Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

LT1 Trans Am good first car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Trans Am good first car?

I'm currently 15, turning 16 in a week. I found a 1995 Trans Am LT1 for $3800. It is an A4, color is red, hardtop with chrome rims (which are currently plastidipped), aftermarket stereo and subwoofers. 140k miles. I showed my parents, they are a little hesitant. I have to pay for half of the car ($1900), all of gas, and half of insurance (which I'd probably get just liability). They think I should instead drive a sub 1k junker. I think this dumb, since the car would be old, ugly, unsafe, slow, and embarassing. My family is in good econimical standing, making 100k+ a year combined. I really do think I am responsible enough, and I know what even the old LT1's can do if you're not careful. I don't want this to street race, drive at insane speeds (90 MPH+). I want it because I love Trans Am's and F Bodys, it sounds awesome, I might want to get into drag racing LEGALLY, I want a car that will turn heads, and a car that everyonce in a while I could acclerate up to the speed limit hard. So is this a good first car? And how do I convince my parents?
Old 10-27-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO it is a good car, it seems like you are a responsible kid and you're smart too (typing better than 90% of people on the internet ). A way you could convince your parents is by telling them that you will give up the car for a couple days/week if you get a ticket or what not, that's the same strategy I used when I got my 89 Formula.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be a good first car but you need to make sure you understand the LT1 and understand the responsibility that comes with a Trans Am while still being in high school.

Also, make sure you get full coverage. For instance, finding a front bumper for that car would be almost impossible.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+ 1 for full coverage, f-bodys seem to be a magnet for damage and theft.

Now that im older i can understand how a t/a would not be a good first car. But i wont argue because my first car was a '91 formula (paid for on my own).
Old 10-27-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

from personal experience, I would not recommend a nice car as a first car, now as a graduation present (one that comes about a month before graduation) then yes. walk thru your highschool parking lot and look at all the less then a few years old new cars that people got as they turned sixteen and see how many have damaged bumpers. I am a good driver but at that age and experience level you are almost guaranteed to **** it up, 2 weeks into driving I thought I had put my 96 tahoe (this was july 2000 for reference) in reverse on an inclined driveway so when I started go forward I gas it and ended up hitting and pushing my aunts saturn and my grandfathers aerostar minivan a good 20 feet. even then you don't have the experience to know how to dodge other drivers doing stupid **** yet, save yourself the heartache of ******* up a car you like and get a 2000 dollar honda where you don't care what happens to it.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

I am 17 and my trans am was my second car but just show your parents that your responsible then you got it from there!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yes i say go for it kid
Old 10-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

I just got a white '95 trans am as my first car. It's a perfect car!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My '99 WS6 is my first car (used my parent's accord for 6 months until I bought my bird). Owned it for about 3 months now and no tickets, no accidents, no attempted thefts. If you're responsible and respect the car, go ahead. But if you just wanna buy it to show of and use it as a statement, get a civic until you mature. These cars will hurt or even kill you if you're not careful so if you think you're up to it, get it
Old 10-27-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

My first car when I was 16 (back in 2000) was an 88 VW Golf GL 4 door. Ugly as sin, but she had 50k miles on her and was garage kept by my grandmother. I worked my butt off to keep her in good shape and when I was 17 I sold it and my parents pitched in and I got a 97 Camaro Convertible. Did the same thing, busted my butt and took care of it and when I was 18 I sold it and got into a 1993 Z28 six speed. Show them you are responsible and get your nice car.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be responsible and you'll be fine. Buy a $500 pickup or civic as a beater if you've got snow where you live, or when you want to work on the trans am (an inevitability lol).
Old 10-28-2013, 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

By looking at your user name I would say you are not ready for a high performance car. Start off with something less performance oriented until you get older, like 18. You will also save your parents some serious insurance money.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
By looking at your user name I would say you are not ready for a high performance car.
I don't know, he could have done worse! I'm pretty sure FuttBucker is free and he didn't go for that, give him some credit!
Old 10-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Teching In

My parents also said they're afraid I'm going to go insanely fast. I'll be 100% honest, but I am way to scared and chicken to go anything past 90 MPH lol. They also don't want me getting it because I have to pay for half of it ($1900) and only have $600. I said I would pay them back, an wouldn't be able to drive it until I did. And how does my username make me seem immature? Yes I may be a little profane at times, but when it comes to something like this where myself or an innocent person could get hurt or even killed, I' really mature and would use my head. Now I admit I would probably gun it when I don't see any cars or bystanders near, and do donuts when its raining in an empty parking lot, and the occasional burnout. But nothing where someone's life is at stake.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BatFastard
My parents also said they're afraid I'm going to go insanely fast. I'll be 100% honest, but I am way to scared and chicken to go anything past 90 MPH lol. They also don't want me getting it because I have to pay for half of it ($1900) and only have $600. I said I would pay them back, an wouldn't be able to drive it until I did. And how does my username make me seem immature? Yes I may be a little profane at times, but when it comes to something like this where myself or an innocent person could get hurt or even killed, I' really mature and would use my head. Now I admit I would probably gun it when I don't see any cars or bystanders near, and do donuts when its raining in an empty parking lot, and the occasional burnout. But nothing where someone's life is at stake.
and inexperienced drivers doing exactly what you say is what leads to those youtube videos of guys doing donuts and crashing into ****, don't spend money you don't have, buy a beater because you will likely wreck your first car, no matter how responsible you are.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Teching In

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get one, my parents are being really stubborn. I'll just stick with a 4 cylinder coupe, maybe a Cobalt, Toyota Celica, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Honda Prelude or V6 Firebird. Don't worry I won't become a ricer if I get one of those Japanese cars. I'll get the Trans Am my senior year or after I graduate.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BatFastard
I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get one, my parents are being really stubborn. I'll just stick with a 4 cylinder coupe, maybe a Cobalt, Toyota Celica, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Honda Prelude or V6 Firebird. Don't worry I won't become a ricer if I get one of those Japanese cars. I'll get the Trans Am my senior year or after I graduate.
now i do have a buddy with a 09 cobalt SS. they are turbocharged and are stout cars.

his 09 is just as fast as my camaro at the moment probably faster, due to his tune and piping.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your parents are smart, they are concerned about your safety. They see right through your Eddie Haskell routine about how responsible you are. They know, you know and we know that the reason you want a Trans Am is to be on the throttle until you run out of gas money.

I'm old now, but in hindsight I'm glad 275 hp cars weren't within a 15 year old's price range like they are these days.

Learn how to drive on something tame. Sorry about the curmudgeonly answer.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
you will likely wreck your first car, no matter how responsible you are.
Lol, I think this statistic is a little out of whack...
Old 10-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Lol, I think this statistic is a little out of whack...
I agree, my first car was a hot rodded 1983 c10 and I never came close to wrecking it. Granted it was not an fbody with an lt1/ls1 but a hot rod nonetheless.

Quick Reply: LT1 Trans Am good first car?