Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

My New Project: 2001 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by njsteve
The really weird thing was that there seemed to be two specific types of people that were selling these.

1) Young men who's wives just told them they were having a baby, and that they needed a larger car.
2) Older women who were the original owners of the cars.

It was three of each situation. Very strange to say the least.
People just say this to provide reasons for selling besides it having problems and becoming less reliable with age or because saying they wanted something more powerful can make people question if they should get the car. People also say it was the wife's because it's generally thought that she would be less hard on the drivetrain. Sometimes either of those are true, but don't believe it when they say it.

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I've never understood this line of thinking. You begin to teach responsibility and respect for the car early (like 13 in the OP's case) and ensure plenty of time behind the wheel. A kid can hurt himself or others in a Prius just as much as a Firebird.
I agree. People just hype up the teen crashes with sport cars in the news. The kind of kid that's going to push a vehicle beyond it's limits will do it with any car. Hondas are worse because for unknown reasons kids and their friends think they have a race car frame and suspension and wreck them on off ramps and backroads.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
Hondas are worse because for unknown reasons kids and their friends think they have a race car frame and suspension and wreck them on off ramps and backroads.
I would imagine VTEC Hondas give insane butt dyno readings to the younger kids who buy them because they haven't driven anything fast. My ex GF had a POS Kia Spectra that felt like it was fast as hell despite me knowing full well how slow this thing was. She tried racing my car I had at the time ( neglected 88 Trans Am GTA L98 ) and LOL. I might as well have pulled over and took a nap.

When VTEC activates and their car suddenly gets faster, their ignorance leads them to believe the car is actually fast.

To further compound this issue is the reliability of most Hondas is usually better than anything their friends have. So when their friend gets an old worn out 3.8L Grand Prix or Grand Am GT, it loses to the tiny little Honda and the Honda kid is given further evidence to his car being fast.

Its no wonder they try to race everything under the sun and then get a serious case of butthurt when they get their *** demolished by a stock 20 year old Muscle Car.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Today I drove the car down to my buddy's garage to try to get those pesky GM wheel locks off the rims. The seller couldn't find the key and deduced that Pep Boys didn't bother to put it back in the car when they sold her the most recent set of tires two years ago. So, luckily the Cornwall Tool truck showed up as we were trying the worn-out, lock remover socket that he had. They had a brand new one with sharp internal teeth that took the locks off rather easily. What a relief!

Later in the day the boy and I took the wheels off and cleaned the back sides of the rims to get the brake dust out. One thing I noticed was that the rear axle snubbers that are mounted to the frame had no snubber material left - it had just crumbled away when I touched the last bits of it. Were they made of some weird purplish looking urethane that didn't survive 13 years?
Old 06-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

I just did a little bit of searching here on the site and learned that this is a really common problem. I guess you learn something new every day! GM must have made the axle snubbers out of the same high quality plastic they made the door panels out of.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Very nice car!
Old 06-23-2014, 10:24 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The bump stops turn to junk over the years. Mine are somehow still in pretty good shape, but I will be replacing them with Prothane 11301 (add "BL" to the end if you'd prefer black) when the time comes:
Amazon.com: Prothane 1-1301 Red Axle Snubber Kit for CJ5, CJ7, CJ8 and YJ: Automotive Amazon.com: Prothane 1-1301 Red Axle Snubber Kit for CJ5, CJ7, CJ8 and YJ: Automotive
Old 06-24-2014, 05:09 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

When I was growing up, a neighbor had a 71 or something Formula-in Blue. I've always had a thing for early second gens.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

The white car is a neat one. I have a thing for one-owner, unmessed with original stuff. That is a 19,000 1973 Super Duty 455 Firebird Formula. One of 43 produced. Original paint. Nothing touched on the car since new, down to the original oil filter (I did drain the old oil and put in new stuff as it was black as coal). I drive it on modern radials but I even have the full set of recalled Firestone 500 radials stored away - the ones that killed dozens of people back in the 1970s and started the first of many Firestone recalls.

