Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

4" dual exhaust on 98' WS6

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments everyone. I've been curious to the response on the F body crowd towards it. Ground clearance is right around 4" from ground up to bottom of pipes. I ended up lowering the car with BMR sport springs. In retrospect I should have just gone with coilovers so I could set ride height but we were looking at a bolt in deal originally even tho customer has spent roughly 10K in suspension upgrades.
Don't have it fired up yet, probably in another week or two I'm hoping. Just finished plumbing the fuel system to support 2000hp. The rearend is also good to support 2000hp. Moser M9, 35spline axles, 3:73 gear. Right now I'm in the process of plumbing new stainless hard brake lines/hoses. Once I get it fired up its off to the dyno to see improvements over the single 3" exhaust. Also in the process of swapping camshaft, lifters, Jesel shaftmount rockers, titanium valvesprings next and then retune& dyno again. Should see some significant improvements with new valvetrain as the current comp cam is the wrong cam for these heads - was designed for cathedral port heads & these are rectangle port. They like 10-12* more duration favored on the exh. side. I'll have vids ready once I get it fired up. Alot of people including myself are anxious to hear this exhaust setup. I'm sure it'll setoff a few car alarms going down the street - LOL!!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Teching In

looks like alot of work!! very good quality tho man! im very impressed..only thing i would of done differently is put an x-pipe in that setup, would of made it sound 10x better in my op!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Broke98z28
looks like alot of work!! very good quality tho man! im very impressed..only thing i would of done differently is put an x-pipe in that setup, would of made it sound 10x better in my op!
Thank you - I wanted to do an X pipe as I'm a firm believer in them, however there wasn't any room to put one in as the torque arm is in the way as well as the radius of the oval tubing was too great for me to build one. Trust me - I tried! Thats some big oval at almost 5" wide. I was only able to install the balance pipe just behind the trans/torque arm mount. That was the only available space I had. Figured it was better than nothing. Even at that placement you don't have access to the lower two setting of suspension geometry on the torque arm mount bracket - tho when I was setting everything up at ride height I couldn't see those two lower setting ever being used as then the arm would be pointing downwards - thus unloading the suspension from "hookin up".
Old 09-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Just letting everyone know we custom build headers also. My pop that started the company back in the early 70's has close to 50 years of experience building headers. He's a professer on it. Specialized in stepped tubes - he knows exactly how long the length total, collector and where to place the step to tune the header to your powerband and maximize your engine powerband.

Here's a set of 1&3/4" - 1&7/8" fenderwell style for a 66' chevy II nova w/. a pretty healthy 406c.i.
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/...ps21088698.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/...psb92ca904.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/...psc18c09b0.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/...ps961f129a.jpg

b.t.w - We do not use a "header kit" like alot of other so called header builders. All flanges are either 3/8" -7/16" thick laser cut to my design. We specialize in stainless also.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Banned

Looks good.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, that is some nice fabrication you did to the exhaust. I also will be waiting to hear some exhaust clips
Old 10-08-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Gotta be well over $1k exhaust system, not including the headers? Correct?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

That is one sweet setup. Would like to see pics of it on the car or even a video. Got to be the best looking and most unique looking exhaust IMO. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

in for sound!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

I'd hate to pay that labor tab.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got me tuned in
Old 10-12-2012, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Me too! I look at builds like that, and wish I could just drop my car off, and when I got it back it was a 1000hp perfect machine.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOVE the side outlet.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

Hey thanks everyone for the compliments! Yes it is extremely labor intensive and yes it was financially expensive (factor in labor + material cost.) What you have to realize however is when you get into this horsepower level it doesn't come cheap. I finally got it fired up last nite, unfortunately I have a fuel leak going on under the intake at the Y- fitting (-10 in splitting to -8 to fuel rails.) I have to remove the intake this morning to service it. I'll have video up soon. Tryin to get it to alignment shop yet today and hopefully dyno'd again tomorrow. The exhaust suprisingly isn't that loud at idle. I was quite surprised at how quiet it is, although I have yet to romp on it due to the fuel leak. With the tubing being so large it has a bassier/deeper exhaust note than previous (single 3" into magnaflow exiting w/. dual 2.5") Can't wait to get it fixed, moved outside, driven & dyno'd. Stay tuned folks!!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

