Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya Matt your right, nothing like knowing someone who has the experiance with something your building, I think it can be a bit much sometimes, but it is cool seeing others build stuff and you were involved, kind of like it was almost your own car. I am just sitting back and listening, ready to collect the right parts to get building on mine. Cool stuff this LS land.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by matt01ws6
Nice pewter ws6 buddy. james is the lsx brains, i think he knows more than GM about them lol
Thanks Matt.

We need to get you back into another LSx of your own now.
Even tho the gf's Z28 is nice... You gotta have your own.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

Well I got off work around 4:00 today, I Hit up the junkyard, and I had everything I needed by 6:00 to finish my A4 swap.
Overall, It was a magnificent Monday.

Not to mention, I couldn't resist putting the pedals in and mocking up the shifter assembly. (Note: This is a spare shifter, not the 1 thats gonna be used in my car. I just bought this 1 to have on hand, so it's very dirty and needs to be cleaned and lubed as well.) But for $20, I couldn't pass it up. Only thing wrong with this is the white plastic rod that goes down inside the shifter arm, is broken at the top. Just gotta grab 1 of those from another junkyard now.

Anyways, Heres some pictures of the "Automatic Transmission" Style Pedals in my car now!

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-a4-swap.jpg

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-a4-swap-1.jpg

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-a4-swap-2.jpg

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-a4-swap-3.jpg

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-a4-swap-4.jpg

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-a4-swap-5.jpg

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-a4-swap-6.jpg

I also never showed in detail how the Plastic goes in between the cage and the body. It wouldn't fit... So I cut it along the foot rest and put it in there in 2 pieces. Doesn't look too bad I guess. But it's the only way I could see to make it work.

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-a4-swap-7.jpg

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-a4-swap-8.jpg

Last picture is of the hole in my firewall for the slave cylinder.
I didn't wanna hack the car up or drill any more holes. So I utilized the pre-existing holes for the slave, Made a piece to cover the hole, drilled holes in the piece of metal, and then used sealer and some sticky black tar like weather-stripping stuff to seal it from the engine bay.
Then instead of having bolts hold it together, I used push-pin style plastic pieces to hold the piece in place so that it would be Very easy to remove if I ever needed to take it out for some reason.
Well here's the pic of the Patch Job I did.

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-a4-swap-9.jpg
Old 11-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Lol yea I kno I need another one bad. I still got the gmc it's a super heavy and slow LSX I think I'm gonna finish my Chevelle first tho for my dad. I'm leaning towards a 6 speed formula ws6 that's a solid roof. Pewter of course ;p
Old 11-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

And on my Gf z28 I'm getting a 5.3L in a few weeks hoping it's still good it's free so either way I'm not to worried but I'd like to possibly boost it
Old 11-08-2011, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds like a plan brotha. On both cars. The Gf's and your Chevelle.

And oh don't even get me started on the hard top formula's. I LOVE THEM!
Gotta be Black tho. I love Black Formula's. And Trans Am's Can You Tell!

BTW, I got some more work done on the TA today.
I mounted the shifter in the car for good, ran the shifter cable through the floor, and even put the 6 speed console back in the car. It took alot of playing with to get the automatic shifter to work with a 6 speed console, but I managed to make it work. But the shifter is Very close to the HVAC controls. I have JUST ENOUGH room to fit my hand all the way around the shifter without hitting the HVAC Controls.

Gonna finish the brake lines up on it tomorrow. I haven't ran any new brake lines in the rear yet. My last car was a 3 channel setup, and this car is a 4 channel setup, so I need to run new lines to the rear brakes.
**I hate messing with brake lines.
It's hard to bend them up to where they actually look good...
Old 11-09-2011, 07:45 PM
10 Second Club

Heres the progress of the Shifter install into the car. All while reataining the factory 6 speed console and shift boot.
*The shifter T Handle is getting replaced considering it is not in the greatest shape! It'll get a Very nice one in it's place.

Heres the pics from last night!

