Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

firebird v.s. camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default firebird v.s. camaro

this isnt a bash just a question.

was the trans am supposed to be the classier sports car? and the camaro the hard core muscle car? i know tey had the same chassis and engine so the performance is identical. i guess what im asking is........is kind of like chevy and gmc trucks? or am i looking too far into it? were overall production numbers close to the same? lets keep this easy and only go by f bodies. how come the firebird has so many more sub models than the camaro. camaro = easy to identify on the street. t/a = alot more sleeper models running around looking like 6 ers.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

what generation are you specifically thinking of?
Old 11-23-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

all of them, but most F Bodies!
Old 11-23-2008, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

not sure if there is an answer at all. Its just opinions.

Just some general observations I have:

Engines/suspensions differed up until the 4th gens.

GTAs in the 3rd gens were marketed up level of any F-body....
they had a ton of standard equpiment and special seats.

2nd and 3rd gen Formulas were the hardcore--I think. Cheaper then Z28s and GTAs but with the same (depending on generation) engines avaialble.

Camaros outsold Firebirds for the entire run..I think. May have been a year in the 2nd gens when that was not true.

I like Firebirds cause you don't see them as much as Camaros
Old 11-23-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No F-Body is a sports car! Also every year they were manufactured the Camaro always had more units manufactured especially late in the 4th gen
Old 11-23-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The popularity went back and forth between the two cars. There were a few years here and there were both models had there sales up and sales down it depended what was in at the time.Ofcourse you know when Smokey & The Bandit came out Trans Am sales went up because everyone want one because of the movie.Both cars always looked great and always will !Thats just my 2cents.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

The camaro is supposed to be the cheaper model. The T/A has a more thought out interior/exterior design and such. A Camaro is worth about $800 less according to edmunds.

its all down to opinion. An rx8 has a very, very thought out exterior but imo it looks busy.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Both cars share alot of parts but have always had different identities.
The Camaro was always the entry level F-Car and the Firebird was a little more upscale, this held true all the way from `67-02.
Different years would see each out performing the other.
Most notably the `67-69 Camaro SS L78 396 (375 HP)
The `73-74 SD 455 Formula/Trans Am's The `78-79 W72 400 4spd Formula/Trans Am's, 1989 Turbo Trans Am.
3rd and 4th Gens shared a Corporate Engine program, so identity while already well established historically was little more then sheetmetal and interior appointments. Except for the `89 Turbo T/A all 3rd or 4th Gen should have equal performance.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1W66
Except for the `89 Turbo T/A all 3rd or 4th Gen should have equal performance.
not quite. 3rd gen TPI Firebirds were down 5-10hp because of the restrective air intake
Old 11-23-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by avro206
not quite. 3rd gen TPI Firebirds were down 5-10hp because of the restrective air intake
Correct but your talking Rated HP vs Actual HP.
And if this is true why does a Base LS1 car put down the same numbers as a SS or WS6 Car when those cars are rated higher ?
Anyway I do agree with you that the TPI Birds had a more restrictive intake setup but not so much that it would show a difference on the street.
I could of added that the 3rd Gen Birds WS6 Suspension option was in fact a better setup then the IROC Camaro's but I chose to make my original post very generalized.

Last edited by LS1W66; 11-23-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1W66
Anyway I do agree with you that the TPI Birds had a more restrictive intake setup but not so much that it would show a difference on the street.
I could of added that the 3rd Gen Birds WS6 Suspension option was in fact a better setup then the IROC Camaro's but I chose to make my original post very generalized.
My magazine tests say otherwise.....

