Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2000 trans am ws6 6/speed need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 trans am ws6 6/speed need help

Hey guys.. Im mike and new here. Thanks for reading this and appreciate any opinions or input.. Well I bought a 2000 trans am ws6 a few months ago.. it has a flowmaster cat back system on it.. not sure which one, and also it has umi lowering springs I believe.. Also one of the mechanics at the dealership I work at listened to the car and said he thinks the cam has been changed out but I have no idea what can would be in it.. My question is what are the steps I need to take to do upgrades.. I plan to buy a cold air intake. but what else would you guys suggest.. The cam and exhaust sound good.. I wish it lobed a little bit more but it makes great power. it spins even in 3rd gear so I was looking into street slicks also.. has 65k miles as of today.. I do not daily drive it.. its a garage monster haha so to speak..
Old 01-13-2014, 01:59 PM

I have no idea what heads or intake or throttle body or anything to use.. im very new and just starting to get into this.. I just wanna do it right and have a fun weekend car.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

On a 2000, I wouldn't waste money on a "cold air intake" the "ricer" style "cold air" increases the run length the air has to travel and has a 90* bend to go into the throttle body, the other "cold air/ram air" that is metal and goes beneath the airbox doesn't add enough to justify the costs. as far as air intake goes either de-baffle the stock air-lid or replace it with a better one.

you would be better off putting the money toward something with better flow then the flowmaster muffler.

I would start with improving the suspension to handle the power you're already making if your spinning in third.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
On a 2000, I wouldn't waste money on a "cold air intake" the "ricer" style "cold air" increases the run length the air has to travel and has a 90* bend to go into the throttle body, the other "cold air/ram air" that is metal and goes beneath the airbox doesn't add enough to justify the costs. as far as air intake goes either de-baffle the stock air-lid or replace it with a better one.

you would be better off putting the money toward something with better flow then the flowmaster muffler.

I would start with improving the suspension to handle the power you're already making if your spinning in third.
So you think I should take out the flowmaster cat back and replace it with something else? I wanted to get the borla adjustable one but it came with this already on it so I haven't touched it... and as far as air intake just do a different lid? and it has lowering springs already so u would suggest other shocks? or struts? not street slicks?
Old 01-13-2014, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicMike Shriver
So you think I should take out the flowmaster cat back and replace it with something else? I wanted to get the borla adjustable one but it came with this already on it so I haven't touched it... and as far as air intake just do a different lid? and it has lowering springs already so u would suggest other shocks? or struts? not street slicks?
First, post detailed pics of the car. Outside, engine bay, and under the car, so we can tell you what is actually done to it.
Also UMI doesn't make lowering springs, and these cars have shocks all around, no struts. If you want to change out the shocks look into SLP bilstiens or Koni STR's on the lower end of budget, and if you have some money to spend and want the car to be totally transformed (best suspension mod you can do, period) you could get some Koni Single Adjustable's (amazing handling and ride quality).
Next, if you really do have a flowmaster muffler (does it look like a big rectangular pillow under the car? if so then its an 80 series) then swapping out the catback wouldn't be a bad idea as they are arguably worse than stock.
Next, I highly doubt that the previous owner didn't do full bolt ons (intake, headers, y-pipe) if he went through the trouble of doing a cam swap. So you probably already have an intake lid.
Last be cautious with running really sticky tires, if you have the stock 10 bolt rear end it can grenade itself if you get a lot of wheel hop or the tires bite hard. Spinning in third gear can simply mean you just have shitty tires. What tires do you have?
Old 01-13-2014, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
First, post detailed pics of the car. Outside, engine bay, and under the car, so we can tell you what is actually done to it.
Also UMI doesn't make lowering springs, and these cars have shocks all around, no struts. If you want to change out the shocks look into SLP bilstiens or Koni STR's on the lower end of budget, and if you have some money to spend and want the car to be totally transformed (best suspension mod you can do, period) you could get some Koni Single Adjustable's (amazing handling and ride quality).
Next, if you really do have a flowmaster muffler (does it look like a big rectangular pillow under the car? if so then its an 80 series) then swapping out the catback wouldn't be a bad idea as they are arguably worse than stock.
Next, I highly doubt that the previous owner didn't do full bolt ons (intake, headers, y-pipe) if he went through the trouble of doing a cam swap. So you probably already have an intake lid.
Last be cautious with running really sticky tires, if you have the stock 10 bolt rear end it can grenade itself if you get a lot of wheel hop or the tires bite hard. Spinning in third gear can simply mean you just have shitty tires. What tires do you have?
I apologize for being a noob.. I will try to get some pics.. The trans ams are just my favorite kinda of car and that's why I wanted one.. I didn't know much about it.. but the previous owner had it for 8 years and put only 2400 miles on it a year.. so maybe the tires are bad? I believe they are the stock ones.. I will check the brand and model when I get home.. and yes I do think it looks like a big pillow underneath it.. so maybe it is the 80 serious .. ima try to get pics of everything in the next couple days.. I appreciate the help
Old 01-13-2014, 05:36 PM

