Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Looking at getting a ta... few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at getting a ta... few questions.

I've really been getting the bug for one in the 1998-2002 year range and just had a few questions. Is there really much of a difference between those years? Also is there much of a difference in mpg between ws6 and just the trans am? I realize there not gonna get great but in the summer I would like to drive it a lot and wanna get decent when babying it... like 24mpg or better. I'm planning on getting an auto unless I can get a good deal on a manual. thanks for any help.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:31 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

#1. As the saying goes, an LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1. Generally, the 5 years are the same. HOWEVER, supposedly the 98's and 99's and I think the 00's have a slightly larger camshaft than the 01 and 02's, but the later years have the LS6 intakes, no EGR, and some other details so most will say the later years are slightly more desirable. There are other minor differences but I can't remember them right now. If I'm wrong or missing information someone please correct me.

#2. I would imagine you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in mileage with the WS6 and the regular T/A-the only considerable differences are the hood and the wheels on the WS6, which are larger and would obviously get slightly worse mileage.

#3. You'll get great mileage in either car, any year, as long as the car is in proper order. Some guys here claim to get high 20's all day long WITH 'mods.

#4. Do what you can to find an M6 car; I lost patience, got an automatic and now I want to set myself on fire. Only buy an automatic if you truly want one...
Old 11-04-2011, 07:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

No mileage difference between the two. It is the same engine. You won't get 24+mpg unless you baby it (like you said) or drive 75% highway miles. I just got 25 mpg on a long highway trek in my automatic '01 T/A convertible. The main thing when purchasing one of these LS1 cars (I don't care if it is a '98 or '02) is to look for a 'stock' well cared for example. Then you can keep it that way or mod it yourself. Generally the lower the mileage, the better, but it all comes down to maintenance. Look for a documented maintenance history, especially the fluid changes. This applies to all the LS1 years. You find that middle aged or older guy that drove his 'pet' around on weekends and you will be quite happy buying his car. Buying a heavily modded example from a teenager will buy you trouble 9 times out of 10. Be smart and read all the incredible posts on here about ownership experiences. I've owned F-bodies from July '96 (when I bought a new Formula) until now. Love'em!
** Also go to the "What's It Worth" section to gauge pricing and trends when buying. It is a buyer's market right now. Good luck with your search and don't be afraid to travel to get your car. Don't make the common mistake of buying local and 'settling' for something. A few hundred dollars in motels, gas, and fast food is chump change when making such an important purchase.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by myk

#4. Do what you can to find an M6 car; I lost patience, got an automatic and now I want to set myself on fire. Only buy an automatic if you truly want one...
If you want to race the car get an AUTO, the sticks in these cars SUCK, I almost wish I had gotten an auto. I had one a few years ago and wanted a stick in the worst way, until the first time the clutch stayed on the floor when running the car through the gears.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys you've been very helpful... while back I was looking for one and bought a grand prix gxp instead cause I didn't like the way you sit in a ta. I like the gp but I still want a ta, I can remember my buddies 99 I loved that car.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Teching In

I like my t/a a lot the only thing that made me want a camaro instead was that my headlight motors went out twice in a month luckily I had warranty on em but other than that it's a great car
Old 11-05-2011, 03:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gs462
If you want to race the car get an AUTO, the sticks in these cars SUCK, I almost wish I had gotten an auto. I had one a few years ago and wanted a stick in the worst way, until the first time the clutch stayed on the floor when running the car through the gears.
it doesnt suck you need to learn to upgrade hydraulics and it will treat you just fine.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:31 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

When you have the time, check out the sticky in the Newbie forum. It runs through all the years and the major/minor differences between them.

Scott
Old 11-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Banned

If you get an auto like i did stall it and put in a shift kit. And the 98,99,and00 dont have a bigger cam. The 01, and 02 have the ls6 intake also some 02 come woth a ls6 block like mine did thays about the only diff o and the rims if you get a ws6 on 02 the rims are diff. They only jad them that year. The rear end posi is diff in 01 and 02. 01 and 02 only have air. It take 30 min to delete it and is well worth it.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blackls1ta00
it doesnt suck you need to learn to upgrade hydraulics and it will treat you just fine.
Shouldn't have to pay to upgrade a factory system, I know that I will and thats why I say it sucks.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gs462
Shouldn't have to pay to upgrade a factory system, I know that I will and thats why I say it sucks.
Lol then why are half our cars modded the way they are if we shouldn't have to upgrade factory systems?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
Lol then why are half our cars modded the way they are if we shouldn't have to upgrade factory systems?
Thats by choice, not necessity. When you buy other cars do u have to upgrade their clutch system??
Old 11-05-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

I don't know. i have never looked into it.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by myk
#1. As the saying goes, an LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1. Generally, the 5 years are the same. HOWEVER, supposedly the 98's and 99's and I think the 00's have a slightly larger camshaft than the 01 and 02's, but the later years have the LS6 intakes, no EGR, and some other details so most will say the later years are slightly more desirable. There are other minor differences but I can't remember them right now. If I'm wrong or missing information someone please correct me.

#2. I would imagine you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in mileage with the WS6 and the regular T/A-the only considerable differences are the hood and the wheels on the WS6, which are larger and would obviously get slightly worse mileage.

#3. You'll get great mileage in either car, any year, as long as the car is in proper order. Some guys here claim to get high 20's all day long WITH 'mods.

this has nothing to do with the post.
but dude,
your signature is epic ;D

Quick Reply: Looking at getting a ta... few questions.