Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

How to convince my parents to let me get an LT1 Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my car when I was 16. I worked at a local car wash for a year before I had enough to pay for it. Insurance blows along with gas (no longer my daily), but if I had to do it over again I would. I love my car, and it has came a long way from what it was. If I were you I would try and save for an LS based vehicle, but LT1's at 16 is no slouch (buddy has one). As for convincing wise, get good grades so insurance is less, and just show them you really care about it and it is something you are interested in.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

use the. if you let me get this LT1 you would look really good riding around in it with the t-tops down "DAD"
Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Tell them the optispark is new and improved and also re-located lol... Show them you are responsible but you are young we get tempted to do donuts and drive crazy... Just tell them it's something you really want say it's not like your a bad kid and do drugs (considering you dont) lol... should work I had an lt1 at the age of 16 but then I bought my self a 2005 Escalade ext. I'm now 20 and own a 02 ss!! some advice tho save for an ls1 camaro!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

just remember if you do get the lt1 be quick to hide your raw papers or bowl under the back seats when you and your friends are cruising in the park late lol. cops love young kids in f-bodys
Old 03-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Default crack

Ta's are like crack one ride and you are hook. I got my first one at 17 a 79 with a built 403 blk on blk mint inside and out looked stock beside under hood. One alot of races in that car but now at 42 ive had over the years 4 .. 79s 1.. 77 ... 2 .. 99s and now im building a 98 m6 had to save it from its bad home. That one for the wife to drive while i build her 06 mustang yep new home for ls1That i replaced with the 6.0 .. u know they should by u the car at lease they will know you wont be doing drugs all your money will be in your car .. lol
Old 03-25-2014, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Sheesh. When I was 16, I had a 2002 Nissan Altima, given to my by my dad when he decided he wanted a better car. I loved the freedom of being able to go wherever I want. Ended up getting 3 different tickets in it for speeding and inattentive driving man I was an idiot.

Ended up buying my 2001 z28 after getting a well paying job at 18 years old. I'm not going to lie, I probably would have killed myself if it was my first car.

If you want it bad enough, you will get it. Took me 4 months of arguing with my dad and 10 trips to the dealership (in a month) for him to see it was my dream car.

By the way: Get an LS1 (1998-2002)
Old 03-25-2014, 07:44 PM
Teching In

I'm with the others on the LS1. I have yet to ride in an LS1 F-Body, but I have been in two LS1 Vettes and even if these supposedly "de-tuned" versions are in the cars, you are in for a blast! Lt1 is great but mine has been giving me some issues as of late. Not to mention, it has MORE HP and is made of aluminum.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1995TransAMLT1
I'm with the others on the LS1. I have yet to ride in an LS1 F-Body, but I have been in two LS1 Vettes and even if these supposedly "de-tuned" versions are in the cars, you are in for a blast! Lt1 is great but mine has been giving me some issues as of late. Not to mention, it has MORE HP and is made of aluminum.
Honestly, the last thing someone needs at age 16 is MORE power. The LS1 in an F-Body makes the same power as in a Corvette, and puts it to the road easier, being a live axle. He should get into a V6 car, then after high school, or when he can afford it, pay for a V8 car on his own, as you've done.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm glad my parents didn't let me get the first car I dreamed of--a Chevy K5. It wouldn't have lasted nearly as long as the 99 2 door blazer I got and would have cost me a lot more money. The blazer wasn't my first choice, but it was much more practical. I did all the maintenance and repairs for the 8 years I had it. It taught me a lot and had good power and decent mileage from a 4.3.

If you're looking for a v8 don't overlook trucks. As said before, they're safer and your parents probably wouldn't mind having the utility of a truck available. You could also do some odd jobs to make some extra cash. With some louder mufflers on them, they'll give you the coolness you're looking for.

Alan Jackson said it best: "There's something women like about a pickup man."
Old 03-27-2014, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by brendo389
Honestly, the last thing someone needs at age 16 is MORE power. The LS1 in an F-Body makes the same power as in a Corvette, and puts it to the road easier, being a live axle. He should get into a V6 car, then after high school, or when he can afford it, pay for a V8 car on his own, as you've done.
The whole point of that is to not spend money twice since OP will eventually realize he bought an outdated motor. Not saying the LT1 is a bad motor, I have just seen a bolt on LS1 beat a cammed LT1 and it's from the obvious upgrades GM has made.

Were trying to tell the OP that he isn't old or mature enough to say he will be responsible in his car. ****, when I first got my Altima, I got a ticket for doing 90 in a 45. I was an idiot and had I had the car I have now I would have plowed into a tree or phone pole lol.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Teching In

I do like the look of the V6 Birds with the W68 Sport Appearence package. If I could do it over, I would probably look more in that direction. Not to mention, 3800 Series II are bulletproof!

Quick Reply: How to convince my parents to let me get an LT1 Trans Am?