Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Small (hopefully) problem with my T/A

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small (hopefully) problem with my T/A

I put this in the general maintenance section and didn't get any responses so hopefully someone here can help me out. I have a 00 T/A A4 with just under 30,000 miles. When I'm just driving this thing normally like a sane person I have no real big issues with it, runs and drives great. However, when I really get on it and put it at WOT or a little less, I get this ticking sound (best way I know to describe it really) and when the car switches to the next gear feels jerky/sluggish. Went by O'Reilly's and ran their diagnostic tool on it and got a misfire on cylinder #2. Forgot to write down the damn code #s. First thought was to just get new plugs and wires, but if it was a plug or wire wouldn't I notice it at low rpms and normal speeds just like I would when it's wide open too? If it sounds like I'm hard on this thing I'm really not, but I do like to have my fun occassionally and open her up. Basically just looking for some Idea's and too see if anyone has experienced anything similar. Want to get it fixed and try not to break the bank at the same time. Once again, it's fine just normal everyday driving, only when i open it up and get above 3,000 rpm or so do I notice the sound and the jerky feeling. Thanks guys. Appreciate any help.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Teching In

What kind of fuel are you running?
Old 09-13-2009, 05:35 PM

Shell Vpower 93 and Exxon Supreme 93 is all that has been run through this thing since i bought it.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Teching In

What kind of ticking? Like metal on metal or like a loud stop watch? It could be a number of things, but a good place to start is with plugs and wires. You may have a plug that is getting fowled out or a wire giving too high of resistance. Its hard to notice a misfire on a V8 at lower loads, at high load is where your really going to feel one cylinder misfiring. Start with plugs and wires see if that clears things up.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by USMarine0351
What kind of ticking? Like metal on metal or like a loud stop watch? It could be a number of things, but a good place to start is with plugs and wires. You may have a plug that is getting fowled out or a wire giving too high of resistance. Its hard to notice a misfire on a V8 at lower loads, at high load is where your really going to feel one cylinder misfiring. Start with plugs and wires see if that clears things up.
More of a stopwatch like ticking. Doesn't sound like metal just kind of a clicky sound. My first thought was plugs/wires so hopefully that's what it is. Having it checked out tuesday by a local guy that's supposed to be pretty good with these things. It would bother me more if it did it all the time but like I said only when I really get on it do i notice the ticking sound and sluggish performance. Appreciate the help. Any advice on quality plugs and wires if that's what it turns out to be? Half the time I hear stick with OEM, half the time I hear NGK plugs with MSD wires just want to make sure I dont buy junk.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Wires and spark plug issues are more likely to show up under full power. I would say that you need new wires and plugs at the same time. A bad coil will also make itself known when under WOT power. The car can cruise around just fine, but when you need the power the extra spark is lost. The noise you hear is the spark jumping to ground.

Misfire code on #2 means that's where you look, but change them all. Plugs and GOOD wires.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Wink

Originally Posted by midnightriderT/A
More of a stopwatch like ticking. Doesn't sound like metal just kind of a clicky sound. My first thought was plugs/wires so hopefully that's what it is. Having it checked out tuesday by a local guy that's supposed to be pretty good with these things. It would bother me more if it did it all the time but like I said only when I really get on it do i notice the ticking sound and sluggish performance. Appreciate the help. Any advice on quality plugs and wires if that's what it turns out to be? Half the time I hear stick with OEM, half the time I hear NGK plugs with MSD wires just want to make sure I dont buy junk.
I say stick with the OEM ACDELCO's. I've heard E3 diamond fire were also good. As long as they have the same heat range as OEM specs. then I suppose you wont have a problem. Don't change the heat range unless you plan on tuning your computer for the change. As far as wires go, the more they cost (9x out of 10) the better they will be. If you really want to get the most out of your wires then get Plug wire heat boots, which helps them last longer and reduces increased resistance through heat transfer.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by midnightriderT/A
Shell Vpower 93 and Exxon Supreme 93 is all that has been run through this thing since i bought it.
While you're taking care of the plugs and wires, I would recommend that you also stay away from Shell gas. A while back, it was reported that many car owners had their engines damaged from a sugary additive in their gasoline that messed up the powertrain. A class-action lawsuit was filed; I don't know who prevailed, but I would assume justice was served.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ticking sound may be a bad wire. At night, very dark night, take a windex style bottle full of water and lightly mist around the wires and plugs with it running. If they start "glowing" then that one is bad. Make sure you use dielectric grease when you put hte news on.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
While you're taking care of the plugs and wires, I would recommend that you also stay away from Shell gas. A while back, it was reported that many car owners had their engines damaged from a sugary additive in their gasoline that messed up the powertrain. A class-action lawsuit was filed; I don't know who prevailed, but I would assume justice was served.
Is this the issue you are referring to? If so, it was local to Canada and did seem to surface primarily on Chrysler vehicles. http://royaldutchshellplc.com/2004/0...ll-gas-claims/

The only other article I found referred to marine engines and fiberglass tanks, and was not unique to Shell.http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com...hanol-gas.html
Old 09-16-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, I agree, this sounds to me like a wire, but it may but that one of your wires has shaken loose from the plug. What I would do is make sure all of them are snapped in good until you feel the wire "CLICK" on both the coil and the plug..... The reason you wouldn't hear it at lower rpm is because there would be less "clicks" and probably not as loud.

Start with wires, and if you find a wire that was burned or damaged, chances are you need to replace that plug, because it could very well have fouled the plug by not firing right.... This would usually make it idle a little "choppier" too and if its a wire/plug after the fix your fuel mileage should go up a little.....

Really just sounds like a loose wire to me.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing to check is that your plugs are tight. Had a guy at work change his and a couple of weeks later, he had a ticking noise and the rear one on the right side was loose. You could actually see it moving back and forth as the engine was running.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Banned

You may have just had a wire come loose and it's arcing somewhere.

Got headers? Could be a burnt plug wire? Ticking could also be an exhaust leak.

Just throwing stuff out there for you, but I would start with plugs and wires first as well.

Quick Reply: Small (hopefully) problem with my T/A