Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2000 Trans Am 538 original miles and climbing...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Furious1
Hardbones- we need to plan to meet up...I usually hit up as many cruise ins as I can though out the year in the area.
Sure!
Twin City Cruisers have a Cruise In every 2nd Saturday of the month April thru October. I just checked the website and it looks like they moved it to the Towanda Plaza Shopping center this year, about 3 miles south of where they used to have it at the College Hills mall parking lot.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea- usually I go to a few of those a year...I'm not too pleased that they had to move...they had a perfect spot before. My wife would go shop while I checked out the cruise.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Furious1
Yea- usually I go to a few of those a year...I'm not too pleased that they had to move...they had a perfect spot before. My wife would go shop while I checked out the cruise.
I know, the wife and I would always go over the the Joe's Firehouse bar and grill to eat, they had great pizza.
There is a bar called Cheeks in Towanda Plaza that has good food and The Times Past Inn out front is pretty good too.

Last edited by hardbones; 02-27-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Everything is slowly coming together, tires arrived right before I went on vacation. Here are the Pirelli Pilot Sport PS2's in 275/35R18

Wheels arrived the day I left for vacation so I just put them in the spare bedroom and walked away! These are Forgestar CF5's 18x9.5 in a 40mm offset.

I hope to get the tires mounted up this weekend. I also have a complete set of Bilstein SLP struts and shocks along with a set of Strano front springs and BMR rear springs all brand new and ready to install in the next couple of weeks!
Old 03-26-2014, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Lol, did you daydream about those rims while you were on vacation?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

QUOTE=AnotherWs6;18109615]Lol, did you daydream about those rims while you were on vacation?[/QUOTE]

Yes...

I...

Did...

I came back home and its snowed again and they salted the **** out of the roads...again...
Its supposed to start warming up this weekend, hopefully we get some rain to wash all the salt and crud away.
She hasnt been started since the first week of December so I hope to at least pull off the cover, start her up and pull her out in the driveway this weekend.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Man I'm glad we have year round good driving weather for our cars down here it would kill me to have to park it 6 mos out of the year and look at it. She'll be killer once you get new shoes put on her. Screw nay sayers here mod her and put some miles on that sexy new odometer.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Man I'm glad we have year round good driving weather for our cars down here it would kill me to have to park it 6 mos out of the year and look at it. She'll be killer once you get new shoes put on her. Screw nay sayers here mod her and put some miles on that sexy new odometer.
Yup. Winter weather sucks big time. And the salt that eats our cars stays long after the last snow flakes have fallen.

That being said, hardbones is committing absolute sin by messing with that car. A car that should be preserved, unmolested, not driven and simply admired. But of course I have already let him know that there is no way I would be keeping my dirty little hand off of that thing either. We like cars because they are fun, so tinker with and drive them!! There will always be somebody else obsessed with preserving a time capsule so that the rest of us don't have to.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Yup. Winter weather sucks big time. And the salt that eats our cars stays long after the last snow flakes have fallen.

That being said, hardbones is committing absolute sin by messing with that car. A car that should be preserved, unmolested, not driven and simply admired. But of course I have already let him know that there is no way I would be keeping my dirty little hand off of that thing either. We like cars because they are fun, so tinker with and drive them!! There will always be somebody else obsessed with preserving a time capsule so that the rest of us don't have to.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

In all actuality though all he's done is soft mods easy bolt on's.
Put the stock stuff back on the car and it's full original again no harm no foul should time come to sell it. Who hell cars if it was loving reinstalled by a caring owner at home versus some slop on the assembly line end results the same.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In all actuality though all he's done is soft mods easy bolt on's.
Put the stock stuff back on the car and it's full original again no harm no foul should time come to sell it. Who hell cars if it was loving reinstalled by a caring owner at home versus some slop on the assembly line end results the same.
Thats the key, I still have every single stock part I pulled off the car in boxes stashed in the basement. I have no plans for any engine mods like heads, cam or intake. I just wish this frickin weather would clear up so I can pull her out and start bolting on the pile of stuff I accumulated over winter!
Old 03-27-2014, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second that, If I bought this in its hey day i'd mod it but finding this now in this condition, i couldn't
Old 03-28-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Finally it has warmed up bit, I have only started my car once in 4 months so it was nice to pull the cover off and take her for a spin today. Tires were mounted to the Forgestars yesterday, these wheels are just frickin awesome! Total investment for wheels and tires was $2800, I have NEVER spent that much for a set of wheels in my life but these things are beautiful

Since this car has only got wet one time that I know of its kinda cool to see all the parts tags and markings still in place. I really need to put her up on a hoist and wipe down the undercarriage...or just drive the **** out of it!

Hopefully I get some free time in the next couple of weeks, put her up on jackstands, install the lowering springs and Bilstein SLP struts and shocks.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Looks good man. I will say that I am generally not a fan of black wheels but those look great. Really changed the look of the car. After the springs are on that thing is going to look absolutely sinister evil.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks good man. I will say that I am generally not a fan of black wheels but those look great. Really changed the look of the car. After the springs are on that thing is going to look absolutely sinister evil.
I have never been a fan of the blacked out look either but after seeing member orangeapeal put these same rims on his car I was hooked.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Finally some sunshine yesterday and I took a decent spin, total miles at the end of the day 1,957.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Man shes lookin good nice sinister lookin WS6. I never liked black but got a smoking deal on my TA and it's black so kinda dealt with it but man there is nothing more wicked looking than a black WS6 it's grown on me.

What did the michelins run you that's all I have ever used on all my vehicles. I priced a set of OE sized 17 ps2s for my stock speedlines and dang near **** a chicken when guy at discount said they were going to be 315 a tire.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man shes lookin good nice sinister lookin WS6. I never liked black but got a smoking deal on my TA and it's black so kinda dealt with it but man there is nothing more wicked looking than a black WS6 it's grown on me.

What did the michelins run you that's all I have ever used on all my vehicles. I priced a set of OE sized 17 ps2s for my stock speedlines and dang near **** a chicken when guy at discount said they were going to be 315 a tire.
The 275/35R18's I bought were $350 a tire, whats funny is the rims were the exact same price a piece!
I have only had one othet black car and I too was not a fan, black shows everything but this car grows on me every time I drive it.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Installed the rear BMR springs and Bilstein SLP shocks yesterday, the hardest part was pulling back the carpet the rest was a breeze!

I havent done the front springs yet so I left the rear spring bushing in place with the new springs. Once I get the front springs done I will decide whether or not to do the heater hose mod based on how she sits.

Sorry for the crappy pic. I drove it about 10 miles down a bumpy country road, no rubbing and no weird noises and the car already feels tighter

Hope to take her to work in the next week or two for the front Strano springs and Biilstein SLP strut install on a hoist then do an alignment.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Started on the Strano front springs and Bilstein SLP struts last night, my biggest fear was that one torx bolt under the master cylinder but I took a T50 bit, pulled it out of its socket and used a rachet wrench to work it out. I did loosen the master cylinder mounting nuts and put some duct tape on the inner fender to keep from scratching the paint.

Its nice to work on a incredibly low mile car, all the nuts and bolts come out easy and everything is nice and clean

Both struts out in 45 minutes and I left her to be for the night

Got up this morning and headed to my buddies shop to mount the struts.

Painless install and no issues with anything!

Now she is frickin dirty sexy looking!! The ride height is perfect and what a world of difference in handling and corner carving.

Next step either BMR or Strano sway bar package front and rear...

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am 538 original miles and climbing...