Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jrod- what mechanics school are you going to? Better be SAM and not UTI Wyotech or Lincoln tech! Or something thats attached to a REAL college where you get REAL Credits and a REAL Degree.. James an I both went to Lincoln there in Indy, and I have plenty of friends who went to UTI or Wyotech- Its all the same high priced worthless ****....
Old 07-14-2011, 11:33 PM
10 Second Club

I agree with Jeff. I went to Lincoln Tech and hated it. Ended up just working in the field and have learned FAR more by doing it all hands on. It's all just nuts and bolts, and you have to use your head and think about what it's gonna take to get stuff apart and back together, other than that it's not too bad. Driveability is a PITA, but if you master that and electrical, you'll make BIG money! Just a helpful tip buddy!

Jeff, I would love to move to Texas, but I recently bought a house, and the lack of Job's would make it hard to do so. But I am always willing to help if you need anything man!

And Jrod, lmk when your gonna be in Indy. If I have the car done, I'll let you check it out man! I'll take you for a ride in it if you want to as well. But it'll prolly be Winter before it's done the way things are going right now.
We'll see what happens. Just stay tuned man!

And I love the WSQ hood too. I got the 1st public released hood too. Whoo Hoo. lol
I just haven't had the time to get everything done so I can get it to the body shop for paint, but it will hopefully be soon.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well James you got till late 2013 haha. I plan to be married by then so who knows how that will turn out :/

I don't know when I'm going to be able to finish the 2JZ-GTE engine swap into the Lexus either.. That build got expensive QUICK $6000 into it and still have about $2500 more to spend + Tuning at Titan Motorsports in Orlando or this place up in Dallas depending on where I finish it at...
Old 07-16-2011, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Oh Believe me man, Builds get EXPENSIVE... VERY QUICK when done right!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haven't heard of SAM, was gonna do UTI but by your testimonial may start rethinking it. I was thinking about one here at a community college, but why go throu all the other core classes when I don't have to was my opinion? Haven't looked into it much though so I'm not sure eactly how it would go... Was down for the idea of job placement. I know a guy around here that graduated from a Tech school, year later hasn't found anything. Working at a fast food restaraunt with a degree in mechanics

Probably the earliest I'd be able to get out that way would be Christmas, I was just up there in.... January? I go once or twice a year, used to be more when I was a kid but now that I pay for everything myself haha.

But definitely keep this updated, I'll be following for sure. Can't beat that picture of 2 TAs in 1 garage It's cool to see one going through the changes as it's pretty much the same direction I'll be going.. Eventually
Old 07-17-2011, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JrodCamaro
Haven't heard of SAM, was gonna do UTI but by your testimonial may start rethinking it. I was thinking about one here at a community college, but why go throu all the other core classes when I don't have to was my opinion? Haven't looked into it much though so I'm not sure eactly how it would go... Was down for the idea of job placement. I know a guy around here that graduated from a Tech school, year later hasn't found anything. Working at a fast food restaraunt with a degree in mechanics

Probably the earliest I'd be able to get out that way would be Christmas, I was just up there in.... January? I go once or twice a year, used to be more when I was a kid but now that I pay for everything myself haha.

But definitely keep this updated, I'll be following for sure. Can't beat that picture of 2 TAs in 1 garage It's cool to see one going through the changes as it's pretty much the same direction I'll be going.. Eventually
Jrod- SAM is School of Automotive Machinists, in Houston Tx. I really reccomend you check them out if you ONLY want the automotive/engine knowledge. Its probably similar to the commercial schools but I believe its way more in depth with engine building, machining,and learning all about the characteristics of all that +tuning the setups.

I was just like you when I graduated high school "why take the core classes if I don't need them?". I'll tell you why, because those core classes and the actual associates degree you get in ANYTHING at the community /Jr College will actually transfer credit to a larger or different college should you want to continue your education. I have the fake "associates degree in business management" that UTI, LTI, Wyotech etc all advertise, but its horse ****. Their little "degree" isn't worth anything, and none of the "credits" you make will transfer anywhere for you to further your education. So, after I spent $27,000 at LTI, I figure out that if I want to go to school again for a bachelors I have to start all over from step 1 as a "freshman" in college..

So, here I am, stuck deciding what I want to do after I finish my Army contract. Pretty much don't want to start back at ground zero as a lube tech in the auto field, and not really sure if it will be worth my time to go through 5-6 years of college at my age (i'll be 26 when I get out of the army). So I'll probably just settle for doing side jobs on cars when I can as well as having a job in some form of law enforcement like a lot of former military, starting pay is 40-70,000 a year, depending where you go. To me, thats a ton better than I was making before the Army, and even while I've been IN the Army. Eventually, hopefully, I'll be able to afford my own shop and start that up. I've already got an online performance parts business I'm trying to get going..