In the 1st picture, Theres actually 4 L Brackets there. "They are stacked on top of each other", and theres 1 bolt holding the 4 pieces to the chassis. I was concerned with how sturdy it was gonna be, But that's all I could find in the garage. But after putting it together, I was satisfied with it's durability. If you notice, the brackets actually Lay on the chassis, It actually creates a Very sturdy Support for the Shifter and the brackets. Along with the 2 Long bolts holding the front section of the shifter to the floor, The shifter does NOT wanna budge. I Literally "Yanked" the shi+ out of it - side to side and front to back, and it didn't even try to budge.

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-auto-3.jpg

Here is a hole I cut into the floor for the shift cable, And I put a grommet in there to keep the cable from getting cut into by the cut metal.

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-auto-4.jpg

Theres no Binding whatsoever...

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-auto-5.jpg

Here are some pics of the front being bolted to the floor. I used those pieces to create some support there, and ran a bolt through them with washers on each side of the shifter and the floor.

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-auto-9.jpg

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-auto-10.jpg

And the shifter cable going through the floor pan.

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-auto-7.jpg

Here is a pic of how close it is when it's in Park. This was the only way I could make the Auto shifter work with the 6 speed console. Otherwise, The shifter wouldn't pull down past 3rd gear. I moved the shifter as far forward as possible and it finally will go all the way down into 1st gear and still go up into Park. My only other option, If this didn't work was to install a B&M Shifter in the car, and then it would've been fine. But I wanted the "STOCK" look.

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-auto-12.jpg

Here is the shifter all the way down in 1st gear...

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-auto-18.jpg

And back in Park...

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-auto-2.jpg

And an overview of the whole Auto Swap Completed! Everything from the Console, to the Shifter, and down to the Gas and Brake Pedals.

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-auto-1.jpg

I'll update again as soon as I get more done on the car. It was pretty cold out tonight when I got home, so I chose to just relax and not work on the car. But I'll get the brake lines finished soon, and post pics of some other stuff!

-James
Old 11-12-2011, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

Got a few more pics of the Under-side of the Shifter Plate I installed in place of the Hole for the 6 Speed. (I reused the mounting holes for the Rubber 6 Speed Boot) Just used a little bit bigger Bolts instead of the Small factory screws!
I also used RTV "ALL OVER" the plate and the hole to keep it sealed from any moisture that could possibly get into the car. And, This will all be covered with POR 15 or Undercoating anyways.

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-ta-auto-swap.jpg

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-ta-auto-swap-1.jpg

Under hood shot, with the hood closed! IDK Why I took a picture.

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-ta-hood-closed.jpg

Trans Tunnel Shot, Before the Undercoating goes on...

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-ta-trans-tunnel.jpg

Heres some pictures of the Brake Line Install I did in the rear of the car. What A PITA too BTW! I ran around town all day looking for the fittings and etc. that I needed to install everything without cutting lines and flaring the ends.
*I hate doing that stuff!

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-brake-line-1.jpg

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-brake-line-2.jpg

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-brake-line-3.jpg

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-brake-line-4.jpg

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-brake-line-5.jpg

** I got too long of a Line on this side, I'm gonna grab 1 thats just a little shorter next time I get around to it, and change it out so it doesn't look like crap everytime I look under there. ** It's just me being picky!

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-brake-line-6.jpg
Old 11-12-2011, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Drivers side Brake line was just a bit too small, but It fit just close enough to still fit in the bracket on the reaend. Although it's not bent how i wanted it to be.

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-brake-line-7.jpg

Found an Adapter for the ABS Block, This Prevented me from cutting the line and changing the fittings and then flaring the line back together...

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-brake-line-9.jpg

I didn't like the look of the fitting, so for now, It's getting covered until I can figure something else out..

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-brake-line-8.jpg

Found another fitting for the Master Cylinder, Ran a smaller diameter line from the M/C to the Proportioning Valve, and from the Proportioning Valve to the ABS Block with the other fitting...

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-brake-line-10.jpg

Took a few pics with the hood closed to check for clearance... I had plenty!

