Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Third gen WS6 Formula?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez...a bunch of know it alls in here...lol

Seriously
-the 92 Formula's could be had with the black crosslace wheels, it was part of the 225hp 5.0 performance option package.
-the 91 and 92 T/A converts could be had with gold wheels....and there was no GTA convert...so yes...not just the GTA got gold wheels...
-WS6 started in 78 as a suspension performance package...springs, shocks, bushings, 8" wide vs 7" wide wheels etc... It has been available on other cars also (Bonneville, Grand Am, Sunbird etc)
- Any other guestions? I have two Firebird books in front of me with history from begining to end...
The following users liked this post:
carlos64030 (11-25-2020)
Old 05-13-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Philhawk02, yes there were vert GTA's.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mannyman84
Philhawk02, yes there were vert GTA's.
Yes there were Vert GTA's, but not "factory" built. The verts weren't factory built anyway, but regarless....the Firebird factory issue converts didn't return until 1991, and at that time they did not make a GTA vert, just a T/A vert.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Philhawk02
Yes there were Vert GTA's, but not "factory" built. The verts weren't factory built anyway, but regarless....the Firebird factory issue converts didn't return until 1991, and at that time they did not make a GTA vert, just a T/A vert.
Yes sir.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Yes sir.
I have to edit my cocky asswipe sounding response.... I am not trying to be captain dink, just trying to help clear things up...

anyway...I looked at GTA source..and they basically say what I just did, so, I am curious to hear what you've read somewhere else?

Last edited by Philhawk02; 05-13-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Philhawk02
I have to edit my cocky asswipe sounding response.... I am not trying to be captain dink, just trying to help clear things up...

anyway...I looked at GTA source..and they basically say what I just did, so, I am curious to hear what you've read somewhere else?
Just things like the rims option in other colors other than black or gold, also like the TTA came in another color other than white but it's unknown, there where some GTA's that came with drums instead of disc breaks. It's been about a year and I don't remember where I saw this. The rarest GTA's where 90 and 92. Mostly the 92
Old 05-13-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
WS6 was first available in the 77 year, i believe. i know for sure it was an option in 78. the most important upgrade in the package was the quick ratio steering. the bars and shocks/springs were easily and often swapped anyway. also, WS6 wasnt limited to just pontiac f-bodies. WS6 was an upgraded suspension package available in other cars. every turbo sunbird made came standard with WS6. doesnt mean it was the same exact suspension under the f-body, but it was the upgraded susp. and steering. it may also have been an option, or possibly standard, on the 77 Can Am.
WS6 came out in '78. In addition to the steering, sway bars, etc., it also included 15x8 wheels. Non-WS6 cars had 15x7 wheels standard.

And yes, WS6 has been used on many Pontiacs to denote the top level suspension option. I have an '88 Fiero Formula that has WS6 suspension. Ironic that my Fiero has WS6, but my 2000 TA doesn't.

Pontiac typically had 3 suspension levels, base, Y99 and WS6.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by eseibel67
My 92 Formula was factory ordered. I waited for 3 months, and it was delivered with the black cross lace wheels.
Cross lace wheels were a common dealer add-on to the late 3rd gens.
A guy I work with has a '92 base V6 Firebird that came with 16" gold cross lace wheels when new. It was a dealer option along with some pinstriping.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ment power wise. There is NO ws6 3rd gens.....
what the hell are you talking about?? this entire thread has nothing but examples of WS6 equiped 3rd gens.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what the hell are you talking about?? this entire thread has nothing but examples of WS6 equiped 3rd gens.
I think he is trying to say that none had a WS6 ram air option like the 4th gens had which is true. But what he doesn't realize is that WS6 had nothing to do with ram air until the package was reintroduced on the 1996 trans am/formula as the "WS6 performance and handling package"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThEp700mc1s
Old 05-14-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

once again..NO WS6 THIRD GENS ONLY PERFORMANCE SUSPENSION
Old 05-14-2010, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
I think he is trying to say that none had a WS6 ram air option like the 4th gens had which is true. But what he doesn't realize is that WS6 had nothing to do with ram air until the package was reintroduced on the 1996 trans am/formula as the "WS6 performance and handling package"
well actually what im trying to say is that the cars were not equipped with power mods but only suspension mods and they were not called WS6 trans ams until 96, the top of the line trans am was the GTA which had the WS6 perfomance suspension and thats all, but they were not called a ws6. so for someone to say they have a 3rd gen ws6 is completly impossible
Old 05-14-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

