TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^

:\
Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Saturn5
Here's a writeup on how to change the socket without cutting and splicing any wires:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/11115320-post8.html
Originally Posted by offroadfury6
disassemble it? pfft too much work...splice it, solder it, and electrical tape it, done...
Just wanted to bump this and say that I did this last night on my car. Replaced both housings and both sockets using the method provided in the first link, and it was very easy to do. I can assure you the work it takes to splice in wires is WAY more work than disassembling one of these sockets
Old 05-21-2011, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

A much easier solution is to simply clean the socket with electronic cleaner spray (available from any auto store), and then fill up the socket with di-electric grease before re-installing the bulb.

Mine's been working with that fix for 4+ years now with no problems.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by navy02ws6
A much easier solution is to simply clean the socket with electronic cleaner spray (available from any auto store), and then fill up the socket with di-electric grease before re-installing the bulb.

Mine's been working with that fix for 4+ years now with no problems.
Before converting to LED, I did this. It helped a lot, but it didn't cure the problem completely. When I put in new sockets, new housings and LED bulbs I also made sure to use plenty of di-electric grease to prevent corrosion from starting. So far it's been over a year and so problems yet. *knock on wood*

IMO, the big reason to switch to LEDs is for lower heat so you don't have the discoloration and cracking of the DRL housing. Only time will tell how well the conversion has worked.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bought my 99 TA a week ago, redoing all lights, already $380 ordered. Had to replace the passenger front turn signal bulb, load was goofy and would only blink every 10 seconds. Now works fine, it off loaded the drivers side and replaced both, all works good... EXCEPT, the passenger side DRL is not working, but blinks just fine when the turn signal is on. Will be purchasing new socket tomorrow to replace due to slight corrossion on present one. Should this fix it? Tired of feeling like an idiot who can't take care of my car because I drive with one DRL (but thats just my feeling). Slight crack in housing, nothing major isn't even cracked on the outside it's hairline and the inside half of the housing. Looking for new ones currently. Cheapest I can find is $55, anybody know of any better deals?

Thanks
Jared

Quick Reply: Turn signal question for WS6?