Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Making Sure I Have My Ducks In A Row

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making Sure I Have My Ducks In A Row

I am making sure that I have everything I will need when it comes to my installs this spring on my '02 WS6 so I can keep an eye out for anything I may need to get that comes up for sale.

I am going to be lowering my car on Khonis and BMR springs. I plan on doing the heater hose mod on the rear before they get installed. I also am getting an adjustable panhard bar and LCA relo brackets. I will also have them check out any bushings that may need replaced. Anything else I am missing?

I have a Yank SS3600 stall and will be getting an aftermarket cooler to keep the trans temps down. I will also be looking into a shift kit at the same time. Anything else needed here?

I will be getting Speed Engineering race headers with my bonus which will be going back to the ebay true dual system. The guy I am trading has it dumped before the axle but I am going to be running it over the axle and out the back to 4" corsa clone tips. I have been reading that going 3" over the axle can be a challenge for most shops so if they cant then I will just go with 2.5" pipe over the axle to the tips. I have poly motor mounts in the clams to go on at the same time as well. Anything else?

I will be getting everything dyno tuned in Columbus as well.

Thanks for any and all input!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You need synthetic grease for the bushings in the panhard bar. I would skip the heater hose mod and keep the bigger rubber insulators. Im on Konis with Strano springs, and it sits pretty low already. I wouldnt drop it any more with duals. I would do the spark plugs also.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

if you're doing panhard and lower control arm relocation brackets then do the lower control arms aswell don't go halfway. and plugs and wires while you have them pulled apart for the header install just makes sense (thats what I've been planning).
Old 12-11-2013, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

When you lower the car you will also need an alignment.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info. If I get adjustable lcas would I still need the relo brackets?
Old 12-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Teching In

I'm pretty sure you still need the relocation brackets, and why not they are pretty cheap anyway.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DP 08 GXP
Thanks for the info. If I get adjustable lcas would I still need the relo brackets?
You don't need either.
If you insist on having aftermarket LCAs, then just make sure they are not poly bushings as they will bind.
With relocation brackets you can adjust the angle of the rear LCA which can help with traction but will hurt handling (its actually better for handling that he rear LCA body side to be lower than the axle side, just like it is when lowered).
What do you want to get out of the car? Just a street car for toying around? Are you more concerned with drag racing? Handling? Ride quality?
Old 12-13-2013, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

The car is only driven on nice days. It won't be autocrossed. It may see the drag strip once or twice a year so I'm not real concerned with that. I am looking for ride quality mostly because we don't have a lot of curvy roads around here to mess around on.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

When talking to Founders they recommended these LCAs

http://www.foundersperformance.com/1...ce-poly-joint/

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Making Sure I Have My Ducks In A Row