Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

5 questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 questions

1. Curb weight of a 2000 WS6?

2. Why does it briefly smell like something burning after I go about 120+?

3. Why does my clutch pedal and shifter vibrate after I do about 85+?

4. What is the sound coming from the bottom of my car when I turn at slow speeds? It's hard to describe. "Whirring?" It sounds like it's a major component of the suspension

5. Why am I getting brake failure from pressing the brakes hard? My brake pads are relatively new, but the brake lines are rusty. Is this the problem?
Old 05-01-2010, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what do you mean by brake failure?
Old 05-01-2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by jsteele90
what do you mean by brake failure?
basically the car stops slowing down after the brake pedal is depressed a certain amount and I wanna say I could feel the pedal vibrate a bit, but I don't know if I'm just thinking of how the clutch pedal was shaking after getting it to a higher speed or if it actually was the brake pedal

this normally happens when it's raining. one time the road was slightly wet and I was slowing down from 100+. thought I was gonna hit the guy ahead of me (took a LONG time to stop)
Old 05-01-2010, 05:45 PM

it's not a good feeling, trust me. haha
Old 05-01-2010, 09:06 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gbpxl

4. What is the sound coming from the bottom of my car when I turn at slow speeds? It's hard to describe. "Whirring?" It sounds like it's a major component of the suspension

5. Why am I getting brake failure from pressing the brakes hard? My brake pads are relatively new, but the brake lines are rusty. Is this the problem?
1. Search the internet for the answer
2. What the hell do you expect it to smell like after you've driven the car that hard?
3. Have no idea....I'm an automatic guy. If I had to guess, it's probably from repeated hard driving and banging through the gears.
4. More than likely the rear end gears...it's a common thing with f-bodies that have had rear end gear swaps.
5. Brake failure, brake pulsating or brake fading? Failure means absolutely no brakes at all. If they feel like they're pulsating, that's just your ABS kicking in. If you're experiencing brake fade, you'll have brakes, but not 100%.

I'd recommend not beating the hell out of your car so much if you don't want these issues to get worse or create yourself new ones.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
1. Search the internet for the answer
2. What the hell do you expect it to smell like after you've driven the car that hard?
3. Have no idea....I'm an automatic guy. If I had to guess, it's probably from repeated hard driving and banging through the gears.
4. More than likely the rear end gears...it's a common thing with f-bodies that have had rear end gear swaps.
5. Brake failure, brake pulsating or brake fading? Failure means absolutely no brakes at all. If they feel like they're pulsating, that's just your ABS kicking in. If you're experiencing brake fade, you'll have brakes, but not 100%.

I'd recommend not beating the hell out of your car so much if you don't want these issues to get worse or create yourself new ones.
I did a search and got answers from 34XX to 36XX.

The problems were all created from previous owners. With the exception of seeing how fast it could go (while still staying below 3k RPMs), I baby it.

I wanted to know how to fix these problems more than anything rather than hear it from a mechanic.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

this normally happens when it's raining. one time the road was slightly wet and I was slowing down from 100+. thought I was gonna hit the guy ahead of me (took a LONG time to stop)

Last edited by LirvA; 05-03-2010 at 08:49 PM. Reason: you sound like a pretty dangerous driver. Try not to die or kill anyone else
Old 05-04-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pretty vague questions. What mods are done to the car?
1.) Like you posted earlier, 3400-3600lbs.
2.) Go into better detail with the smell, is it like rubber? Exhaust? Oil?
3.) Never heard of a clutch pedal "vibrating", but my guess would possibly be bad engine mounts or trans mount.
4.)As mentioned already, probably the rear end, or could be your power steering.
5.) What you are getting sounds like brake fade. Check/change your brake fluid, and then add good pads (like Hawk HPS for example) and some decent blank rotors (brembos, or even duralast which I've had good luck with) should fix this (and get you dramatically better stopping power as well).

Quick Reply: 5 questions