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-brake-line-11.jpg

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-brake-line-12.jpg

AND, The finished product. Not the prettiest IMHO, But It sure beats the hell out of Cutting a ton of Brake lines, and then having to flare everything all over again. I will be the first person to admit, I hate it... And I suck at it. But i can do it, and keep them from leaking. So I guess that's still a Good thing. lol

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-brake-line-13.jpg

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-brake-line-14.jpg

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-brake-line-15.jpg
Old 11-12-2011, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

And heres the last pic of the Brake Lines, Proportioning Valve, And Line Lock Kit that I installed today.

**The Line Lock was a friends of mine, who lost his life due to a car falling on top of him while installing his transmission. (RIP PurdueRanger)
So I def. wanted to install this kit over a different 1.
**It's the least I can do to make him a part of my car build.

I also decided to place the Proportioning Valve right next to it, b/c I figured it was easy to get to if I needed to replace it for any reason. And also, I kinda liked how all the lines went over there on the drivers side. It added some Extra Attention to the engine bay I think.

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-brake-line-16.jpg

I'll add some more pics of my progress with the car soon.
I'm just not quite sure what I wanna tackle on it next...

~ Stay Tuned!!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is the size of the stock brake lines? im about to build a abs delete kit.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

3/16" and 1/4" are the factory sizes.
But they use some wierd fittings. You can always cut the lines if you have to, and just reuse the fittings you need though, and then double flare everything and put it all back together!
Old 01-06-2012, 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

Few more pics...
I won't be doing much else to this car for a while. I'm to the point now, that an engine and trans install is my next step!

Here's a few pictures of the Clear bird. before I paint it with clear coat/Black mixed. Trying to SMOKE it out and I plan to use an LED strip at the top to illuminate my new front plate this year. It'll say LSX on the front and that's it. But it won't be seen until night time hopefully! Or if you look close during the day!

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-lsx.jpg

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-lsx-ftw.jpg

Another pic of the rearend setup!

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-mwc-fab-9.jpg

Bringing the car back from MWC. All I could get was a dolly. lol But hey it worked great!

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-my-caged-beast.jpg

And I just thought this was cool, so I posted it. lol

PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)-trans-am.jpg
Old 01-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Teching In

looking awesome!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks Man!
I ended up finishing everything I could while it was warm.
And now it's just sitting in the garage. lol

I am actually in the process of grabbing another 99 TA roller for the GF. So I will have another build going on very soon! Can't Wait.

This car will be done this summer for sure, and so will the GF's.

*** Just Hoping everything falls in place like it has been so far!

-James
Old 01-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Teching In

awesome build, can't wait to see it finished.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

^^Thank You! Me Either.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Do you have any pictures of how you mounted the sensors back on the pedals, especially from going from a manual. A good explanantion of that and the wiring would be really, really helpful, as I am doing this now, lol.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

The wiring I have not done yet, BUT.
I do know there are a few ways of doing it.

I'm planning on running all of the wires back up to the shifter, and wire them into the factory neutral saftey switch on the side of the shifter.

I know the Brake light switch and Cruise Control Interupt switch will fit the factory A4 pedal assembly. But the Nuetral Safety Switch for an M6, does not. It's wired into the NSS on the right side of the Auto Shifter Assembly.

As far as the neutral saftey switch goes, on the M6 Pedals, you can do 1 of 2 things. Extend the wires and run them to the neutral safety switch, Wire them together so it will start at all times, put it on a toggle, or just mount it somewhere so you can press the button down when starting the car (Kinda like a override switch on an alarm system) Theres other wires you'll need to hook up for the reverse lights to work as well. Again, wire them into the NSS or on a toggle. Or just leave them, and they won't work. Theres also wires for the hatch release to work as well. Again, wire them on a toggle, or together and they'll allow the hatch to work at anytime.

I'll see if I can find the info I was using to do mine, and I'll get back with you.

-James
Old 01-12-2012, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

Badass, you gotta be happier than a 5 year old at christmas!!

Quick Reply: PROJECT "UNLEASHED" (My 99' Trans Am)