Do you, and your future a favor, go through at least a junior college with real classes and real credits that will go places. Then open up as many avenues of income as possible while furthering your education. Also, google search the top 10 careers for people with associates degrees. I'll tell you what, Business, and Nursing are some of the top fields in any degree. My ex fiance (James, you remember Bri) was making 55,000 6 months out of college there in Indy at 20 years old..

Jeff
Old 07-17-2011, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Thats all true man, I would listen to Jeff. And yeah I remember Bri. She was doing really well for herself man!
Old 07-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Launching!

holy cow sir......... thats a ton of money/parts in a short time! looks good though
Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks!
Yeah it's alot of money that's for sure.
I'm tapped out right now, so looks like the build will be taking me into this coming winter instead of the end of summer. I've been contemplating on which route to go with this car, Engine wise, But I'm almost ready to say F it and just buy an LS3 Longblock, port the heads, cam it, and spray it into the 10's. Possibly 9's.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by indirocz28
Jrod- SAM is School of Automotive Machinists, in Houston Tx. I really reccomend you check them out if you ONLY want the automotive/engine knowledge. Its probably similar to the commercial schools but I believe its way more in depth with engine building, machining,and learning all about the characteristics of all that +tuning the setups.

I was just like you when I graduated high school "why take the core classes if I don't need them?". I'll tell you why, because those core classes and the actual associates degree you get in ANYTHING at the community /Jr College will actually transfer credit to a larger or different college should you want to continue your education. I have the fake "associates degree in business management" that UTI, LTI, Wyotech etc all advertise, but its horse ****. Their little "degree" isn't worth anything, and none of the "credits" you make will transfer anywhere for you to further your education. So, after I spent $27,000 at LTI, I figure out that if I want to go to school again for a bachelors I have to start all over from step 1 as a "freshman" in college..

So, here I am, stuck deciding what I want to do after I finish my Army contract. Pretty much don't want to start back at ground zero as a lube tech in the auto field, and not really sure if it will be worth my time to go through 5-6 years of college at my age (i'll be 26 when I get out of the army). So I'll probably just settle for doing side jobs on cars when I can as well as having a job in some form of law enforcement like a lot of former military, starting pay is 40-70,000 a year, depending where you go. To me, thats a ton better than I was making before the Army, and even while I've been IN the Army. Eventually, hopefully, I'll be able to afford my own shop and start that up. I've already got an online performance parts business I'm trying to get going..

Do you, and your future a favor, go through at least a junior college with real classes and real credits that will go places. Then open up as many avenues of income as possible while furthering your education. Also, google search the top 10 careers for people with associates degrees. I'll tell you what, Business, and Nursing are some of the top fields in any degree. My ex fiance (James, you remember Bri) was making 55,000 6 months out of college there in Indy at 20 years old..

Jeff
Never met you but man do you seem like a cool guy. Army was my dream since I was 14, but at 16 I was in a pretty serious car wreck and am not able to anymore. Was going to do MP, and when out become a local law enforcement officer (my grandpa was a sherriff for 37 years, where I get my passion and respect for the profession) I've still been looking into it as a possibility. But one thing I wouldn't mind doing would be motor pool. That's where my grandpa worked a majority of the time.

Grown up around cars, unfortunately a father that never knew how to teach very well. Learning on my own the best I can. At 22 I've decided I need to get on this and get my **** together and stop screwing around. Your view on the credits and being able to use them for real purposes makes perfect sense. I will definitely look into SAM. By the description it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, not just how to repair but do custom work and building. Tuning would be big to me, always wondered exactly how that worked.

Thanks alot for your help, information, and advice Jeff

Jared
Old 07-20-2011, 04:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

uhh can we get back on topic here lol.. Project Jet Li woooo!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

it's already sick for sure..
Old 07-20-2011, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

^^^ lol, Thanks guys!

I've been working alot still, and don't have any spare time to do anything, so no more updates. But I will for sure post more pics as I get to work on it here and there. I'm hoping within the next week to address the fuel pump and hotwire kit, as well as undercoating the chassis before I go any further.... I'll post back with an update soon!

-James
Old 07-28-2011, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

you better get cracking on that bird, the shoot out is coming up quick....
I hope you get her going soon man... I cant wait to come down from Lafayette to take a ride to suds with ya
Old 07-28-2011, 02:38 AM
9 Second Club

Great build.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Well, Just as an update... I recieved the call today that my Engine is Done (well just the shortblock is done) I'm soooo freakin excited right now! lol

Next on my list is to order my cylinder heads! Can't Wait!

I'll post up some pics when I get them!
Prolly won't be til next week sometime!

-James
Old 09-13-2011, 11:07 PM
10 Second Club

Here's a few teaser pics of my new LS3 Shortblock...

Old 10-20-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

updates!!!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:16 PM
9 Second Club

Nice!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

Come on James get some updates, I know you keep everything super secret

Quick Reply: PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)