Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Looking for a Firebird, but totally newbie !

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Looking for a Firebird, but totally newbie !

Hi there!

Just registered so kinda newbie...

I've been looking for a Firebird, and I've found a white 1994 model (3.4L V6) with 140k (kilometers)

Is there something I should really focus on when I'll see it for the first time ?
Is there any "typical" problem I should look for ? What are the "good questions" to ask the owner ?

Thanks for your help!
Gattaiolo
Old 12-07-2008, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

hello! welcome to the world of Firebird. I gotta say man, those 3.4's are not the most reliable...well in fact, in MY experience, its probably the least reliable motor to ever really have been put into a Fiirebird. If you really are just looking for the style of a Firebird, and want decent fuel economy, pick up a 3.8 liter with an A4 or 5 speed for extra mpg. Heck, you could go so far as to picking up a third gen with a 3.1 and will probably have better luck.

I do not want to scare you but i have had plenty of experience with the 3.4.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

Ya I recently picked up a 3.4L with 123,000 miles on it, and I'd say I've dropped around $400 dollars in it right now. But mine was really poorly treated by the previous owner, fluids changed once or twice, if that, in its entirety. So, it really depends I guess. Look under and check the exhaust system for rusting. Right now mine is running really well and the mechanics say its in good shape now, but its def. been a hell of a two weeks with it. Good luck. And really, look for 95+. I hate to bash my own car, but its just not a good idea to be picking up a 94.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, you said KM's so I'm guessing you're from Canada??
The 3.4L, like already stated, is not the best motor, it's also down on power. BUT, if it's in good shape you might be alright.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:23 AM

Hi all!

Thanks for your very quick replies, and for the first useful information you've given me!

Actually, I'm from Belgium (yeah, the other side of the ocean!) so that's why I talk in KMs ;-)

Concerning the choice of the model, I'm really looking for a 1993+ model in terms of style. Concerning the engine, I have no preference: just know that taxes here in Belgium are really high, and the bigger engine costs approx. the double.

Here's the link of the car:
http://fr.autoscout24.be/Details.aspx?id=147850053

Cheers!
Gatt
Old 12-08-2008, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

If you do decide to buy it, please remove those decals =) those body styles look really good when they are clean, maybe some kind of stripe down the middle by Phoenix graphics or something.

Just be careful with your choice, the 3.8 is a much better engine.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gattaiolo
Hi all!

Thanks for your very quick replies, and for the first useful information you've given me!

Actually, I'm from Belgium (yeah, the other side of the ocean!) so that's why I talk in KMs ;-)

Concerning the choice of the model, I'm really looking for a 1993+ model in terms of style. Concerning the engine, I have no preference: just know that taxes here in Belgium are really high, and the bigger engine costs approx. the double.

Here's the link of the car:
http://fr.autoscout24.be/Details.aspx?id=147850053

Cheers!
Gatt
Do you just really like the styling of the car or do you plan on racing it?
IMO a V6 fbody is a waste. You get sloppier suspension, and a significantly weaker engine that gets about the same gas mileage as the V8 model while costing only a little less.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:51 PM

Indeed, thanks for your help!

I think I'll go and see the white Firebird anyway, just to have a first contact with this car. I'll check what you told me to check.

And I'll think about what you (all) told me about the engine.

I'll let you know!
Gattaiolo
Old 12-09-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I definitely agree with getting a Firebird with the 3.8L. Not just because of the power, but also the reliability. Firebirds with the 3.8L began in 1996, so look for those years. As always, make sure to have the owner fire it up. Make sure there's no smoke and check the inside of the tailpipe for excessive carbon.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im selling my 3.8, want to buy it? Not sure how's you get it over there

keep looking around you'll come across something better
Old 12-09-2008, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sdm1234
I definitely agree with getting a Firebird with the 3.8L. Not just because of the power, but also the reliability. Firebirds with the 3.8L began in 1996, so look for those years. As always, make sure to have the owner fire it up. Make sure there's no smoke and check the inside of the tailpipe for excessive carbon.
95's are both 3.4 and 3.8 ive had 2 3.4's and never had a problem with either and i beat both of them up pretty bad always had 60lbs oil pressure never once had a problem just kept it maintained though

Quick Reply: Looking for a Firebird, but totally newbie !