Here is a link to the thread on that car in case anyone is interested:

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=736345
Old 06-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

It was a nice day so I had the boy do an oil change on the car. I instructed him on the safe way to jack up the car and where to place the jackstands. Hysterical to watch an 80-pound kid try to turn a wrench on the drain plug. All he succeeded in doing was to rotate himself around the underside of the car. I then told him to brace himself against something and then try again. That worked a little better after I loosened it.

I was able to locate the engine VIN and take a photo of the spot, That only took about 25 attempts to get the light in one spot, the mirror in another spot and the camera in a position to capture it all.

The machine-etched VIN is on the back of the engine mounting area that mates with the transmission bellhousing. It is directly blocked from view by the driver's side catalytic converter. You can reach it with a mirror and then see it in reverse. I was thrilled to see it matched the car's VIN.

Here is the general location. The silver rod is the handle of the mirror.

And the actual VIN, stamped in a dot matrix format, as viewed on the mirror face.

Last edited by njsteve; 06-24-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Cars looking good. You found a diamond in the rough that needs a little spit and polish to be a real gem.
I have a garage full of pristine parts and a rolling shell at a body shop trade ya if you need a real project to tackle.
Car looks great keep updates coming.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

This evening me and the boy drove the car over to my buddy's garage and rebalanced the tires. The prior owner had religiously brought the car to Pepboys every couple months to get the car aligned and the wheels balanced. Besides losing the lug nut lock key, the Pepboys tire "experts" method of balancing the tires consisted of throwing the wheel on the machine and then adding another weight. They never bothered to remove the existing weights. The result was 4 rims with half a dozen weights on each rim.

So we pulled all the weights off and rebalanced each rim. Turns out each wheel only needed an ounce or less of weight.

The boy had a lot of fun using the impact wrench to remove the lugnuts. Had to train him to take his finger off the trigger....after half of the lug nuts skittered across the garage at hyperspeed.

We then headed home and made it into the garage ten seconds before a thunderstorm hit. Timing is everything!
Old 06-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Man! I'm jealous!

Such a shame that dealer took advantage of her, makes people like me (dealership employee) look bad.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

great score and you have to love a owner that truly mechanically maintains a car!
Old 06-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by No_Quarter
Man! I'm jealous!

Such a shame that dealer took advantage of her, makes people like me (dealership employee) look bad.
Thankfully, they did the actual work, so her monetary loss is the car's preservation gain. And mine, too. :-)
Old 06-26-2014, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

BTW, does anyone have this plastic, seat panel that goes on the driver's side seat and houses the control switches? Mine is broken (this is a photo from a set of seats on ebay).

I outlined the part I need. (I will post in the parts wanted section, too)
Attached Thumbnails My New Project: 2001 WS6-seat-side-.jpg  
Old 06-26-2014, 05:38 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Is that black or graphite (dark gray)?
Old 06-26-2014, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Ebony (black). Here is a shot of my actual seat and the broken section.

(I tried to place a wanted ad in the parts section but since I am a newbie I don't have access yet).
Attached Thumbnails My New Project: 2001 WS6-aaa.jpg  
Old 06-27-2014, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

moderndaymuscle.com has the part for the seat. I think the WS6 store and Classic Industries have the front license plate cover. Great looking TA!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

I checked moderndaymuscle.com and they have the side panel for the earlier seats with the joystick and 2 toggle levers, not the later three switch panel. I appreciate the lead, though. The search continues!
Old 06-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by njsteve
I checked moderndaymuscle.com and they have the side panel for the earlier seats with the joystick and 2 toggle levers, not the later three switch panel. I appreciate the lead, though. The search continues!
That part shows up on rare occasions on eBay but not very often. You've seen the issue already as several sites will have the other seat panel but not this specific one.

Quick Reply: My New Project: 2001 WS6