Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Finally in an F-body

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
couldnt help but notice the piller pod, are you basing your oil pressure readings off an aftermarket gauge or the factory?

Define low? At idle my oil pressure is 20-30 and the sender is mounted up top where the old factory one was.

she still looks great and congrats on the 90/90 setup, it will look good with that color of your wheels
Right now my pressure is as follows.

Cold idle: 40psi
Warm idle: ~30psi
Hot idle: ~18psi

I know that the minimum is 6-7 psi, but under 20 is below my comfort level. I have an oil pressure gauge and have been meaning to tap into my OPSU, but haven't had the time or will to take the intake off to tap into it. I want to put a manual gauge on there test it out. I order an oil analysis kit and I'm going to have that done to see if they find any sort of issue.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 352 Likes on 265 Posts

id be curious to see what the aftermarket gauge tells you, I put one on mine in the location of the OE unit and it reads low as well, especially after its fun for a while.

It freaked me out when i finally finished my engine but not as much as not building any pressure at all when i was trying to fire it off for the first time. The builder left the barbell plug out in the rear of the engine but it was delivered with the rear cover on it. So mad as i had to drop the tranny and all to get to it for a 2 minute fix.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oil pressure is sitting where i would like it now. I changed the oil to Royal Purple 5w30 and pressure came right back up. Plug and pan were clean of metal shavings. I have no idea but car seems to be running great for now.

So I'm wanting to do a new exhaust. I have Pacesetter LT's with ORY sitting in my garage that needs to be installed. I've seen TSP True Dual Bullets and thought it sounded pretty sweet. Anyone running that one?
Old 05-20-2015, 03:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tipnitty
Oil pressure is sitting where i would like it now. I changed the oil to Royal Purple 5w30 and pressure came right back up. Plug and pan were clean of metal shavings. I have no idea but car seems to be running great for now.
I've noticed that my PSI gets lower when its time to change the oil. I don't even pay attention to the mileage now. If the PSI gets down to under 30 at idle, I change it and it goes right back to to 35-40 depending on the ambient temperature. If I've been driving the car for an hour or more on a warm day, it'll get down to 35 or so at idle. Anything below 70 degrees outside and it won't drop below 38ish.

In all scenarios though, its 50-60psi when driving at a leisurely pace.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee 487
I've noticed that my PSI gets lower when its time to change the oil. I don't even pay attention to the mileage now. If the PSI gets down to under 30 at idle, I change it and it goes right back to to 35-40 depending on the ambient temperature. If I've been driving the car for an hour or more on a warm day, it'll get down to 35 or so at idle. Anything below 70 degrees outside and it won't drop below 38ish.

In all scenarios though, its 50-60psi when driving at a leisurely pace.
Last oil change might have had 200 miles on it in 3-5 months. And was constantly low. I put 250+ miles on it the weekend after I changed the oil and pressure still looks good to this day. So I'm wondering if I just put some thinner oil in it than usual.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:08 PM
TECH Veteran

So I'm wanting to do a new exhaust. I have Pacesetter LT's with ORY sitting in my garage that needs to be installed. I've seen TSP True Dual Bullets and thought it sounded pretty sweet. Anyone running that one?

A buddy of mine from work had the TSP setup on his car, and at the time I had longtubes ORY and Corsa. Mine was louder, but I think his sounded better the corsa had this high pitched rasp to it. Hard to explain, i ended up switching to B&B again and im much happier its still loud as hell though.

He had a lot of clearance issues though, but he has since gone to a turbo setup

Glad you got your Oil issue resolved
Old 06-05-2015, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Was his car lowered? What sort of clearance issues. It's what I like the most right now but the roads here are less than kind to sports cars. I wouldn't want to tear it up.

Picked up 799 heads for a great price. Will be taking them to get cleaned up some point this summer.

Finally in an F-body-5zwldcm.png
Old 06-07-2015, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

I'll have to reach out to him and ask, I don't think his was lowered, the turn downs right before the axle were pretty low on his
Old 06-26-2015, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The more i use the Chemical Guys Wash & Gloss, the more i like it,

Finally in an F-body-s5rujsz.png
Finally in an F-body-krfnbzm.png
Finally in an F-body-updaies.png
Old 07-01-2015, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Love the wheels!
Old 07-04-2015, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks! I think they are everyone favorite part of my car lol
Old 07-06-2015, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

I think I have said it before, but those wheels really do make your car.

though as a helpful suggestion the exhuast tips could be pulled up to the bumper some, from the pics you posted they seem to point down quite a bit
Old 07-06-2015, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
I think I have said it before, but those wheels really do make your car.

though as a helpful suggestion the exhuast tips could be pulled up to the bumper some, from the pics you posted they seem to point down quite a bit
They absolutely are. The passenger side mount is broken and it hangs low. I'm stuck trying to figure out if I want a new catback when I put the long tube headers on, or if I just want to fix the magnaflow that on there now with new tips. But what's on there now is pretty old and haggard, so I'm leaning towards just a whole new exhaust. I appreciate the compliment as always!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

beautiful car tipnitty
Old 07-06-2015, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
beautiful car tipnitty
Thanks! I think she's come a long ways, but I have a lot left to go.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

They absolutely are. The passenger side mount is broken and it hangs low. I'm stuck trying to figure out if I want a new catback when I put the long tube headers on, or if I just want to fix the magnaflow that on there now with new tips. But what's on there now is pretty old and haggard, so I'm leaning towards just a whole new exhaust. I appreciate the compliment as always!

Ah thats right cause you asked about TSP's true dual setup, my friend that had that setup is coming in saturday to help with some tuning and pick up my old qa1's. I'll ask him about his clearance issues if you are still interested.

Ive done a lot of changes with exhuast, and once you go longtube, especially ORY it can get loud. I hated my Corsa setup with my headers and Y pipe it was so loud and raspy. Ended up going back to B&B triflow's but magnaflow was my second choice as it had a more subdued sound compared to some of the others.

Oddly I always hated borla, but wouldnt trade or replace the one thats on my GTO. Previous owner did that and a set of kooks headers and its gotta a great sound

Quick Reply: Finally in an F-body