Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Neighbors complain about noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neighbors complain about noise?

I guess I had a cop come by my house yesterday when I wasn't home because he had two complaints about the noise of my car. I don't ever drive fast in my neighborhood but it does make some noise when started.

It's probably not any louder than say a Harley driving around at half throttle because I barely give my car any gas driving through the neighborhood.

I've got super picky neighbors that are old and retired and probably have nothing better to do. But has anyone else had this problem? I don't really want to make alterations to the car, obviously, as I love how it sounds and it's not a daily driver by any means.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's why I live in the country!
Old 07-09-2014, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best advice, is that they complain like you said because they have no better things to do. check your local city ordinances regarding noise, most are like ours, from 10pm to 6am noise found to be disruptive(from a distance of 100 feet) can earn a citation if persists after police warning, the rest of the day its open season. people can leaf blow weed whack mow, pound on there roofs blare music and rev theyre harleys and pickups all they want. unless your out cranking her up nonstop at 3 am, nothing wrong. However, if the neighbors call and complain, an officer is obligated to investigate, and will end up explaining the noise ordinance to them, as well as you.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 515 Likes on 372 Posts

Sounds like you being responsible and smart about your driving but if your decibel level is too high (and in violation of the local noise ordinance) you could get issued a summons or ticket when you drive. I'm surprised the officer didn't explain anything to you about the statutes or ordinances you could be violating. For the police to cite you in the future they need to personally see an exhaust system violation or have a decibel reading device. Otherwise the neighbors will have to file something on their own civilly. They can do it if motivated enough. I doubt Utah is any different in this matter than the states I know about. Can't be certain though. Sometimes there are exceptions.
Sorry to hear about your situation. I loved loud cars in my younger days and had really incredible side pipes on an old '71 Plymouth with a 383. It was loud! The neighbors didn't like it and the local officers couldn't tell if there was a muffling device inside the side pipes. I said there was. Never got a ticket for the exhaust. Wish I could say the same about the speeding.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

also want to add, so long as your car is street legal, you can start/drive/come home in the middle of the night just dont rev the **** out of it when u do, and thats still legal, cant stop from driving it.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely check your county/city laws for a noise ordinance and know where you stand legally. Some places have specific times or amounts of sound specified, others don't. Odds are nothing will come of it unless as NC01 said you do it in front of the police.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

I had this happen at a house I lived at many years ago. After a few complaints, I started driving intentionally loud. To show them how loud it could be if I wanted it to. This was with my Mustang GT with a catless X-pipe and Magnaflow Magnapack catback.

*video is not my actual car. Just an example of the setup I was running.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As long as its within the legal sound limits and you aren't being a jackass with it at like 4am or something, there isn't a single thing anyone can do about it.

I would go talk to them and ask them if they would prefer you to be as loud as possible with it. It may be a loud car, but you're clearly driving it as quiet as possible out of respect and they still complain? **** em. 1st gear gear all the way down the street.

I could see where they were coming from if it was a DD, but it isn't so its not like you have it rumbling their house every morning. Some people are going to complain regardless so you may as well have some fun with it.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Which SLP exhaust do you have? Just out of curiosity.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll check my county ordinances. I NEVER rev it up or do anything excessive with it. Just bugs.

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Sounds like you being responsible and smart about your driving but if your decibel level is too high (and in violation of the local noise ordinance) you could get issued a summons or ticket when you drive. I'm surprised the officer didn't explain anything to you about the statutes or ordinances you could be violating. For the police to cite you in the future they need to personally see an exhaust system violation or have a decibel reading device. Otherwise the neighbors will have to file something on their own civilly. They can do it if motivated enough. I doubt Utah is any different in this matter than the states I know about. Can't be certain though. Sometimes there are exceptions.
Sorry to hear about your situation. I loved loud cars in my younger days and had really incredible side pipes on an old '71 Plymouth with a 383. It was loud! The neighbors didn't like it and the local officers couldn't tell if there was a muffling device inside the side pipes. I said there was. Never got a ticket for the exhaust. Wish I could say the same about the speeding.
Thanks for the info, man. I wasn't home when he stopped by. I was just told that he stopped by. I'm sure he would have explained it had I been home. Sounds like a pretty sweet Plymouth!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee 487
As long as its within the legal sound limits and you aren't being a jackass with it at like 4am or something, there isn't a single thing anyone can do about it.