there is a umi sticker under the hood.. I just assumed it was lowering springs... what does umi make that they would have put on it?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

there is a umi sticker under the hood.. I just assumed it was lowering springs... what does umi make that they would have put on it?
They make just about everything else suspension wise other than shocks/springs (they sell some different shocks/springs, but do not make them). Check out their site:
http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...=index&cPath=7
Old 01-13-2014, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Start with a 9" or 12 bolt rear if you are planning on slicks with a 10 bolt. If you are spinning now once you put slicks on it and they stick on the first hard launch the rears goin to crap itself.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

If your Flowmaster is anything like mine was, then it is a great sounding exhaust. If you are worried about the flow of the exhaust, just put a cutout in it so you have the best of both worlds. If the car doesn't already have these mods then I would throw a SLP lid, LS6 intake, and some longtube headers on it and be done with it. If you want to go further then that then look into a set of ported 243s (or better) and nice custom cam to match.

If you don't plan to take the car to the drag strip then I wouldn't bother throwing money at a new rear end unless you just have the extra cash.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Man, just enjoy the car for awhile. No need to go rushing into changes. You sound pretty green, so take time and just watch/read these posts. Dig into old posts on what interests you.... You will learn a ton!
Old 01-14-2014, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by 666ws6
Man, just enjoy the car for awhile. No need to go rushing into changes. You sound pretty green, so take time and just watch/read these posts. Dig into old posts on what interests you.... You will learn a ton!
Ya that's kinda what im doing.. ive been on here for about 3 weeks reading everything.. im going to do some lighting mods and license plate cover and some speakers. but I just am trying to figure out what to look forward to doing.. I barely get to drive the car as it is.. just on weekends and only if its nice out.. and if I end up going anywhere..
Old 01-14-2014, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by WS6_101
If your Flowmaster is anything like mine was, then it is a great sounding exhaust. If you are worried about the flow of the exhaust, just put a cutout in it so you have the best of both worlds. If the car doesn't already have these mods then I would throw a SLP lid, LS6 intake, and some longtube headers on it and be done with it. If you want to go further then that then look into a set of ported 243s (or better) and nice custom cam to match.

If you don't plan to take the car to the drag strip then I wouldn't bother throwing money at a new rear end unless you just have the extra cash.
my exhaust does sound great.. whats a cut out? and how do u do that.. im sorry im very new to all this.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:10 AM

They make just about everything else suspension wise other than shocks/springs (they sell some different shocks/springs, but do not make them). Check out their site:
http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...=index&cPath=7
it sure rides kinda rough I feel for having and umi suspension parts in there.. but maybe that's how its supposed to be
Old 01-14-2014, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

it sure rides kinda rough I feel for having and umi suspension parts in there.. but maybe that's how its supposed to be
The majority of aftermarket suspension out there (especially drag related) will ride rougher. Really the only aftermarket thing that will have better ride would be good shocks (again, not autozone or OEM replacements, actual sport valved shocks like Konis).
Get those pics up
Old 01-15-2014, 11:13 AM

The majority of aftermarket suspension out there (especially drag related) will ride rougher. Really the only aftermarket thing that will have better ride would be good shocks (again, not autozone or OEM replacements, actual sport valved shocks like Konis).
Get those pics up
im trying.. we got some snow yesterday so I cant get it out.. sunday is supposed to be 45 degrees here so ima try to get some taken then
Old 01-15-2014, 11:20 AM

This is the only pic I have for now
Attached Thumbnails 2000 trans am ws6 6/speed need help-messenger_5812969566516527104_13859199444555465.jpg  
Old 01-15-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also bought my TA used. Check out this thread,https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html
it explains a lot and you have to research each mod you want to perform. there are good debates on exhaust; like Y pipe vs X pipe vs. true duals, etc. Once you make up your mind on a mod, do it right the first time like everyone says. then you can move on to the next mod and budget for it or shop around. good luck
Old 01-15-2014, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 173 Likes on 155 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Congrats on the new car! The WS6 Store sells the front license plate covers.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan C
Congrats on the new car! The WS6 Store sells the front license plate covers.
ya I am in iowa and they require a front plate.. my car came from California though.. but I still may do a light up cover for the license plate

Quick Reply: 2000 trans am ws6 6/speed need help