Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

LT1 Trans Am good first car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vyrulent
I agree, my first car was a hot rodded 1983 c10 and I never came close to wrecking it. Granted it was not an fbody with an lt1/ls1 but a hot rod nonetheless.
Maybe it's a regional thing (I know a lot of really urban areas people don't even get licenses and car ownership is a joke), but in high school I can think of maybe 3-4 16-17 year olds that wrecked their cars out of my entire high school, none of which were the "hot-rod" guys.

I'd venture to say you'd be more likely to crash a geo metro while texting/messing with a phone than you would in a sports/muscle car driving responsibly and paying attention.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my 01 as a HS graduation gift, car is just in as good as shape as when I got it, just be responsible, think things out and don't listen to idiots.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he may be responsible but that feeling when another car tries you... that temptation... that peer pressure... the insults in school " you got a fast car but a punk to scared to race".. trust me been there done that.. you can only have so much control especially in a beast like a Trans AM the conclusion is inevitable he will race at some point.. oh and be ready for haters at school. scratched car , stolen parts. etc..
Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BatFastard
I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get one, my parents are being really stubborn. I'll just stick with a 4 cylinder coupe, maybe a Cobalt, Toyota Celica, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Honda Prelude or V6 Firebird. Don't worry I won't become a ricer if I get one of those Japanese cars. I'll get the Trans Am my senior year or after I graduate.
Before I got my bird, I was looking at cars like like the Eclipse GSX, Celica GT-S, 4th gen Mustang, even a Civic SI

While they aren't as fast as F-bodies, they're all great cars that will put a smile on your face
Old 10-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Before I got my bird, I was looking at cars like like the Eclipse GSX, Celica GT-S, 4th gen Mustang, even a Civic SI

While they aren't as fast as F-bodies, they're all great cars that will put a smile on your face
yeah my first car was a Nissan 300zx man I loved that car.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrainFreezE
yeah my first car was a Nissan 300zx man I loved that car.
Amazing car. I still hope to get a TT 300ZX. Hard to believe they're already 24 years old but they still look clean and new
Old 10-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Teching In

My parents said they'll buy me a sub 2k car for my first car. I'll take that and actually think it's a smart move, since I don't want my first car to be something that I don't want to see hurt, so I'll drive that sub 2k car, while still saving up for a Trans Am, maybe even a LS1 WS6. I'll buy that my junior year (if I have enough money by then) or senior year. So I plan my second car to be a Trans Am.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

My parents said they'll buy me a sub 2k car for my first car. I'll take that and actually think it's a smart move, since I don't want my first car to be something that I don't want to see hurt, so I'll drive that sub 2k car, while still saving up for a Trans Am, maybe even a LS1 WS6. I'll buy that my junior year (if I have enough money by then) or senior year. So I plan my second car to be a Trans Am.
Then you better start saving now

Took me little over a year to save up 10k to buy my WS6. Started in the summer after my Junior year and got my car this August, paid in full. Money comes hard as a full time student but be patient and it pays off. Look for part time jobs in your area (if you don't already have one) and not only will you get some cash but also show your parents that you are maturing and ready to handle a LSX when you get one.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Then you better start saving now

Took me little over a year to save up 10k to buy my WS6. Started in the summer after my Junior year and got my car this August, paid in full. Money comes hard as a full time student but be patient and it pays off. Look for part time jobs in your area (if you don't already have one) and not only will you get some cash but also show your parents that you are maturing and ready to handle a LSX when you get one.
Do you have just liability, collision, comprehensive or full? Because if I spent a year busting my butt to get a car that's one of my dream cars, I'd sure as hell have full.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have just liability, collision, comprehensive or full? Because if I spent a year busting my butt to get a car that's one of my dream cars, I'd sure as hell have full.
Just have liability. But I'm also on my parent's insurance which makes it much cheaper then being on your own. I pay my share (really cheap, I think it's like $130 every 6 months) but if I ever get a ticket or something that raises my insurance, my parents will kick me off their plan and make my get my own.

