Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Whats wrong with Formulas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teamfbody
the trans ams look 100% better & sportier than the firebird looking formulas hands down IMO plus on the T/As leather seats are standard

So what? I bet half the people with leather wish they had cloth. When I started looking for a Formula, I was looking forward to it having cloth seats. I ended up finding a loaded one that happened to have leather.

It cracks, is hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and is that lovely plasticy cheap leather that GM uses.

Yeah, leather is so awesome.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by teamfbody
i hate hardtops,im glad all the 98-02 T/As came with ttops,bcuz aint nothing like taking your ttops off on a nice sunny day to feel the breeze
I agree with that, I love my t-tops!

My '88 GTA and my '98 Formy were both hardtops, so when I was looking for, and then bought my current car, the one thing I was NOT sacrificing was t-tops. That meant more to me than M6 vs. A4.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

i have a 94 formula, i hate that rear hatch. all it does is catch rain and with it drys it leaves water marks. lol so ima get a trans am hatch. but i still like my formula better that a trans
Old 07-29-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by olskoolLT1
i have a 94 formula, i hate that rear hatch. all it does is catch rain and with it drys it leaves water marks. lol so ima get a trans am hatch. but i still like my formula better that a trans
Haha, that's true, it sure does make a good bird bath!

And I hate clearing the 20lbs of ice out of it in the winter.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Having owned an 02 TA WS6 and now a lowly 98 Formula....I must say I prefer the Formula. They're so unassuming thY most people hardly double take at them. The TA is big and flashy, still fast but more like the godfather in terms of you know its quick but doesn't have to show off. The Formula on the other hand is straight Al Capone, and willing you show you taillights in any dirty way possible. It's nice driving a car with a chip on your's and the car's shoulder.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Quad snorkels

Originally Posted by hawk584
reading/skimming through all 5 pages.. i don't see how some of you can dislike the quad snorkel WS6 hood, to me it looks 10x better, meaner and more aggressive then her SS camaro counter part that looks boring and plan.... as far as formula's go, it doesn't matter how bad *** you make your formula, the '91-97 formula Firehawk's either modded or bone stock are the sexiest off all formula's..
When compared to the SS, I would have to agree. I also agree that the early Firehawks are some of the best looking as well!
Old 08-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Banned

Way I see it.

Formula = Z28

Trans Am = has no Camaro equal, right in between the Z28 and SS

Trans Am WS6 Package = SS
Old 08-07-2011, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Way I see it.

Formula = Z28

Trans Am = has no Camaro equal, right in between the Z28 and SS

Trans Am WS6 Package = SS
I can't say I agree with your line of thinking, but I'm curious...

Where exactly does a Firebird Formula WS6 fall in this analogy?

Last edited by Mumbles; 08-07-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Jesus!! So much incorrect info in this thread it makes my head spin!

Formula Vs. Trans am
These are the facts:

Drivetrain differences:
Base Formulas have the same exact drive train as base Trans am's. period. 100% identical from the air filter to the exhaust tips. Same motor and same tranny options, both manual and auto in each year they were made.

Body/exterior differences:
Trans am=Foglights(biggest give away), Side skirts, Rear bumper with exhaust "ports", and the high rise spoier.
Formula=essentially looks like a V6 car. No sideskirts, low rise spoiler, or big circle foglights.

All 4th gen V8 birds (Formula or Trans am) had identical hoods each year, unless it was a ram air optioned car (WS6 package, Firehawk, COMP T/A)

WS6/Ram air hoods:
The WS6 package is offered on BOTH Trans ams AND Formulas. It is not a Trans am only option and is not a standard option on the Trans ams.

Interior Options:
All options on Trans Ams were available on Formulas as well, they just didnt come standard on the Formula like they did the Trans am (leather seats, electric seats, t tops ect.)

VIN/Title differences:
VIN numbers on V8 4th gen Firebirds (Formulas and Trans ams) did not indicate whether it was a Trans Am or a Formula specifically, just that it was a V8 car. The only way you can tell is by looking through the RPO codes. Most titles say something like "Firebird Formula Trans Am" because the VIN is not trim specific.

WS6, WS7, WS9

WS6=An oem option package for all 96-02 V8 Firebirds (both formula and trans am) that included a funcitonal ram air hood, 17 inch rims, unique exhaust tips, bigger front sway bar, a ws6 badge, and a power steering cooler.

WS7=A non factory package, usually the name for a car that came out of the factory without the ws6 ram air package, and a ram air hood was added to it.

WS9=this is actually the RPO code that specifies that a car is a Formula and not a trans am. So all 4th gen formulas are WS9 cars, thus why I have a ws9 badge on the back of my car Some companies also make an aftermarket ram air hood called a "ws9 hood." It has nothing to do with the oem RPO code, just a name. Some people put ws9 badges on their car if they have this hood.

Some exceptions to the rules:
While 93 Trans am's came loaded, the '94 Trans am did not come standard with T-tops and had the low rise spoiler standard. To get t-tops, 155mph speedo, the highrise spoiler, and z rated tires, you needed the Trans am GT package. These were the only years the "GT" package was an option.

