Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

If your thread is gone, look for it here...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant level light

Random Miscellaneous Mechanical Issues

Instead of random posts about miscellaneous mechanical issues in the Firebird-specific forum, try and get a diagnosis of your problem(s) in the General Maintenance & Repairs FAQ sticky. If you can't find a resolution to your issue there, then feel free to start a new thread.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Scott (y2k_ta)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 1999 Firebird Formula with 182000 miles. This car runs like it is brand new and i am the second owner. This car has never had any serious issues at all. But i went through the car wash the other day and shortly after leaving, my low coolant light came on. So i went and put some coolant in the reservoir and took it home, waited till it cooled, opened the radiator and changed the cap .the radiator and reservoir were full. The car does not overheat, run rough, smoke, no real bubbles in the coolant, nothing. So i ran it the other day till the light came on, carefully removed the cap off of the radiator with it running and found that the level had dropped. A few seconds later the level rose and i put the cap back on. I'm guessing the level dropping is due to thermostat regulation. So i am going to replace the level sensor next due to the fact that when the level rose back to normal (while the car was hot and still running) and the light never went off. Anyone ever run into this? what are yalls thoughts. Last resort is pulling off the heads and checking them and the gaskets. I just was wondering if i am missing something.

Last edited by y2k_ta; 07-20-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

These coolant lights go "bad" quite often. They show low coolant, but the coolant isnt actually low. Its just the sending unit isnt working correctly.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 501 Likes on 361 Posts

The words that stuck out in my mind were these two, car wash. I'm wondering if the high pressure water hit something to cause the problem.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Front turn signals

My front turn signals don't flash at all ( rear ones work fine ) and I've read in a few different places that this happens because the sockets corrode or rust out and the best option is to replace them since they only cost something like $8. Also, the DRLs don't work either, which I believe is a separate issue altogether but I'm not really concerned about those.

I found a thread where one of the users said that they are the same part as LT1 Firebird tail light sockets ( which coincidentally, the part I linked below has the same part number as the tail light socket for my 99 )

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...5_148677_4155_

Is this the correct part?

Last edited by Kevin Lee 487; 07-07-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Launching!

i did mine a couple months ago. Sockets were corroded... Got the sockets from autozone. Cut, Splice, solder, Shrink tubing.... Done!
Old 07-07-2013, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have the patience, rockauto had them on sale not too long ago. I got 4 sockets for like 15 bucks shipped.

If your lenses are cracked, you can replace the bulbs and sockets, but they will only corrode again in a couple months.

Heres my thread.

EDIT wrong thread

The last post #32 shows what i bought to fix the problem.

Last edited by Zlow28; 07-07-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Lenses are good and its not an absolute dire issue.

@ DirtyBird Do you know the name of the part on autozone? If possible I would to avoid ordering from a website.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the problem is the poor design by gm, the filament bulbs get to hot, and melt the housings, causing water in, corroding the sockets. Get new housings, replace the sockets, and put in LEDs. problem solved.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just noticed i put the wrong thread in post 3.

If water is not getting inside the housing, then a new socket probably isnt going to fix your issue though. Have you already replaced the bulbs only?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:10 AM
TECH Regular

Just for clarification. The front signal bulbs do not flash when using the signal or hazards. They illuminate just fine if I turn them on via the headlight/parking light controls. The rear signals flash just fine. The arrows on my dash are working correctly and do not flash irregularly or stay solid.

I haven't replaced anything yet. I came across a thread on here where the OP had the same EXACT issue I described in the first post. He had to re-solder the DRL module along with getting new sockets and bulbs. Completely fixed it.

I'll be looking to replace them this weekend ( or whatever I have to do ) to get the turn signals working. Like I said before, I'm not really that concerned with the DRLs.

I wouldn't even have known they were out if my girlfriend hadn't asked me why I wasn't using my signals when I was driving behind her. Theres absolutely no indication that the front bulbs aren't flashing from in the car. The dash arrows blink just fine.

I just want to fix them so I have 1 less reason to get pulled over ( though nobody I know in my area has EVER been pulled over for not using a turn signal ) but wost case scenario, I'm willing to bet I could get off with a warning if I show the officer that theres no indication from inside the car that my front bulbs don't flash.

Edit : I have an aftermarket keyfob ( PO installed a remote start ) and when unlocking/locking the car with the fob, none of the exterior lights or horn do anything ( Interior dome lights come on when I unlock it ), so using that as a diagnosis procedure is out. Its more than likely set in a different mode than default. I have the owners manual and I saw something about unlock/lock options in there when I was skimming through it.

Last edited by Kevin Lee 487; 07-08-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I fixed my 98TA turn signal problem once I realized the cause. The T/A housings have a lens on the front that is in 3 pieces. They are not glued or fused together originally so water will leak inside whenever you are driving in the rain at any real speed. I couldn't believe it when I did a pressure test on them and saw the water leaking out the 2 vertical seams in the lens. Coating the entire front of the lens with clear epoxy fixed the problem.

Also regarding the flasher not changing speed when the front lamps were out, that is because someone replaced the original thermal flasher with an electronic "heavy duty" one that is not sensitive to a changing lamp load. You have to be careful in selecting a suitable replacement.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Launching!

i dont remember the part number off hand... i just asked the guy at the counter... but he had a camaro too so he knew what i was looking for right away.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

good luck man, i just had my own turn signal problems and it took me half the day to figure it out... when i was driving to get parts every time i saw someone use there turn signal it was like they were mocking me...
Old 07-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Default Fixing e brake.

I have an 01 Trans Am and my Ebrake cord broke. Does anybody know how to repair this?
Old 07-09-2013, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question common power steering leak areas

So I think I've figured out why my alternator seems to work sporadically. I'm pretty sure I have a slow leak from the ps onto the alt. When I took the alt off a whole back to get it tested even the guy thought it was kinda oily with a residue. Well that same weeki also filled my ps reservoir. Well now my reservoir is low again so I'm thinking that I can kill 2 birds with one stone if I can fix the leak then maybe the alt will work better
Old 07-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Default Not the car wash

Originally Posted by NC01TA
The words that stuck out in my mind were these two, car wash. I'm wondering if the high pressure water hit something to cause the problem.
When I got my Formula 7 years ago, the low coolant light was on. The only place that had the part was the dealer. 7 years 5000 miles later, its back on. They do go bad. I bought 2 on line and both are wrong. Do it the old fashion way, find out who has it, like Advance Auto or whatever, take the old one with you. I bought 2 on line to save money and what I spent on
those I could have bought one from the dealer. And it stayed off for months and came back on a few weeks ago.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump?
Old 07-10-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default 04' blinking radio display

What exactly is the cause of the monsoon blinking display. Seems like if I leave mine on for a while it clears up, kinda like there is moisture in the internal wiring.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnfin
What exactly is the cause of the monsoon blinking display. Seems like if I leave mine on for a while it clears up, kinda like there is moisture in the internal wiring.
Uuuhhhh.... They stopped making the trans am in 02
Old 07-10-2013, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

He has a super secret edition 04

Quick Reply: If your thread is gone, look for it here...