How's that for incentive to drive like a grandma

But I still know a few roads where I can safely do some WOT pulls
Old 10-30-2013, 03:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You could go for a 3rd gen. They still have that cool factor but are a lot less likely to get you wrapped around a tree than an LT1 or LS1 car. They're cheaper too.

And then when someone tries to talk trash, you can tell them that its just a little slow 305. It just sounds mean.

I had a 88 Trans Am GTA with the 5.7L TPI as my first car ( after 2 years of using my Dad's F150 when I needed it ) and paid for it myself. Got her for $1800. I can only ever recall it getting away from me twice. Once was during a bad snowstorm ( bald rear tires ) and the 2nd was in the rain ( same **** tires ).

My current Trans Am is the fastest car I have ever driven by a long shot and it scared me a couple times when I was still getting used to the power difference. ( Ended up going 30mph over what I thought I was going to speed up to )

One thing you may be overlooking is that since a Trans Am/Firebird is a car you actually want, you will care about it far more than just some other car. As a result, the Bird will be better taken care of and extra precautions will end up getting taken without you even realizing it. You'll notice yourself washing it more, paying better attention to the sounds it makes and the way it drives. Checking the fluids more often, keeping a closer eye on it when its parked in a public place, etc. I personally always park my car in plain view to discourage anyone from touching it and so I can easily see it from wherever I am.

When I sold my GTA, I ended up getting a 01 Blazer and absolutely hated it. I let my GF drive the thing to the ends of the earth and didn't give 2 ***** about it. I didn't keep it nearly as clean as I do my LS1, and I did a couple of " work around " fixes instead of fixing the problem. I only had the thing for ~ 3-4 months so I barely did anything in the way of maintenance.

Last edited by Kevin Lee 487; 10-30-2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee 487
One thing you may be overlooking is that since a Trans Am/Firebird is a car you actually want, you will care about it far more than just some other car. As a result, the Bird will be better taken care of and extra precautions will end up getting taken without you even realizing it. You'll notice yourself washing it more, paying better attention to the sounds it makes and the way it drives. Checking the fluids more often, keeping a closer eye on it when its parked in a public place, etc. I personally always park my car in plain view to discourage anyone from touching it and so I can easily see it from wherever I am.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Bravo! do this all the time!!!
Old 10-30-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 10-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Restricted User

my first car at 16 was a high mileage 94 TA. Favorite car I've owned.

As long as you're responsible with it and don't be an idiot you'll be fine.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Teching In

I worked out a deal with my parents. They said once I get a job and hold it for a while, they will let me get a car of my choice. If it's a sports car/muscle car I have to pay for 75% of the car, insurance, and all of gas. Im going to save up to get either an LT1 Trans Am or Camaro. LS1 will be to expensive and to much power for me.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Launching!

I worked out a deal with my parents. They said once I get a job and hold it for a while, they will let me get a car of my choice. If it's a sports car/muscle car I have to pay for 75% of the car, insurance, and all of gas. Im going to save up to get either an LT1 Trans Am or Camaro. LS1 will be to expensive and to much power for me.
idk might as well save a little more and get the ls1 you won't be regret it. you are still young save up now don't settle. I didn't. lol
Old 11-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BrainFreezE
idk might as well save a little more and get the ls1 you won't be regret it. you are still young save up now don't settle. I didn't. lol
I planned on getting an LS1 after I graduate. Plus LT1's are cheaper (I want a car ASAP), and cost less on insurance. I'd still absolutely be in love with the LT and don't think I'd regret it. However, if I find a sub 6k LS1, I'd go after that with no hesitation. The only thing that would outrun the LT1 at my school is an '04 GTO. I have counted 32 Mustangs in the school parking lot, only like 5 of which are GT's.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have counted 32 Mustangs in the school parking lot, only like 5 of which are GT's.

Last edited by M4N14C; 11-01-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Teching In

For some reason, the picture you posted isn't showing up for me. But yeah, mainly 1999-2004 Mustang V6's. Some of them are just completly ignorant and think they can outrun Trans Ams and Camaros.

Quick Reply: LT1 Trans Am good first car?