Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Trading in the WS6...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading in the WS6...

Well, there's a distinct possibility that I'll be trading in my '01 WS6 this weekend for a truck. I know that stealerships always "low-ball" you when trading in a vehicle, so I was going to bring the "NADA Guide Trade-In Value" printout in hopes of using it as a bargaining chip. The NADA Guide says the car is worth around $9,700 as a clean trade-in. It's only got 80K miles on it and aside from Hotchkis lowering springs, an Edelbrock adj. phb, CETA mod, exhaust cut out, Flowmaster muffler, and new rims and tires, it's otherwise stock. I've never messed with the motor. I've only used it to go to and from work. On the weekends, it stays in the garage (the excitement of driving it has come and gone). I was wondering what you guys thought...should I go ahead and trade it or try to sell it outright?

Old 04-15-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

See what they say they'll give you for it, then maybe try to sell it outright first to see if you can get what you are looking for for it. Yeah those dealerships use a "program" that basically searches within the area to see what other similar vehicxles are selling for at the auctions, so they always come in below NADA of KBB. If you own it out right, sell it first to get your moneys worth.
I tried trading in my truck and they would only give me $3500 for it, but I know I could probably get around $6000 from the right buyer.
Just post it on the classifieds here and see what happens, pretty good mileage for an '01 with some minor mods, so I would think you could get at least $10k.... car looks good by the way, let me know if you de-mod and wanna sell the rear springs.
Hmm that looks like a FL tag, I just moved to GA from FL and miss home already. Cars/trucks are more exepnsive up here for some reason??? Good luck with your decision
Old 04-15-2010, 11:19 PM
9 Second Club

I agree classifieds are better. Or I would try and find someone to sell it on ebay for you. The dealership is only going to give you maybe 6grand for it. That way they can sell it for 8 ro 9. For an example my buddy just totaled his red TA ws6 58,000 miles he argued for over a month for the insurance to give him more for his car. This car you could eat off the bottom garage kept and was a show car. He finally got 8500 out of it they said thats all they sale for, good luck man.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

That's a nice looking ride! Selling yourself is always best but IF they can come within $1,000 or so of what you want to get out of it then maybe it would be worth the convenience of trading it in. You didn't say if the truck was a new 2010 model purchase or just a used older truck. They have more room off 'list' usually and your car could be a bargaining chip. So many factors involved from dealership to dealership. Again, selling yourself is best and then you can go to the dealer with cash in hand.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get an older truck and keep the WS6, looks to clean to get rid of it. Even if thr excitement of driving it has come and gone, I bet you will miss it and regret it in the long run.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure that with 80k on it that car is worth more than that..
Old 04-17-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

I would have a hard time parting from that car
Old 04-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Teching In

You know what fellas?...I think you've convinced me to keep the WS6. I was never really completely "thrilled" about the prospect of getting rid of it anyway. Yea, having a truck would be nice and practical, but...the TA is so much cooler! Thanks guys!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dubyaesix
You know what fellas?...I think you've convinced me to keep the WS6. I was never really completely "thrilled" about the prospect of getting rid of it anyway. Yea, having a truck would be nice and practical, but...the TA is so much cooler! Thanks guys!!!
theres no feeling better than having a Camaro or Trans Am in the spring or summer time riding with the windows down Ttops off or convertible top down engine roaring music loud all eyez on u some with envy some with admiration as u cruise in 1 of the greatest sports carz ever made.....im never selling my T/A EVER!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC01TA
selling yourself is best
Is that legal?!?

But yeah, OP, you're not going to get that trade in value IMO. You're going to get more money selling it outright, but as mentioned above, sometimes the convenience is worth it if it's close to what you want!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good choice on keeping that awesome car!!!

Quick Reply: Trading in the WS6...