93-94 Formulas came with Z rated tires, 155mph speedo standard, and t-tops/leather were optional, no "GT" package or equivilant for the 93-94 formulas to get the performance stuff.
Very nice write up, i go through the same thing all the time when I tell people my Ttype is the same as a grand national. you should hear the stupid replies
to that also.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I can't say I agree with your line of thinking, but I'm curious...

Where exactly does a Firebird Formula WS6 fall in this analogy?
Idk...

I would guess....

Firebird Formula WS6 = Camaro Z28 with RS appearance package
Old 08-07-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Jesus!! So much incorrect info in this thread it makes my head spin!

Formula Vs. Trans am
These are the facts:

Drivetrain differences:
Base Formulas have the same exact drive train as base Trans am's. period. 100% identical from the air filter to the exhaust tips. Same motor and same tranny options, both manual and auto in each year they were made.

Body/exterior differences:
Trans am=Foglights(biggest give away), Side skirts, Rear bumper with exhaust "ports", and the high rise spoier.
Formula=essentially looks like a V6 car. No sideskirts, low rise spoiler, or big circle foglights.

All 4th gen V8 birds (Formula or Trans am) had identical hoods each year, unless it was a ram air optioned car (WS6 package, Firehawk, COMP T/A)

WS6/Ram air hoods:
The WS6 package is offered on BOTH Trans ams AND Formulas. It is not a Trans am only option and is not a standard option on the Trans ams.

Interior Options:
All options on Trans Ams were available on Formulas as well, they just didnt come standard on the Formula like they did the Trans am (leather seats, electric seats, t tops ect.)

VIN/Title differences:
VIN numbers on V8 4th gen Firebirds (Formulas and Trans ams) did not indicate whether it was a Trans Am or a Formula specifically, just that it was a V8 car. The only way you can tell is by looking through the RPO codes. Most titles say something like "Firebird Formula Trans Am" because the VIN is not trim specific.

WS6, WS7, WS9

WS6=An oem option package for all 96-02 V8 Firebirds (both formula and trans am) that included a funcitonal ram air hood, 17 inch rims, unique exhaust tips, bigger front sway bar, a ws6 badge, and a power steering cooler.

WS7=A non factory package, usually the name for a car that came out of the factory without the ws6 ram air package, and a ram air hood was added to it.

WS9=this is actually the RPO code that specifies that a car is a Formula and not a trans am. So all 4th gen formulas are WS9 cars, thus why I have a ws9 badge on the back of my car Some companies also make an aftermarket ram air hood called a "ws9 hood." It has nothing to do with the oem RPO code, just a name. Some people put ws9 badges on their car if they have this hood.

Some exceptions to the rules:
While 93 Trans am's came loaded, the '94 Trans am did not come standard with T-tops and had the low rise spoiler standard. To get t-tops, 155mph speedo, the highrise spoiler, and z rated tires, you needed the Trans am GT package. These were the only years the "GT" package was an option.

93-94 Formulas came with Z rated tires, 155mph speedo standard, and t-tops/leather were optional, no "GT" package or equivilant for the 93-94 formulas to get the performance stuff.
Great info here. Just one descrepancy to note (in bold):

The WS6/Ram Air Handling Package was only available on the Firebird Formula up until 2000. In model years 2001 and 2002, if you wanted a WS6, it was available only if you purchased a Firebird Trans Am.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

98-02 Formula Firehawk ftw

Love my T-tops, hate my leather. ill never get a t-top/convert car with leather ever again. nothing cooler than back sweat!

i dont hate the formy rear hatch but would love to have a TA hatch. anyone wanna swap?

i actually got in an argument with a 5.0 owner who tried to tell me a stock TA is faster than a stock Formula!

Last edited by WhiteHawk489; 08-09-2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: i cant spell
Old 08-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk489
98-02 Fomula Firehawk ftw

Love my T-tops, hate my leather. ill never get a t-top/convert car with leather ever again. nothing cooler than back sweat!

i dont hate the formy rear hatch but would love to have a TA hatch. anyone wanna swap?

i actually got in an argument with a 5.0 owner who tried to tell me a stock TA is faster than a stock Formula!
I got in an argument with a guy at work when I showed him 2002 Camaro SS specs and the times were faster than his 2008 G8 GT, he came back with, "You have a z28, it has less HP" It's the same damn engine, the SS has the forced induction hood, but that's it.

You can't really find specs for the Z28, mainly 1/4 mile and 0-60 times.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Great info here. Just one descrepancy to note (in bold):

The WS6/Ram Air Handling Package was only available on the Firebird Formula up until 2000. In model years 2001 and 2002, if you wanted a WS6, it was available only if you purchased a Firebird Trans Am.
Wow really? why?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bj350hp
Wow really? why?
Good question, man. Wish I had a definitive answer for ya, but all I can do is speculate...

My guess is because the end was nearing, they wanted to save all the available parts that made up the Ram Air Handling Package for the more popular Firebird Trans Am WS6 rather than using them on a couple hundred Firebird Formulas.

If someone else has a better or more accurate answer to this question, I'd love to know why, as well.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk489
98-02 Formula Firehawk ftw
I've wished I had a Firehawk hood since the year I bought my car -- 2002. But then there are days I'd rather have a WS6 hood. And even more mind boggling are the days I'm glad I still have the plain-jane OEM hood.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with Formulas?