Yeah its almost impossible to be specific when talking about Firebird VS Camaro over 4 generations...and yes WS6 3rd gen was better then IROCs....owned both and the Firebird rides noticeably better.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MeangreenHD
this isnt a bash just a question.

was the trans am supposed to be the classier sports car? and the camaro the hard core muscle car? i know tey had the same chassis and engine so the performance is identical. i guess what im asking is........is kind of like chevy and gmc trucks? or am i looking too far into it? were overall production numbers close to the same? lets keep this easy and only go by f bodies. how come the firebird has so many more sub models than the camaro. camaro = easy to identify on the street. t/a = alot more sleeper models running around looking like 6 ers.
firebird and camaro are referenced the same.

now a trans am was for racing as well was the Z28.

now adays, the ram air package TA is what most think is the higher end car cause of the hood and specific wheels. just as the SS is more sout after cause of the hood and wheels. But ppl do like the Trans am more for the sorta luxory
Old 11-24-2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by avro206
My magazine tests say otherwise.....

Yeah its almost impossible to be specific when talking about Firebird VS Camaro over 4 generations...and yes WS6 3rd gen was better then IROCs....owned both and the Firebird rides noticeably better.
I agree i own a WS6 GTA
Old 11-24-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

ws6 = SS, so is the firehawk slightly better in horsepower? i think its supposed to have a better exhaust and intake. not sure though.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

From what i understand, the Firehawk was only a LITTLE faster than the SS as it was a little faster than the WS6.

Third Gen had trim level differences. Berlinetta was kinda gadget car and had like commercials marketed towards women. The Firebird SE was like a buisness man's Firebird. Then came the RS/Formula, the RS i assume was for the man who could not afford a Z28 but wanted the looks! so he got a V6 with the body kit that came with the Z28, while the Formula was supposed to be a street sleeper cause it looked like a Firebird, but had the big V8's as options.

Iroc was supposed to be the top of the line performance machine (till the Turbo T/a) while the GTA was a sophisticated luxury muscle car.

....I THINK
Old 11-25-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was always torn between getting a 4th Gen Camaro or a Trans Am. I knew I wanted the performance so that brought up the SS and the WS6. What sent me to the WS6 was that it's looks were more agressive. I liked how smooth and calm the Camaro look, but I wanted something to look as mean as it races! Someone said "Trans Ams are like beligerent, unrefined Corvettes." The more complex and well-designed interior of the Trans Am seems to prove that true along with the sleek looks brought by the bumpers, wing, honeycomb taillights and vented fenders. That's my take on the two 4th Gens!

Swat
Old 11-25-2008, 01:49 AM
Banned

Firehawks were supposely known to be faster cause they had more SLP options. if you orderd a 345hp SS then it would have same mods as the Hawk

in the end motor, trans and rear was the same for all the models of each year
Old 11-25-2008, 06:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PontiacSpeed91
From what i understand, the Firehawk was only a LITTLE faster than the SS as it was a little faster than the WS6.

Third Gen had trim level differences. Berlinetta was kinda gadget car and had like commercials marketed towards women. The Firebird SE was like a buisness man's Firebird. Then came the RS/Formula, the RS i assume was for the man who could not afford a Z28 but wanted the looks! so he got a V6 with the body kit that came with the Z28, while the Formula was supposed to be a street sleeper cause it looked like a Firebird, but had the big V8's as options.

Iroc was supposed to be the top of the line performance machine (till the Turbo T/a) while the GTA was a sophisticated luxury muscle car.

....I THINK
not a bad analysis...I'd just add the Formula was aimed squarely at the Mustang LX. Chevys RS was kinda of a lame duck...no good V8s.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
No F-Body is a sports car!
I've love you to enlighten me as to what exactly the F-Body IS then? Technically, we are a Touring Muscle Sports Pony Since we fit the classification of a Grand Tourer (if the Mustang does, we do), a Muscle Car, a Sports Car and a Pony Car.

But for the sake of simply arguing Sports Car... We're just a 2+2 Sports Car is all.

More on topic: The Firebird is the luxurious model of the F-Body. After owning 2 Firebirds, that's made itself pretty evident to me and I could never own a Camaro now lol
Old 11-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

both are killer rides... just my 2 cents...

Quick Reply: firebird v.s. camaro