Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Trans AM getting ready for summer

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans AM getting ready for summer

Hey everyone. Well as one thing gets finished another project starts. This time its inside. I started the wheight reduction process and will be updating this thread as i go along. Also any input is ofcourse appreciated as this is the first time im doing something like this. I mainly started with the easy stuff since its quick, in the next couple of days i will tackle the heater core and AC crap. After that i should have passed about 200lbs dropped with the front seats still intact, which brings me to my next point if you guys have lightwheight seats and are tired of them. Ive got mine which are in great condition up for trade. Here are some pics of what ive got so far.

once i get the seats figured out i can continue with removing the heavy carpet and sound muffling material and replace it all with some lightwheight fabric. If you guys are interested in any of this stuff let me know i will let it go for cheap.

Last edited by NnOoSsSs; 02-19-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you putting the interior plastics back in?
Old 12-27-2013, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Scrape off all that seam sealer and remove the brackets. Interested to see the outcome.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

hope it's not your daily, your gonna miss that sound proofing if it is.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:13 AM
11 Second Club

ive always liked really fast daily driven street cars with all the accessory's opposed to the stripped out street cars. Granted if it was a strip only car this would be different.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:02 AM
11 Second Club

I agree to a point, my car is now a street/strip setup but I will still have full carpet. I yanked my hole HVAC box and will go with a smaller standalone heater. I don't dd this car anymore and even when I did I didn't mind not having AC.

The OPs car is going to be super loud. If you're not going to put the plastics back on I'd at least paint the inside black to help conceal it and make it look better....
Old 12-28-2013, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Its not a dd, it is loud as **** especially with the dump being right there but thats alright thats what earplugs are for lol. No way i will leave it like this. The plastic most likely will not go back on but like said i will cosmetically enhance it somehow. After i get the cage put in.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
Scrape off all that seam sealer and remove the brackets. Interested to see the outcome.
Yea i plan on doing that. Are you doing something like this right now?

Originally Posted by jsteele90
ive always liked really fast daily driven street cars with all the accessory's opposed to the stripped out street cars. Granted if it was a strip only car this would be different.
Jonathan i agree but i feel the need to lighten the car up alot you know me this will always be a street car i just started with the easy stuff. Yesterday i put my monster in which is a long story but i need to finish it up sunday with jordan. The only thing i am getting rid of AC and the heater core. I never use that **** anyway.

Last edited by NnOoSsSs; 12-28-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

i think if you swapped out the factory arpet and replaced it with ozite or the speed inc carpet that would be a good upgrade, and you could still put your plastics back in. they dont weigh very much at all. get 1 lightweight drag racing seat, lexan front and rear glass. chromeoly bumper supports, ditch the power steering and replace with a manual rack, ditch the abs, lightweight front brakes. etc..$$$

Last edited by jsteele90; 12-28-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

Yea you're going to starting getting into money weight mods. My GF just got me a Kirkey racing seat for Xmas.

If you're gonna be in and out of the car a lot if do Speed Inc's lightweight carpet over Ozite since Ozite is known to fray fairly easily.

I also yanked my heater core. I was gonna modifiy it to retain heat but didn't feel like doing it so I may just get a stand alone heater in the future.

On a street car I'd probably do stock brakes in the front, drag brakes in the rear.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Yea i havent checked out speed incs carpet yet but i read some good things about their product. As far as the lexan im not quite sure if im going quite that far.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
Yea you're going to starting getting into money weight mods. My GF just got me a Kirkey racing seat for Xmas.

If you're gonna be in and out of the car a lot if do Speed Inc's lightweight carpet over Ozite since Ozite is known to fray fairly easily.

I also yanked my heater core. I was gonna modifiy it to retain heat but didn't feel like doing it so I may just get a stand alone heater in the future.

On a street car I'd probably do stock brakes in the front, drag brakes in the rear.
Yea im planning to get a pair of those to replace my stockers thats when im going to do the rest of the carpet and finish up inside, this is something i can just spend some nice time on and do it right so its not like some half *** looking interior job.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

don't forget to remove that antenna motor, the cruise control box and windshield washer reservoir!

love the trap door! reminds me that i need to widen mine
Old 12-29-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hawk584
don't forget to remove that antenna motor, the cruise control box and windshield washer reservoir!

love the trap door! reminds me that i need to widen mine
Haha thanks. I did mine when my buddy redid his. At first the plan was to use latches to keep it close but really how many times am i going to open that. So instead i used some rubber molding to keep it from rattling and keep some of the fumes out and screws to hold it in place
Old 12-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

My silver bird is on a diet as well, though less extreme. Mine is a DD, so sound proofing, plastics and HVAC will stay. Gone is the AIR/EGR stuff, windshield washer reservoir, spare tire and jack, airbag wheel replaced with Momo. Next will be MWC bumper bracket (front only), lightweight battery, lightweight seats of some sort.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by eteller
My silver bird is on a diet as well, though less extreme. Mine is a DD, so sound proofing, plastics and HVAC will stay. Gone is the AIR/EGR stuff, windshield washer reservoir, spare tire and jack, airbag wheel replaced with Momo. Next will be MWC bumper bracket (front only), lightweight battery, lightweight seats of some sort.
Could you post a pic of youre wheel ive been wanting to do that also. For seats i will most likely be going with kirkey's
Old 12-30-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

5gal. fuel cell!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hawk584
5gal. fuel cell!
Id love to see some pics from other peoples completed race interiors
Old 01-02-2014, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

I am also doing something similar to this. I'm taking out the insulation and then just laying my original carpet back down. I took out my AC already but I was wondering how much weight I would save by removing the heating system as well? I have done multiple searches and can't find much. Not trying to hijack the thread just curious cause looks like your doing the same..
Old 01-02-2014, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Holloway5
I am also doing something similar to this. I'm taking out the insulation and then just laying my original carpet back down. I took out my AC already but I was wondering how much weight I would save by removing the heating system as well? I have done multiple searches and can't find much. Not trying to hijack the thread just curious cause looks like your doing the same..
The heater core when full of water can wheigh up to 50lbs i think so its definetly a must as far as im concerned. As people mentioned already speed inc makes a good one. I also was bored yesterday morning and went to a fabric store (joann fabrics) lol and found some nice materials that look pretty robust. They also sell foam which is pretty light in case there are some spots you want to be soft. I didnt want to reuse my original carpet because it was in rough shape and ripped very easily
Attached Thumbnails Trans AM getting ready for summer-forumrunner_20140102_120220.jpg   Trans AM getting ready for summer-forumrunner_20140102_120248.jpg   Trans AM getting ready for summer-forumrunner_20140102_120307.jpg  

Quick Reply: Trans AM getting ready for summer