well actually what im trying to say is that the cars were not equipped with power mods but only suspension mods and they were not called WS6 trans ams until 96, the top of the line trans am was the GTA which had the WS6 perfomance suspension and thats all, but they were not called a ws6. so for someone to say they have a 3rd gen ws6 is completly impossible
i see youre trying really hard, and its not working. it doesnt matter what it was 'called'. they were EQUIPPED with the WS6 option, period. so if you think its so 'impossible', what about every single 3rd gen formula produced?? what do you call them? they ALL have the WS6 suspension. so what, theyre forbidden to say they have the WS6 susp. in your eyes? event though they have WS6 on the RPO sheet, plain as day, may god strike them down if they even mention the letters and number??
Old 05-14-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i see youre trying really hard, and its not working. it doesnt matter what it was 'called'. they were EQUIPPED with the WS6 option, period. so if you think its so 'impossible', what about every single 3rd gen formula produced?? what do you call them? they ALL have the WS6 suspension. so what, theyre forbidden to say they have the WS6 susp. in your eyes? event though they have WS6 on the RPO sheet, plain as day, may god strike them down if they even mention the letters and number??
^ Correct. If RPO code WS6 is on the SPI sticker, that's what it is.

A 4th gen WS6 also has the same engine as the vanilla Trans Am (WS6 only had more HP according to the sales brochure). But I suppose the emblem and hood scoops is what makes it a real WS6 for the casual automotive enthusiast.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

I have two '92 T/A verts, one has the WS6 RPO code (suspension package w/badge under map pouch) and one does not. The one that is not WS6 came stock w/gold lace wheels. This confirms that not all third gen Formula Firebird T/As were WS6, and those that were not WS6 could have gold lace wheels. The WS6 has black lace wheels.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

once again..NO WS6 THIRD GENS ONLY PERFORMANCE SUSPENSION
I have a WS6 3rd gen, and if you look at any such equipped car with a RPO sheet, WS6 is listed. Why would WS6 be listed if it were not optioned with WS6 equipment?

Even the little center caps say WS6 in big letters, my 1988 has the "performance suspension" badge on the dash under the glove pocket. My 1989 however does not have this badge. Both are equipped with a quick ratio steering box, bigger sway bars, wider dished wheels, WS6 option code, BW 9 bolt rear diffs with performance posi, etc.

For the un-believers:

Have you ever actually seen one of these cars? Just because they don't have the big nostril hood doesn't make them "not a WS6"....

As some one already said, just about every Trans am/Formula/GTA either had this code mandatory with the 5.7L motors or was available as an option.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FordGirlGoneBad
I have two '92 T/A verts, one has the WS6 RPO code (suspension package w/badge under map pouch) and one does not. The one that is not WS6 came stock w/gold lace wheels. This confirms that not all third gen Formula Firebird T/As were WS6, and those that were not WS6 could have gold lace wheels. The WS6 has black lace wheels.

Right and wrong....like I said all 3rd Gen FORMULA's were WS6s...but certainly not all 3rd Gen TAs were. Two different cars.
The following users liked this post:
carlos64030 (11-25-2020)
Old 05-14-2010, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
Right and wrong....like I said all 3rd Gen FORMULA's were WS6s...but certainly not all 3rd Gen TAs were. Two different cars.
Wanna make it even more confusing?
You could get the Firebird S/E with the WS6 package...meaning you could get a V6 or 4cyl Firebird with the Ws6 package until 1987....
Old 05-14-2010, 04:26 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

wow man......for a firebird moderator you need to get out more. WS6 was first available in the 77 year, i believe. i know for sure it was an option in 78. the most important upgrade in the package was the quick ratio steering. the bars and shocks/springs were easily and often swapped anyway. also, WS6 wasnt limited to just pontiac f-bodies. WS6 was an upgraded suspension package available in other cars. every turbo sunbird made came standard with WS6. doesnt mean it was the same exact suspension under the f-body, but it was the upgraded susp. and steering. it may also have been an option, or possibly standard, on the 77 Can Am.
They didn't use it as a "model name" until the fourth-gens.

Yes, I am well aware that it was an option since the late 70's. You need to reread my post.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so you guys are telling me that I can go around saying I have a 1990 gta WS6 and look stupid. Or I can rather say I have a 1990 gta with the WS6 package and know what hell i'm saying. What I'm trying to say is that they were not considered ws6 but rather just a formula or a GTA. I've had my GTA for a long *** time and know what the hell I'm saying. I have a 1990 GTA trans am with the ws6 package which had no performance upgrades just by having a ws6 option. And the ws6 package was standard on the GTA

Quick Reply: Third gen WS6 Formula?