have support for lt1 cars?
Because its not a pcm we support. HP Tuners wasn't formed until late 2003 which was 7 years after the last of the LT1 pcm's we made and keeping up with new pcm's keeps us more than busy enough with GM adding new operating systems & pcm's every day.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1987firechicken
http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_vehicles.php

Mitsu or the 96 Ford is not on the vehicles list so it won't scan them. I'm guessing the scanner can't interpret the OS on the other computers. This isn't a negative on HP Tuners they developed software for recent GM and Ford computers and interpreted the signals. It's much harder then you think to do this as the manufacturers try to stop this from happening I can't imagine what goes into doing this. It's basically hacking and reconfiguring the PCM. And you don't buy parts for a honda and expect them to work on an LS1 do you?

???
OBDII is an industry standard. One of it's purposes IS to be able to have known outputs so handheld scanners can read certain data like CEL's. That's why you can go to walmart or autozone and buy a $30 code reader and it works on any OBDII vehicle. If a $30 part from walmart can read any OBDII vehicle, I think it would be pretty easy for any of the tuner companies to add the same ability to read CEL's from any OBDII vehicle.

Were not talking about writing or editing the PCM, just reading/resetting trouble codes.
Something I would really like to not have to keep my second CAN-II around for.

Quick Reply: HP tuners and scaning non LS1 engines