Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Cruise + Rear Defrost Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise + Rear Defrost Not Working

Hey, thanks for the time in advance.

I've looked all over for a solution on this. I have a 2002 Pontiac Firebird TransAm. The other day, I noticed my rear defrost wasn't working. As I went driving that day I discovered that my cruise control as well wouldn't engage.

I looked around into the issue and, as would be expected, everything says the most likely problem is a fuse being out. I checked the 3 or 4 fuses that are for either cruise control or rear defrost, and changed them out with other fuses. The problem persisted, of course since it's still a problem. I didn't change out the relay, but it looked good as best I could tell.

The power seat functions all work just fine. I've heard that relays pretty much never go bad. I don't recall off hand what all was linked on the relay, but I did check everything I could linked to the fuses/relays and the only things that don't work are the rear defrost and the cruise control.

Any ideas/insight would be very appreciated
Old 02-27-2014, 02:04 PM

I was reading an earlier thread that the cruise control requires all the brake lights to be functioning at their best, including the third brake light. Check to make sure that light is fully illuminated. If not, I'd be searching for a broken ground on the hatch/back of the car. One would assume that is where the rear defroster would ground against as well. Best of Luck!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The rear defrost uses a 30amp breaker in the cabin fuse box. You can replace that with a regular 30amp fuse and be fine.

Thats what I did and its been working since.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by SFox
I was reading an earlier thread that the cruise control requires all the brake lights to be functioning at their best, including the third brake light. Check to make sure that light is fully illuminated. If not, I'd be searching for a broken ground on the hatch/back of the car. One would assume that is where the rear defroster would ground against as well. Best of Luck!
I checked around all the grounds in the back I could find, they're all secure. I have had 1 of my taillights out since I bought it, so I don't think that's an issue.

I changed around that breaker thing with the windows one, both are 30s, the problem still persisted.

The confusing thing is that the fuses are all tied to the Rear Defrost, Cruise, AND power seats. The power seats have yet to give me any issues, other than when I pull out the fuses.

I think there was a relay that does air conditioning and cruise control. I'm unsure if that would have anything to do with the rear defrost, though it doesn't seem like it. I don't know much about relays, but all the contacts looked clean when I pulled it out and looked at it. Everyone says relays pretty much never go bad.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:32 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

SynAdam, welcome to LS1tech!

I sent you a PM, please respond.

Quick Reply: Cruise + Rear Defrost Not Working