I would go talk to them and ask them if they would prefer you to be as loud as possible with it. It may be a loud car, but you're clearly driving it as quiet as possible out of respect and they still complain? **** em. 1st gear gear all the way down the street.

I could see where they were coming from if it was a DD, but it isn't so its not like you have it rumbling their house every morning. Some people are going to complain regardless so you may as well have some fun with it.
Exactly! I try and be extra quiet in the neighborhood, but I think it's the dude's hobby to complain and anything he can since he has nothing else to do.

Originally Posted by red04montels
Which SLP exhaust do you have? Just out of curiosity.
SLP Loudmouth.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Roidz24
Exactly! I try and be extra quiet in the neighborhood, but I think it's the dude's hobby to complain and anything he can since he has nothing else to do.

SLP Loudmouth.
LMI I assume? If it's LMII you have some lame neighbors.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by red04montels

LMI I assume? If it's LMII you have some lame neighbors.
Yeah LMI I. It's hella loud when I get on it but the neighbors are still pretty lame because I never get on it in the neighborhood
Old 07-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Sounds like your neighbors need to get a hobby haha. I worry about the same thing happening cuz I live in a townhome community and have high flow cat and wide open borla on my car. I only crank her up once a week or less but when I drive it I come home late and worry someone might make a stink.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

off topic can you take a video of your car driving easy and then drive it hard . im looking to do a lm1 with my longtubes and catless y .

Sucks you have ******* neighbors.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:26 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
....Never got a ticket for the exhaust. Wish I could say the same about the speeding.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Neighbors are complaining about mine as well and the one across the street asked me how much it would cost to put the OEM mufflers back on He said "the cops are looking out for me and know what my car looks like". No ****, I have the only trans am convertible in the area and it is very distinct. The only time I drive it is maybe once a week to work and then on the weekends or after work to the beach. I don't drive obnoxiously because I realize my car is loud.

To put into perspective what our neighbors complain about, my roommate has a 600RR with a 100% stock exhaust that they complained about being too loud...
Old 07-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
off topic can you take a video of your car driving easy and then drive it hard . im looking to do a lm1 with my longtubes and catless y .

Sucks you have ******* neighbors.
Yeah sure. I'll see if I have some videos already. If not I'll take some n post em up. I absolutely love how it sounds. I don't think it could sound any better
Old 07-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Roidz24
Yeah LMI I. It's hella loud when I get on it but the neighbors are still pretty lame because I never get on it in the neighborhood
Originally Posted by Streetlegal?
Neighbors are complaining about mine as well and the one across the street asked me how much it would cost to put the OEM mufflers back on He said "the cops are looking out for me and know what my car looks like". No ****, I have the only trans am convertible in the area and it is very distinct. The only time I drive it is maybe once a week to work and then on the weekends or after work to the beach. I don't drive obnoxiously because I realize my car is loud.

To put into perspective what our neighbors complain about, my roommate has a 600RR with a 100% stock exhaust that they complained about being too loud...
If this was Facebook I would have tagged you :p

Did Konrad put a new muffler on the bike? Sounds like you're surrounded by a bunch of old angry people.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I used to have the LM 1 with mods in sig, but switched to a Magnaflow because the LM 1 was way to raspy. Lived the loss raw sound, but that horrible rasp made it sound like a piece of crap imo lol. Oh and my neighbors hated that setup as well lol

Quick Reply: Neighbors complain about noise?