Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Voltage output drops to 8v occassionally

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage output drops to 8v occassionally

I'm new to the forum but have read many other posts. Great Forum!

I've had the following problem for 6 months or so..............
I have a 98 firebird V6. My voltage gauge reads the altenator output at the usual 14v range most of the time. However, at least once per vehicle outing the voltage output will drop to 8 to 13v range for a second or two, then jump back to 14v range.

I've noticed it does this when the vehicle slows and I make a turn.... as if the slow rpms and power steering kick in and the altenator can't keep up????
Also, when i first start the car the headlights/instruments lights have a fast pulsation with them.

I've checked the altenator and battery output and they are normal. I even replaced the altenator, but still have the same problem. I've changed the serpentine belt....... All my battery/altenator connnections are clean and tight. The small wire connecting to the altenator had a "nick" in it, so I've sealed and wrapped it in electrical tape.

I don't know where to go from here. I also suspect the pulsation and voltage drop is related.

ANY IDEAS out there????? thanx Eddie
Old 06-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Launching!

I had a similar issue, for me it turned out that the voltage regulator was bad. I'd pull the alternator off your car and take it somewhere to be tested to make sure.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 AM

thanx for the response.

the alternator is new (not rebuit) and I'm assuming the voltage regulator in it is new too. i've had it tested on the car and the readings appear fine. Of course that's at idle and usually the issue is while driving. Any other thoughts?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

are you battery connections good , i had bad connections on mine replaced the ends and all good .

Quick Reply: Voltage output drops to 8v occassionally