So I was able to get it the fuel leak fixed, off to the alignment shop and dyno this past friday. It's been a hectic week! Gotta alittle bit more detailing to perform today and then I debut it to the customer tonight. Heres a few more pix of the completed exhaust underneath the car before it went to dyno from fri. I did film a couple short videos which I'll get around to uploading to youtube. However the videos do not really give a true representation of how awsome & loud the exhaust sounds. I took it to the local cruise-in car nite last fri. and it drew a fair amount of people coming up to it which was suprising as the majority of the cars that show up to these cruise nights are older classic muscle cars & street rods. Normally people wouldn't give this car a second look. People thought I had a bigblock under the hood.
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/...ps84aee1cf.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/...pse47ab6ef.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/...ps350281a0.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8c234cce.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/...ps350281a0.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2c2f4bfa.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5f1e7c54.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3d3661ab.jpg
Old 10-21-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Question

Different, I'll give you that but I have 2 questions:
  • Why wasnt the "whatever brand", that heat foil product is, put on the inside of the car?
  • Is their no concern that the exhaust tips will melt the plastic side skirts on both sides?
Other than that killer setup!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Different, I'll give you that but I have 2 questions:
  • Why wasnt the "whatever brand", that heat foil product is, put on the inside of the car?
  • Is their no concern that the exhaust tips will melt the plastic side skirts on both sides?
Other than that killer setup!
The thermo foil is from DEI Engineering - it's good to around 1,400*F. The pipes were coated with a thermo barrier from Pro Coat in Tampa. There supposedly good to 2,200*F. There is also heat barrier/ sound dampner on the inboard side as well. Reason for it on the bottom is the exhaust is only about 3/16"-1/4" clearance from bottom of floor pan. Didn't want it melting the undercoating. Trying to provided maximum amount of heat barrier protection. Plus it was way easier to install as opposed to me fabbing up a heat sheild over the exhaust. If you look at majority of all the new cars produced today they all have a aluminized heat barrier of sorts between the exhaust & floor pan. I took a temp reading at various spots along the exhaust. By the time it get to the tip it isn't that hot. I suppose we'll find out if the side skirts will hold up. The seven blasts at full throttle on the dyno didn't hurt it as of yet, however when the twin turbo setup goes on it may be a different story....

Thanks for the complement!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Suncoast Rod Shop
The thermo foil is from DEI Engineering - it's good to around 1,400*F. The pipes were coated with a thermo barrier from Pro Coat in Tampa. There supposedly good to 2,200*F. There is also heat barrier/ sound dampner on the inboard side as well. Reason for it on the bottom is the exhaust is only about 3/16"-1/4" clearance from bottom of floor pan. Didn't want it melting the undercoating. Trying to provided maximum amount of heat barrier protection. Plus it was way easier to install as opposed to me fabbing up a heat sheild over the exhaust. If you look at majority of all the new cars produced today they all have a aluminized heat barrier of sorts between the exhaust & floor pan. I took a temp reading at various spots along the exhaust. By the time it get to the tip it isn't that hot. I suppose we'll find out if the side skirts will hold up. The seven blasts at full throttle on the dyno didn't hurt it as of yet, however when the twin turbo setup goes on it may be a different story....

Thanks for the complement!
Gotcha on the DEI foil, they make good stuff! Maybe some Small strips on the underside of those skirts just as a precaution...? Food for thought, keep up the good work.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is insane-------ly cool.

Quick Reply: 4" dual exhaust on 98' WS6