Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Totalled car question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Totalled car question

My boyfriend lost control in the rain with my TA on mother's day and ran into the curb and a sign pretty hard. He has allstate insurance so we filed the claim under them even though my car is insured under me with State Farm. They have had my car at the shop since May 12th and just called me today and told me that they are totaling it out! The thing that confuses me is that they are only supposed to total it out if the damage is more than the cash value. Well, my damage is 14,197 for parts, labor and everything and they said my cars actual cash value is 15,125 which is more than the parts. But Allstate says that they have to add the amount for the rental car fees (since I have had the rental car while my car sat in the shop) and storage fees from the tow company since my car was non drivable from the scene because the rear axle was broken. Personally I think Allstate is scamming me. They have had my car at the shop for almost 3 weeks and just told me tonight that they are totalling it out!! I am so pissed. I dont think that the rental and storage has anything to do with it. It is only supposed to be totalled out if the total damage is more than the car is worth. Can anyone PLEASE HELP me to know if I am right?
Old 05-29-2009, 02:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6chick
My boyfriend lost control in the rain with my TA on mother's day and ran into the curb and a sign pretty hard. He has allstate insurance so we filed the claim under them even though my car is insured under me with State Farm. They have had my car at the shop since May 12th and just called me today and told me that they are totaling it out! The thing that confuses me is that they are only supposed to total it out if the damage is more than the cash value. Well, my damage is 14,197 for parts, labor and everything and they said my cars actual cash value is 15,125 which is more than the parts. But Allstate says that they have to add the amount for the rental car fees (since I have had the rental car while my car sat in the shop) and storage fees from the tow company since my car was non drivable from the scene because the rear axle was broken. Personally I think Allstate is scamming me. They have had my car at the shop for almost 3 weeks and just told me tonight that they are totalling it out!! I am so pissed. I dont think that the rental and storage has anything to do with it. It is only supposed to be totalled out if the total damage is more than the car is worth. Can anyone PLEASE HELP me to know if I am right?

ive heard it has to only be 1/2 the depreciated value of the vehicle, almost 15k in damages.... yea its totaled. no insurance company in the right mind would repair a vehicle that cost more to fix than its worth.

and why did you let them keep it so long? they should have an adjuster come to you and then from there go to a shop to get it fixed, not have it at their shop for half a month.... its late so i might be crazy but this doesnt make sense.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:22 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Years ago it was 85% of ACV, but more recently they lowered it to 65%, but on vehicles that have high resale value at the salvage auction, they total them off at 50% or lower. V8 F bodies and corvettes bring a good return at the salvage auction, so they will be totaled off at a lower threshold. They do it to save money. If they can get 25 - 30% of its value at the auction, why would they fix it, if it cost more the 70% of ACV. Add in the supplemental, the rental car, the possibility of hidden drive train damage. Their smart move is to total it. I don't understand, why they took so long to tell you its totaled, in most states, they need to settle the claim within 30 days. That means you should either have your vehicle back fixed or the money for it. Ask them how much to buy it back and I'm willing to bet its around 25% of the ACV, since that's what they think they can get at the salvage auction.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i own a body shop and most ins. companys will total at 75 to 80% of value--how bad is it actually ?? you always have the option of taking most of the money and buying it back and then have it fixed if its not too bad---i have fixed many a totaled car for way less than the estimate---got any pictures ??
Old 05-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Wow that sucks I've heard so many stories of the girlfriend crashing the boyfriends nice car and ******* it up, but not the other way around. Sounds like a pretty weird story so I'm not sure what to think.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

It is about half now my 96 Camaro just got totalled out it so I know. But that is in teh state of Florida. Not to sure in other areas.

If the damage is that high, they will total it out anyways, 99.99% of the time that is a estimate and when the body shop tears into the repairs the cost goes up over the estimate. So your 14k may end up being 16+

If your car was modded like my car was I bought my whole car back 350.00 bucks settle for what they give you and buy it back and part it out. I have made my money back by just selling the wheels off my car, now that i wish I did not do.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

do you have any pics of your car? interested becuase i will buy it off the insurance auction after they take posession of the car.

and ya, on a $15k car, it would only take about $9k in damage for insurance to total it out these days.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by andrew69_04
do you have any pics of your car? interested becuase i will buy it off the insurance auction after they take posession of the car.

and ya, on a $15k car, it would only take about $9k in damage for insurance to total it out these days.
Are u talking about the firebird or my Camaro?
Old 05-29-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like the shop not insurance. the insurance just takes the pricing from the shop and decides if its totaled. seems like the shop wanted to earn the money and were going to fix it but then decided its not worth the trouble.

also, if the car is that damaged, it probably wont be fixed right. they just make it drivable. the suspension will still be screwed up and with the power our cars have its dangerous. just find yourself a new one.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6chick
I have a morning ritual that I need to share. I call it "the terminator". First I crouch down in the shower in the classic "naked terminator traveling through time" pose. With my eyes closed I crouch there for a minute, visualizing either Arnold or the guy from the second movie (not the chick in the third one because that one sucked) and I start to hum the terminator theme. Then I slowly rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me to proceed through my day as an emotionless, cyborg badass. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It ruins the fantasy.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Launching!

^ wtf ? lol
Old 06-03-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With $15k worth of damage, ditch that car ASAP.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

To be blunt, you're wrong..completely wrong. Allstate isn't scamming you. NO ONE fixes a vehicle at 100% of ACV. Whoever told you that needs to leave the body shop stuff to the professionals. Allstate's threshold can range anywhere from 60-75% depend on some variables. They most likely went off of the shop's preliminary estimate OR sent out their own appraiser, they then probably authorized the shop to tear down the vehicle for further inspection.

The fact is based on the repair figure it's definitely a total loss. There's no question about it.

If I was estimating that car I wouldn't want to repair it. I would total it if I was the appraiser assigned to the file.

Quick Reply: Totalled car question