Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Finally in an F-body

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013 | 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Took the car for a bath after I replaced the turnsignal housing. After that, I went to the gym and obviously the car was dirty by the time I was finished. Promise the stripes on the parking lot arent from me lol

Finally in an F-body-8tj0faw.jpg
Finally in an F-body-sj3jvpn.jpg
Finally in an F-body-ycunuly.jpg
Finally in an F-body-hby373o.jpg
Finally in an F-body-7oqp4pq.jpg
Old 03-08-2013 | 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Good looking car.
Old 03-09-2013 | 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

The WS6 store sells the front plate filler and Afterthoughts auto sells the fuel rail covers. You can also try ebay.
Old 03-09-2013 | 11:46 AM
Teching In

Looks good!
Old 04-06-2013 | 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Question for you guys. I parked my car in the driveway yesterday and and came out this morning and noticed small oil spots coming from I guess what is called the cross member. Its not in one spot, but a couple small spots on the driveway. It's never leaked oil before and it's just about due for an oil change.

I've seen that these car will leak from the rear main seal, but I don't think the leak is that far back. I think its the oil pressure sending unit. Would that be a proper position for a leak of that sort?
Old 04-06-2013 | 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Upon second look, it's looking to leak after the car is parked and not a constant leak. So my guess is the sending unit.

Anyone correct me on that?
Old 04-06-2013 | 09:04 PM
Pontiacerator
20 Year Member

If you get under it with a good light and shine it up above the oil filter and see oil flow, it's the sender. Beautiful car, btw!
Old 04-06-2013 | 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you sir. The car was parked on the angle driveway, and it showed oil. But when the car is parked on the level street, it doesn't drip a single drop. I'm confused lol
Old 04-07-2013 | 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

why can't i find a good buy like this, looks great!
Old 04-07-2013 | 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jamin
why can't i find a good buy like this, looks great!
Took 4 years of patients and looking. Keep your eyes open and the right one will pop up eventually! Thanks for the complements
Old 04-07-2013 | 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tipnitty
Took 4 years of patients and looking. Keep your eyes open and the right one will pop up eventually! Thanks for the complements
LOL, I hear ya, I had that with my 96 Ws6, thats gonna be the car I should have never sold, but it was to nice, now I want something I can drive to work and not feel guilty about it
Old 05-01-2013 | 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well bad news. I noticed some coolant under the car when I took the car out one day and took the car to the nearest dealership to get the coolant system pressure tested. Got the call back a bit a go and the head gasket is leaking on the back of the driver side. They quoted me $2600 to do the job and take the heads to a machine shop to make sure they are in good shape. I don't know what to do at the moment. I really can't swing that right now.

I know there is a member here that has a lot of experience working on these cars. I might give me a call and see if he can help me out.
Old 05-02-2013 | 11:39 PM
Teching In

congrats on the car man, I saved for a LONG time and finally got a 2000 M6 TA last april. I LOVE my car its been ups and downs this year but were working through it haha. I wish you and the new car nothing but good things!
Old 05-03-2013 | 11:56 AM
Launching!

getting the heads off these cars isnt too much harder than anything else I've seen, and gaskets and studs aren't too expencive. Have you considered doing the work yourself?
Old 05-03-2013 | 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Well bad news. I noticed some coolant under the car when I took the car out one day and took the car to the nearest dealership to get the coolant system pressure tested. Got the call back a bit a go and the head gasket is leaking on the back of the driver side. They quoted me $2600 to do the job and take the heads to a machine shop to make sure they are in good shape. I don't know what to do at the moment. I really can't swing that right now.

I know there is a member here that has a lot of experience working on these cars. I might give me a call and see if he can help me out.
gaskets and head bolts are bout $100 total for factory from NAPA giving the head to the machine shop always a good idea they dont charge to much for checking them here in cali its like $60 and then some priceless hours of bitching about who manged to fit this engine in here and broken knuckles good as new. id also recommend getting the exhaust manifold seal kit comes with the egr seals as well was $35 i think. all other seals should be reusable.
Old 05-03-2013 | 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

oh and almost forgot the oil pressure send unit is behind the intake and really easy to break so take your time getting the intake off or you'll be out another $40-50 for a new one. (yes i broke mine doing this last month)
Old 05-03-2013 | 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Time for a H/C swap
Old 05-03-2013 | 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I only have basic hand tools with me here at school and no garage to work in. Only a small parking lot. I have someone willing to do it for me and let me help him.

One day I had hopes in doing a cam swap, but have barely researched the idea. I only want to do bolt on mods to the car at this time, so I'm not sure which cam I should go with. A friend told me to go with a 223/223 cam.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 05-05-2013 | 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well guys, my friend agreed to work on the car. But I'm looking to upgrade a bit. I'm definitely going to get an LS6 intake manifold, but I'm also looking for LS6 heads.

Do you guys have a recommendation for a cam using LS6 heads and intake with exhaust?
Old 05-06-2013 | 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found a set of LS6 heads with a fresh port and valve job with LS6 springs. He wants $550 for them. You guys think that is a good deal?

Quick Reply: Finally in an F-body