Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Debaffling aftermarket WS6 hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debaffling aftermarket WS6 hood

Hey guys, I have an aftermarket fiberglass hood that I was wanting to remove the baffles on. Pretty much making my own Brian Greene mod. My only concern is, with the hood being fiberglass, would it make the latch area too weak and possibly crack over time?

I actually had to remove the stock hood sturts cause they were starting to flex the hood abit where they bolt on so I'm guessing this is a pretty weak hood to begin with.

With it having no struts pushing up on the hood, the only concern would be the wind at highway speeds pulling up on the hood and putting too much pressure/stress on the latch area.

Maybe I can re-enforce the hood around the latch area from underneath?

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The baffles shouldn't add any structural support, at least I wouldn't think so. If you want some more support, put a piece of steel on both sides of the fiberglass and bolt in the latch. That will spread the load out vs just having 2 bolts in fiberglass holes. High quality aftermarket hoods use this concept, but the plate is molded into the fiberglass
Old 05-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, from what I remember I don't think the latch bolted onto any metal plate. Just straight to the fiberglass but I'll take a closer look over the weekend. I really hope it does have one molded in. If not, at least thanks for the idea.

Quick Reply: Debaffling aftermarket WS6 hood